Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnmarr

Quote from: Buttonman on 08 September, 2012, 12:11:28 AM
My quibble was that, like the first film, they have to sell the concept that the Judges are a single minded, determined force and right away that's undermined by bent officers. I agree logically there will be dodgy officers on the force but to have them from the off seems to be sending the audience a mixed and confusing message.
Fair point, but what it took from presenting 'clarity-of-concept' it gained in 'interesting-plot-twist, for me.

Buttonman

Good points well made.

I agree cock biting is a terrifying super power and withdraw my reservations.

As for the bent judges I'm fine with them too but it's the man in the street I worry about - he's as thick as horse shit and liable to say what's happening who's the goodies?

To that end I was glad the bent judges barely lasted a scene loads of guys chasing each other in identical uniforms is a recipie for diasater.

That said it was a great bit when Anderson just capped her bent judge without a second thought.

A.Cow

Nobody seems to have suggested that the timing of the movie release could cause problems?

The two scenes of bodies falling from a height and hitting the ground graphically ... a few days before the anniversary of 9/11?  Perhaps the US release was deliberately timed not only to create a swell of good word-of-mouth, but also to avoid any awkward comparisons?

However, surely the comparison only needs to be made in the British gutter press (i.e. Daily Mail) and somebody will start screaming how the film is 'disrespectful' to those people whose lives were extinguished jumping from the Twin Towers.  If that happens, I can't see that going down too well when it finally hits US shores.

Dandontdare

Quote from: A.Cow on 08 September, 2012, 12:26:21 AM
However, surely the comparison only needs to be made in the British gutter press (i.e. Daily Mail) and somebody will start screaming how the film is 'disrespectful' to those people whose lives were extinguished jumping from the Twin Towers. 

ssssshhhhh - they only get stupid ideas like that by lurking around the comments section of the internet (AKA Care in the Community).

darnmarr

In a year that's seen: school-shootings,cinema shootings and god-knows-what variety of armed futsie behaviour  might well be in the news tomorrow,- the notion that this film  might be in bad taste because people fall down a very long way at some point and that this somehow references a ten-year old terrorist attack is just ludicrous enough to actually gain acceptance in looney right-wing media, so I must concur with Dandontdare: let us never speak of this again...

hazy efc

Quote from: darnmarr on 08 September, 2012, 12:42:02 AM
In a year that's seen: school-shootings,cinema shootings and god-knows-what variety of armed futsie behaviour  might well be in the news tomorrow,- the notion that this film  might be in bad taste because people fall down a very long way at some point and that this somehow references a ten-year old terrorist attack is just ludicrous enough to actually gain acceptance in looney right-wing media, so I must concur with Dandontdare: let us never speak of this again...
well said sir   :thumbsup:

Michaelvk

I let out an involuntarily giggle when one bloke's head blew up..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

hazy efc

I was thinking about the scene when dredd cottons on that the judges who turn up to back him and anderson up turn out to be bent how did he cotton on again i didnt quite get it, and for anyone who no`s can you PM me as to not spoil it for the folks who aint seen the movie yet thanx  :D

Dandontdare

the distress call was for 2 judges under fire - Dredd thought it odd that the judge never even enquired about Anderson

Dandontdare

and no need for spoilers in THIS THREAD ONLY! Anyone who comes here and gets, spoilered, fuckem

CYCLOPZ

It was also something to do with the bent Judge's Smile.

Dredd smelled bullshit.

darnmarr

Fuck 'em in the EAR!! :lol:
Quote from: Buttonman on 08 September, 2012, 12:22:32 AM
...That said it was a great bit when Anderson just capped her bent judge without a second thought.
I didn't like that Anderson took out the female Judge... it created a tiny echo in my mind of the contrived 'cat-fight' twixt Hershey and sexy  asian scientist woman back in the 95 nonsense and I really didn't appreciate  any reminder of  the old whilst watching the new.
Here's a question: do you reckon that Dredd, in spite of a female protagonist( coz let's face  it: it's Anderson's story) and a female antagonist, still remains a flick that's essentially a flick for the chaps? All Anna Karenina daily mash-up jokes aside? Does it pass/fail the Bechdel test ?

HdE

Just saw the movie tonight. For me, it was a four-stars-out-of-five experience.

This certainly does FEEL like Dredd, which is possibly the best compliment I can give the movie. The dialogue between Dredd and Anderson has that understated but incisive feel that I expect from a really great Wagner-written Dredd story. Loved how there were no attempts made to sugar-coat the brutality and cheapness of life in Mega City 1. We were promised an apt level of violence as befits the subject material. The movie delivered.

I could heap a TONNE of praise on this movie, and I suspect I will over the coming months, in various different places. But for now, here's what DIDN'T work for me:

MC 1 itself. While I don't think a bad job was done portraying Dredd's stomping ground, I REALLY would have loved to have seen something more akin to the splendour of the city as it's depicted in more modern Dredd stories. Some curves in among the jutting mega-blocks would have assuaged that concern. Also, more flying traffic was really needed, and I really DO have a problem with the vehicles that were shown.

Also, REALLY not too keen on the many instances of 'f*ck' and other actual profanities in the script. I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this, but the comparative LACK of strong language in the comic in spite of its brutality is actually part of the appeal for me. I also wasn't a fan of Dredd uttering 'shit' before things really got hairy - although I can't really put my finger on why that is. I do think Dredd is known as much for its inventive future-swears as much as anything else - although I can see that there might be a case for these sounding silly and out of place in this movie.

I also think there could have been a smidge more story complexity and maybe an effort to tie things together a little more cleverly.

HOWEVER - these all really amount to nitpicks over a movie that was great fun, and somehow felt longer and grander than its running time. Mega City 1 has ALWAYS been a fun place for me to get lost in where the books are concerned, and that feeling is pleasantly replicated in the movie, even despite the relatively constrained setting of Peach Trees block. It's FULL of neat character moments, feels faithful to the comics, and is written very smartly in places. For example, [spoiler]Dredd's dialogue when he passes Anderson[/spoiler] could have easily been over-written into schmaltz and cheese. But it was underplayed, and all the more powerful for it. I also really liked the number of plot points that seemd almost designed to have us fanboys giggling in our seats and going 'Uh-oh! I think I know what's coming ne-ee-eext!'

So, overall: SMART STUFF! My thanks and gratitude go to everybody who made this movie happen. It makes up for the '95 tragedy in truly authoritative style. I REALLY want a sequel!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

FoldsFive

Quote from: darnmarr on 08 September, 2012, 12:42:02 AM

Hear, hear. The thought of any link had never honestly crossed my mind.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: darnmarr on 08 September, 2012, 01:06:34 AM
Fuck 'em in the EAR!! :lol:
Quote from: Buttonman on 08 September, 2012, 12:22:32 AM
...That said it was a great bit when Anderson just capped her bent judge without a second thought.
I didn't like that Anderson took out the female Judge... it created a tiny echo in my mind of the contrived 'cat-fight' twixt Hershey and sexy  asian scientist woman back in the 95 nonsense and I really didn't appreciate  any reminder of  the old whilst watching the new.
Here's a question: do you reckon that Dredd, in spite of a female protagonist( coz let's face  it: it's Anderson's story) and a female antagonist, still remains a flick that's essentially a flick for the chaps? All Anna Karenina daily mash-up jokes aside? Does it pass/fail the Bechdel test ?

Hmm.. I'm not sure the two girls speak to each other at any point in the film - about a man or anything else.

But, two girls in strong starring roles? Yeah I think girls and guys will like this film equally as much.