Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnmarr

Mind you: from that same Imdb data,- apparantly men lose all their critical faculties after 45, and women's ability to appreciate good films takes a sudden leap...so not sure solid what conclusions may be drawn...

James

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 09 September, 2012, 08:23:01 AM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 09 September, 2012, 03:35:12 AM

The unarmed combat was lovely, effective moves to disable and kill. We don't need protracted scenes of hitting people with bars and such crap and they still don't go down, that every other film has. When the Judges fight it's with minimum fuss but maximum damage!

This! - I wanted effective fighting and that's what I got. No 'balletic' anything, just get in there and get them down. Fantastic.

I particularly liked when Dredd had that fight with the other Judge and finished him off with a well planned, focused and effective chip to the throat. I'm dying to see that again but on first watch the camera work and editing in that was great. And the fact that he was still standing  whenDredd had long gone and the others arrived.

Buttonman

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 September, 2012, 12:42:20 PM

The one review online of Dredd from the Telegraph gives it a decent review and 3 stars, by
Tim Robey here -http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/filmreviews/9525727/Dredd-3D-review.html
(my first link post  :D)

Good effort! If you hit the second icon from the left above the smilies that looks like a globe you can add the link as a hyper link letting your reader click rather than cut and past to get to the article. Even better is, and this is at the far reach of my skills you take out the first closing bracket and add an '=' sign then paste the URL before rplacing the bracket - you can now add text between the brackets noting what the link is. Amazing!  Telegrapgh article

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 September, 2012, 12:54:53 PM
With regard to the question of 'why send a woman to review dredd?', it shouldnt matter- critics' reviews in the media are personal reactions to a film, not a judgement based upon the empirical 'quality'. It's all opinion, and media outlets employ critics based upon the style which they give that opinion. There's no wrong or right. If a paper's critic is female, she gets to review it if she wants to. The two films mentioned are not mutually exclusive, and it would be possible to enjoy both.

The problem is, too many people seem to think that critics are using some kind of skill in their reviews- that their opinion on film is somehow 'more important' than yours. It really isnt. Ive seen people genuinely google a film before seeing it and decide not to rent, buy or see it based on a review from a respected media outlet, despite having been excited about the movie previously.

What's the worst that could happen if you watch a film and dont like it?

SBT

I agree to some extent but it should really be 'horses for courses' the person considering Dredd doesn't need to see it rubbished by an art house critic he wants to know how it rates in the genre, not that it's bad because of violence - he knows it's violent anyway he want's to know if it's good relative to its peers in the genre.

MenschMaschine

As said before they nailed the character and the mood,but for me the idea to pull Mega-city back closer to our reality is where they really hit the mark. It makes the whole thing so ghastly as  subtle.
Is needless to go far in the future to see mega blocks like that. Hang around any council block in some areas of London and you'll find out places filled with poverty, ruled by gangs with criminals dealing drugs openly at the corridors. Anderson executing that guy to just a few moments later discover that he possibly wasn't a perp but someone pushed to the limits by the enviroment which he's lived is remarkable and handled in a magnificently subtle way that doesn't patronise the viewer. It's like make social/political comment without be dull or prepotent. As result, Dredd is  rather a deeper film than what  ocasional goers would expect from a action flick.
Well done guys :D

HdE

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 09 September, 2012, 12:54:53 PM

The problem is, too many people seem to think that critics are using some kind of skill in their reviews- that their opinion on film is somehow 'more important' than yours. It really isnt. Ive seen people genuinely google a film before seeing it and decide not to rent, buy or see it based on a review from a respected media outlet, despite having been excited about the movie previously.

What's the worst that could happen if you watch a film and dont like it?

Bang on the money!

I occasionally write reviews for an anime website, which was something I got into because I was pretty much apalled at the laziness, lack of objectivity and tone of so many reviews I've seen in newspapers and magazines. At the end of the day, a review presents somebody's opinion. There is NO 'ah, but...' to that.

I had a friend once who had taken a media studies course at college, and thought that made him the absolute authority on which movies folks he knew should see. He was the sort of immature personality that actually got IRATE when people didn't listen to him and went to see whichever movie was in question. He basically liked talking about movies because it gave him a platform to demonstarte to everybody how clever he thought he was. Sadly, some people get taken in by that claptrap.

Fact is, 'critics' can bemoan a lack of depth, social commentary or thought provoking subtext all they like. There's a lot of films out there that work extremely hard to provide those things, and turn out as utter snorefests. Really diabolical movies. Why are they diabolical? Because THEY'RE NOT FUN! Audiences are generally not looking for the things those guys search for in their critical analyses. That's a fact. If they were, there'd be no market for Steven Segal movies.

Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SmallBlueThing

Absolutely, regarding critics. It's one of the reasons i never buy those generic 'film guides' or magazines such as Empire, etc. I really see non-genre movies so infrequently that it's only horror films i can honestly say i have any interest in. If i read a review, i want that review to judge the movie in context (that context being something other than 'all horror movies are shit') so i only go to mags like fango, black static or sites such as UHM. I really dont care what non genre-fans care about horror films.

Similarly Dredd, being a scifi action film means fans of those movies will know where to look for reviews. Id guess 'Impact' magazine? Im not a fan of that type of film, so you can basically
ignore anything i have to say!

SBT

mogzilla

Just got back ! WOW!!!  bloody good and my wife deserves a ktt for sitting through it...but then take it off her as she prefered the other one.(dont be too harsh she liked van helsing)
  slo mo was stunning and i dont use or condone the use of drugs but i might even have a go if that were available!  ;)

one gripe ....the staff at vue in preston who asked to see our tickets as my wife is disabled and gets in a lot of pain so since there were only 5 i the cinema we moved to the bigger seats , the girl let us off this once! cheek.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 September, 2012, 10:30:15 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 09 September, 2012, 07:52:48 AMNever having come across Judge Dredd before, she said 'I really enjoyed that.

That was some date.

Yes, and later on she played with my helmet too.

James

I went to see it on friday at the 11:15pm showing. There were 2 people in when I arrived and another20-30 in by the time it started.

I thought the film started nice and quickly, the vehicle looked fine to me. I would have liked Dredd to have said 'Negative' instead of 'No' when control asked if he wanted back up.

I thought the 3D slow motion was well utilised, the bathwater was amazing. I do feel that the slo-mo scenes could have been spread out a bit more though. After the slo-mo shoot up/arrest scene there seemed a period of action set piece, action set piece, action set piece.

Perhaps we could have had a scene in the drug factory where Dredd got hit with a dose somehow, and we got to see his perspective shooting up/scrapping with a bunch of the perps-emphasizing his excellent marksmanship and combat skills. It could even seem to enhance them.

The corrupt Judges I thought were great, and Dredd commenting on their '4 way split' as he offed them was a nice touch. As I've said previously I really liked Dredd's chop to the throat to take down Chan in their fight-brutal and quickly effective.

I did question Dredd's motivation for giving Ma-Ma thee slo-mo hit before tossing her out the window, it seemed too vindictive for him-I guess it is purely there for the visuals, and I thought making time seem to pass slowly might give Ma-Ma a chance to rip the trigger off her wrist as she fell.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it, can't wait to see it again, going to drag the missus along and get her opinion as a non comic reader normal member of society. On that- she did say a Facebook friend of hers, who's very 'normal' I think saw it and pronounced it awesome. My biggest worry is that Joe Public won't get it and after someone pointed out that Keith Lemmon was full I despair for the human race a bit more than I did earlier.

(As an aside, I was the only person in a premium seat, of which there were 2 rows of 15 or 16, some guy came in and pointed out that I was in his seat-7, not 8 as my ticket stated. He actually got me to move over rather than sit in the row in front or a couple along so I had him too close all film. I gave him a popcorn fart for his trouble).

darnmarr

Quote from: mogzilla on 09 September, 2012, 05:10:17 PM
.... she prefered the other one...
:oIt's when I read something like that I thank the sweet baba jay that I'm single...

Still: glad you liked it and if you ever want to file for divorce,- we're all witnesses :lol:

Martin Jameson

I felt it was my duty to take my wife to see it, she isn't a Dredd fan by any means, and she absolutely loved it. In fact I think she might be dragging me along for another viewing soon!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Danbo

Silly question because I would have read about it on here already but did anyone stay until after the credits in case there was an extra scene Marvel style?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

chuffsteruk

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 09 September, 2012, 06:04:52 PM
Silly question because I would have read about it on here already but did anyone stay until after the credits in case there was an extra scene Marvel style?

I did.There was a scene where a spotty herbet came on and asked me to leave.The mutie make up job on it was hideous, so props to the FX crew for that one...oh and the 3D effect was astonishing.You could almost SMELL the B.O...

moly

finally got to see it today delayed to work and child commitements -- totaly loved it fanstastic film, went to the first showing in braintree 11.40 sunday and there was at least 30 people there

adi

I've noticed a lot of people asking for 2D showings and i have to admit if i had the option i'd have taken the 2d option but after seing it in 3D I think it's one of the best movies of the year.  He kicks TDKRs and Avengers ass

Well done to everyone involved in the movie, I thought it was totallly epic.

http://www.superrobotmayhem.com/comic-book-movies/judge-dredd-movie/dredd-3d-review/

Any news on when the sequel will be going into production