Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelvk

Quote from: GordyM on 09 September, 2012, 11:29:14 AMAnd while it was a great "Don't f*** with me moment", the bit where Dredd emerges from the smoke to toss a guy down to the ground far below to send a warning really jarred with me - comic Dredd would've taken the clear shot he had at Ma-ma, not make a statement.

I reckon tere was also a large element of "You can send a message, and so can I. And conserve ammunition too.."
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

darnmarr

Quote from: judgefett on 09 September, 2012, 07:23:16 AM
... admit i still piss myself thinking bout the scene where dredds pushed her out the window and a boarder-dont remember who sorry- put a santa hat on him sayin merry xmas on a still of it!
Ho ho ho! it was I, :the jolly ghost of Dreddmas present! :lol:

DKCX

I have a question regarding the two Juves in one scene.
[spoiler]Why didn't he execute the two juves who were clearly trying to kill him?
Was he conserving his ammo by using the stun shots on them?[/spoiler]

darnmarr

no need for tags on this thread: and 'yes'.

Danbo

And the fact that he didn't have too,sure hes a badass but not so devoid of humanity that he would kill some kids unless they fired first.That scene had me twitching as to if he would 'go there'.Actually glad he didn't.
He walks a very fine line.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

darnmarr

indeed: he's not a jumpy, frightened, kid-with-a-gun cop* : he knows instinctively the difference between a threat and an irritation.

*of the type that so often do shoot people in real-life..

Buttonman

1/5 in today's Telegraph from Jenny McCartney. Says it's "deeply unpleasant and strangely dull". At the risk of sounding a bit sexist why are they sending a lady to this? It's hardly the target demographic. I mean in the same page she gives Anna Karenina 4/5 and gushes over its dazzling spectacle. One film was always suffering with one reviewer covering both.

DKCX

I thought that was an interesting scene, could have went both ways.
If he had plently of ammo, would he still have taken the stun option?

Danbo

Imagine the uproar if he would have gunned down two kids on screen,the Daily Mail campaign that would have followed would have been unreal.They probably would have gone after 2000AD it's self.
Ban this sick filth etc... not worth the hassle.

Plus Dredd didn't NEED too,he would have to have arrest himself knowing how mule headed he can be.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

darnmarr

Quote from: SneakeeX on 09 September, 2012, 12:21:49 PM
..If he had plently of ammo, would he still have taken the stun option?
I think so; in terms of the film's contruction, he was 'still only on the bottom floor' both physically and in terms of the story,- shows the character as measured rather than simply kill-crazy, and still plenty of time to get messier as things went on.

SIP

Just to add my praise for the film.......

I saw it on Friday afternoon and I am hard pushed to find any negatives. I thought that the film was just completely excellent.

I absolutely loved the visual style which felt suitably grim and grimy. The design of the judges, the bike, the blocks - fantastic. It really made me believe in the deprivation and lawlessness of the city.

Karl Urban was first rate. I was already a fan and was so pleased when I originally heard that he had been cast. He did not disappoint. Olivia Thrilby was equally convincing as Anderson and Lena Headey great as Ma Ma. Only the senior/chief judge woman (what rank was she?) gave a slightly off performance. Maybe that was just me.

It has been the first time in many years that I woke up the next day and wanted to go and see a film again immediately. Hopefully I will get back to the cinema in a week or so for another viewing.  Will certainly be buying the Blu Ray.

I have followed all of Dredd (and 2000ad) since the 70's and this film gets a big thumbs up from me to everyone involved - you did a first rate job and you did Dredd proud. Thanks!

Simon

Steve Green

The slight contrivance was why he didn't take any ammo from Chan considering he knew he had to conserve ammo.

I really loved the western feel when he's walking along the corridor on his own, curtains twitching.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Buttonman on 09 September, 2012, 12:18:51 PM
1/5 in today's Telegraph from Jenny McCartney. Says it's "deeply unpleasant and strangely dull". At the risk of sounding a bit sexist why are they sending a lady to this? It's hardly the target demographic. I mean in the same page she gives Anna Karenina 4/5 and gushes over its dazzling spectacle. One film was always suffering with one reviewer covering both.

The one review online of Dredd from the Telegraph gives it a decent review and 3 stars, by
Tim Robey here -http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/9525727/Dredd-3D-review.html
(my first link post  :D)

darnmarr

Quote from: Buttonman on 09 September, 2012, 12:18:51 PM
... at the risk of sounding a bit sexist why are they sending a lady to this?
Actually, from what I can tell, it seems to be doing reasonably alright amongst the  ladies:

SmallBlueThing

With regard to the question of 'why send a woman to review dredd?', it shouldnt matter- critics' reviews in the media are personal reactions to a film, not a judgement based upon the empirical 'quality'. It's all opinion, and media outlets employ critics based upon the style which they give that opinion. There's no wrong or right. If a paper's critic is female, she gets to review it if she wants to. The two films mentioned are not mutually exclusive, and it would be possible to enjoy both.

The problem is, too many people seem to think that critics are using some kind of skill in their reviews- that their opinion on film is somehow 'more important' than yours. It really isnt. Ive seen people genuinely google a film before seeing it and decide not to rent, buy or see it based on a review from a respected media outlet, despite having been excited about the movie previously.

What's the worst that could happen if you watch a film and dont like it?

SBT