Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

yeah, I'm gonna watch it again in 2D to find out if it works just as well without all that. BTW, where were you Beeksy? We may have been sitting in the same auditorium! ( 6.25, AMC Great Northern)

Beeks

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 September, 2012, 11:42:35 PM
yeah, I'm gonna watch it again in 2D to find out if it works just as well without all that. BTW, where were you Beeksy? We may have been sitting in the same auditorium! ( 6.25, AMC Great Northern)

I went to see it in cineworld Leigh as it's only 10 minutes drive from where I'm living now..was a good turn out..nearly full!

Just remembered about the Judged gang!

Like Darth Maul..should have had more screen time!  :lol:

Oh and when the 2D comes out locally..give me a shout and we can hook up
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Dandontdare

cool, let's do it. Yeah, did like The Judged.

Buttonman

Spikes

Quote from: exilewood on 07 September, 2012, 11:24:36 PM
It wasn't really Judge Dredd though.

It wasn't funny.

Anderson wasn't Anderson. The name & the fact that she's Psi were the only similarities.

The film Dredd and the comic strip Dredd, though linked, are two seperate things, surely?
And both interpretations can equally be valid? Thats the way i see it, anyway.

Beeks

Quote from: Buttonman on 07 September, 2012, 11:50:40 PM

You lucky people - the old Definite Article Movie Blog Reignited for Dredd 3D

Good read buttonman..only quibble is I disagree with the corrupt judges..In a city like Mega City 1..corruption on all levels of society is realistic..even the indoctrinated  judges..there are bound to be a few bad apples that fall off the tree..
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

radiator

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 September, 2012, 11:14:39 PM
one of the newspaper reviews described it as "a narcotic whose only function seems to be to make gunfights look really cool". I guess the euphoria must be implied, otherwise it'd be a crappy drug, so fair enough.

My main issue though was that plot-wise it could've been any drug, slo-mo seemed to only be there as a thinly-veiled plot device to show off cutting-edge SFX techniques, and that's never a good idea for the longevity of a movie - Like those early 3d movies that always included contrived scenes of things coming out of the screen for no reason.

The concept of the slo mo drug has been described by Garland as one of those off the wall concepts you'd find in one of those classic Wagner/Grant 6 page one off stories. I quite like that.

darnmarr

Quote from: Beeks on 07 September, 2012, 11:59:19 PM
..only quibble is I disagree with the corrupt judges..In a city like Mega City 1..corruption on all levels of society is realistic..even the indoctrinated  judges..there are bound to be a few bad apples that fall off the tree..
Especially when you consider the twin facets of the Judges power and the constant danger they are in... knowing human nature, if anything it's surprising they're not all corrupt.

radiator

Quote from: Buttonman on 07 September, 2012, 11:50:40 PM

You lucky people - the old Definite Article Movie Blog Reignited for Dredd 3D

Good read buttonman..only quibble is I disagree with the corrupt judges..In a city like Mega City 1..corruption on all levels of society is realistic..even the indoctrinated  judges..there are bound to be a few bad apples that fall off the tree..

Bent judges are such a tried and tested trope of the comics, they've just released a collection of all stories based around the concept.

Beeks

Quote from: darnmarr on 08 September, 2012, 12:05:04 AM
..only quibble is I disagree with the corrupt judges..In a city like Mega City 1..corruption on all levels of society is realistic..even the indoctrinated  judges..there are bound to be a few bad apples that fall off the tree..
Especially when you consider the twin facets of the Judges power and the constant danger they are in... knowing human nature, if anything it's surprising they're not all corrupt.

That was another thing that really hit home..the helplessness of it all

It's almost as if the Judges are fighting a losing battle..what did he say? They deal with just 6% of crime in the city?

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Buttonman

My quibble was that, like the first film, they have to sell the concept that the Judges are a single minded, determined force and right away that's undermined by bent officers. I agree logically there will be dodgy officers on the force but to have them from the off seems to be sending the audience a mixed and confusing message.

Beeks

One thing that I didn't like is the fact none of the bad guys seemed to know who Dredd was..in the comic his very name strikes fear into perps..the most famous Judge in the Meg

Mudcrab

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 September, 2012, 12:11:28 AM
My quibble was that, like the first film, they have to sell the concept that the Judges are a single minded, determined force and right away that's undermined by bent officers. I agree logically there will be dodgy officers on the force but to have them from the off seems to be sending the audience a mixed and confusing message.

That's a good point, though it reminds me of my intro to Dredd many years ago. The Day the Law Died. Right so there's Dredd, he's the main man, but then I see heaps of other Judges (8 year old confusion) and a lot of them are bad i.e. Cal's loyals? Certainly confused me, was happy to see Ro-Jaws n Hammerstein later.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Dandontdare

Yeah, but when the bent judge gives the "THE Judge Dredd" speech, it made up for it.

Buttman, very good review, but
QuoteOf the three main characters, the villain, Ma-Ma is the weakest. I wasn't convinced that she had the drive or charisma to lead legions of cannon fodder gangsters and her powers were limited to looking a bit thoughtful.

plus biting cocks off and gouging out eyes with her thumbs  :o