Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Somewhat baffled by the contention by some critics that the film lacks the strip's satirical bite: the comic is rarely overtly critical of Dredd himself (except when Alan Grant is writing) preferring to allow Dredd's actions to stand for what they are and allow the reader to be appalled/amused/enthused as they see fit.

It seems to me that having a scene where Dredd soundly beats a suspect for information and then retires to the corner of the room, seething with silent menace with the stars 'n' stripes behind him, while his psychic subordinate rips the information from the suspect's mind is not short of satirical intent.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Keef Monkey

Thought the bent judges were a great move personally, it was at that point that it most felt like Dredd the man was something special, an embodiment of the law fighting a losing battle where even his allies were corruptible. In fact that was probably one of the real strengths of the film in general for me, you really felt like Dredd's situation was desperate, and Urban did such a great nuanced job that watching it I got the impression hat somewhere buried deep down in there Dredd is terrified at times. That's something I don't think I've even felt as effectively in the comics before.

Also didn't mind that the citizen's didn't know who he was, it kind of makes sense in a city that size and at a relatively early stage of his career. The fact that the other judges had some reverence (or hatred) for him was enough. The "I am the law" speech still rings true, if not truer, as it's more about his own self-belief than anything else, you get the impression he doesn't say it because he thinks he in particular is special, rather that he believes every judge is an embodiment of the law and should see themselves as such. That's another reason why crooked judges are such good villains for him.

Also, it meant we got to see judges being killed, which wouldn't have happened otherwise. Not sure why, but there was something powerful and disturbing about the image of that first judge dropping dead, was one of the shots that stuck with me.

JOE SOAP

Implicit satire is too much for some people Jim, they want it smashed like a pie in the face. I think the scene with the medic barring them from the med-centre is another example and there's quite a few more but some people want to be tickled more and not to have to think too much.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 September, 2012, 10:17:28 AM
Implicit satire is too much for some people Jim, they want it smashed like a pie in the face. I think the scene with the medic barring them from the med-centre is another example and there's quite a few more but some people want to be tickled more and not to have to think too much.

Totally, the "No creds no meds" sign was a great touch too.

Dan Kelly

Saw it last night and really enjoyed. It's set apart from the comics in many ways (look and feel of the city, swearing etc.) but thes things allow it to be its own thing b

That said it is more recognisably Dredd than the other one.

Our showing wasn't full and I'm not sure how many people were fans. Hopefully word of mouth will allow it to be a slow burner.

One question left hanging is what Anderson picks up about Dredd at the start before she's cut off by the CJ(?)

DeFuzzed

A lot of what you've said above is really what made me scratch my head when I remembered critics saying the film lacked depth, or story, or characters. In just over 90 minutes, they packed in all that and so much more - even when I said I missed the forum shout-outs and other comic details (like Judge Child), that was wholly because there was already so much going on and I was engrossed - in the characters and story and sheer depth of the world-making.

And personally, I thought satire and humour was dripping from it in spades. And intelligence too; brainless action flick it ain't, and any critic who thought it was needs to get their own IQ checked.

Love it so much I could cry. And yes, John and Carlos getting that big first credit was a wonderful homage that seriously made my throat clench up.

Steve Green

Quote from: Dan Kelly on 08 September, 2012, 10:30:22 AM
Saw it last night and really enjoyed. It's set apart from the comics in many ways (look and feel of the city, swearing etc.) but thes things allow it to be its own thing b

That said it is more recognisably Dredd than the other one.

Our showing wasn't full and I'm not sure how many people were fans. Hopefully word of mouth will allow it to be a slow burner.

One question left hanging is what Anderson picks up about Dredd at the start before she's cut off by the CJ(?)

His boots are too tight.

or laying the ground for him being a clone of fargo - if the treatment was to go an origins route in sequels.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 08 September, 2012, 10:14:32 AM
you get the impression he doesn't say it because he thinks he in particular is special, rather that he believes every judge is an embodiment of the law and should see themselves as such.

Precisely this. The first time Stallone said "I am the law", I knew the '95 film had got the character wrong -- Stallone's delivery is full of swagger and ego; it's about the 'I' when it should be about the 'law'. By the time you reach the point where he declares "I didn't break the law, I AM the law!" you're just in a world of wrong.

The law is a conceptual ideal, of which Dredd is a representative, a servant, and that's what you feel in Urban's delivery that is entirely lacking in Stallone's.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 September, 2012, 10:47:11 AM

Quote from: Steve Green on 08 September, 2012, 10:47:11 AM
or laying the ground for him being a clone of fargo - if the treatment was to go an origins route in sequels.

Possibly, or just that ineffable Dredd thing. I think Lex's words to Dredd about being The Judge Dredd were certainly hinting at Dredd's blood-ties.

dweezil2

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 08 September, 2012, 10:36:30 AM

Love it so much I could cry. And yes, John and Carlos getting that big first credit was a wonderful homage that seriously made my throat clench up.

I know what you mean!

When Dredd was shot near the end of the film, I could feel my eyes welling up-such was my attachment with the character!
The interplay between Dredd and Anderson was excellent and Urban and Thirlby should be commended for their brilliant performances.
I just loved all the subtext beteween them-an intense glare here, a quizzical glance there. No mean feat, when you're wearing a helmet and only ones chin is visible.
There relationship was the heart of the movie and really elevated it from mindless action fodder.
And the film was brimming with pithy one liners and indignant grunts just like the comic. That was Judge Dredd on the screen!
And quite brilliant it was too!  :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

So Kermode said Dredd is not a better film because it's not the Raid and because it's in 3D. Odd. Yet he gave Prometheus a free pass even though its 3D is a lot worse and is a lesser film.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 September, 2012, 11:09:14 AM
So Kermode said Dredd is not a better film because it's not the Raid and because it's in 3D. Odd. Yet he gave Prometheus a free pass even though its 3D is a lot worse and is a lesser film.

Dredd pisses all over The Raid, which had zero character development and didn't have Judge Dredd in it!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: dweezil2 on 08 September, 2012, 11:13:18 AM
Dredd pisses all over The Raid, which had zero character development and didn't have Judge Dredd in it!

They aren't in competition.

radiator

I cannot believe Kermode said The Raid had a 'better depth of character' than Dredd. I'm sorry, but that is such a load of bullshit. I can't remember anything about the lead in The Raid, other than he had a pregnant wife and he was a bit tasty with a machete. I'm not slating The Raid - but they clearly weren't even trying for character development or world-building. It's far more videogame-like and one-dimensional than Dredd.

DeFuzzed

Quote from: dweezil2 on 08 September, 2012, 10:59:12 AM

When Dredd was shot near the end of the film, I could feel my eyes welling up-such was my attachment with the character!
The interplay between Dredd and Anderson was excellent and Urban and Thirlby should be commended for their brilliant performances.

Their interplay was glorious! Loved it. And the development, progression, of this relationship, despite the shortness in time, was so well done. I believed it completely. At the end, when they were moving as a team and clearing the space - you could see how Anderson had come into her own. SO well acted. You could see Dredd trusting her to have his back - again, so well acted.

Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT. :)