Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelvk

Quote from: adi on 09 September, 2012, 11:16:56 PM
Any news on when the sequel will be going into production

As soon as it makes megabucks, I think.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

Too premature to know if it would be greenlit.

First hurdle is to make $50m in the US.

radiator

Just got home from my second viewing, went with 5 other guys and the general consensus was very positive. As far as I could tell 1 loved it, 2 really liked it and the other 2 liked it.

Much discussion in the pub afterwards - and among the things said were 'way better than Prometheus' and 'I'd watch it again tomorrow'. Everyone really dug the 1980s action film vibe and everyone laughed along with it in the right places. Feel totally vindicated in my championing of the film all along.

Personally I liked it even more this time and noticed a lot more background stuff which I'll go into later.

radiator

About twenty people in the screening, but cinema was dead overall (very hot day) and it was an early evening screening.

vzzbux

Finally have Dredd in my head. Fuck yeh. What an adaption, me likeee lots, as did the missus and all who went along.
Going again in the week when my brother takes his wife.

And relax.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

radiator

Oh, and everyone agreed that they really want to see a sequel.

Richard

I don't have the patience to read 33 pages of this, so all of this has probably been said before, but regardless:

I just saw it tonight, and thought it was brilliant. Just what a Dredd film should be.

Karl Urban and Olivia Thirlby both were pretty much what their respective characters should be like. Glad Urban kept the helmet on throughout.

Slow-motion effects were excellent, and not used too often, just the right amount. And sufficiently different to The Matrix to stand up in its own right -- after all, The Matrix did not show us slow-motion exit wounds! (And in fact The Matrix did its own slow-motion pretty quickly, with crazily-moving camera angles, which is a completely different aesthetic to what Dredd did with the bathwater and the broken glass.)

Lots of nods to the comic, but not so obvious that newbies would notice them and feel left out.

I think Alex Garland has done us proud.

Only one minor issue -- and it really is just a small one -- but the comic Dredd would never [spoiler]beat up a suspect to get information or a confession.[/spoiler]

I'm really pleased to see that Dredd has 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, which bodes well.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 09 September, 2012, 11:25:04 PM
About twenty people in the screening, but cinema was dead overall (very hot day) and it was an early evening screening.

I wouldn't worry too much about relatively small numbers of people at any specific showing. In case you missed it on the Box Office thread:

QuoteScreendaily reporter Ian Sandwell (@ian_sandwell) tweets:

Hearing that #Dredd has taken top spot at the UK box office; Anna Karenina's £980k debut in 2nd. Soft market overall, -25% on last weekend.

The 'soft market' comment suggests that the unseasonably nice weather has kept people out of the theatres in general, but with the weather taking a turn for the autumnal and the ability (if confirmed) to slap "UK Box Office No1" on any promotional material for Dredd going forwards makes me confident that the film is going to have some legs.

Cheers

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Just hope The Sweeney (out Wednesday iirc) doesn't steal the no 1 spot...

One of my girlfriend's colleagues was praising Dredd to high heaven on Facebook yesterday - having gone in expecting nothing at all. Hope that's just indicative of the word of mouth on it...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: radiator on 10 September, 2012, 08:50:28 AM
Just hope The Sweeney (out Wednesday iirc) doesn't steal the no 1 spot...

I'm assuming Sandwell was referring to the week 3/9 to 9/9, which appears to be the period the BFI uses for reporting, in which case The Sweeney isn't in contention.

Edit to add:
QuoteHope that's just indicative of the word of mouth on it...

Stick #dredd or #dredd3d into Twitter. The word of mouth on the movie is remarkable.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

I clocked the little wire animal sculpture this time round.

The Clan Techie is seen making them early on in the film. Then, at the end, when Anderson is shot, there is one near her as she struggles to rise.

Was so great seeing the film with mates. I think at the fan screening everyone was so overawed, there wasn't quite the audience response I was expecting, but seeing it last night, pretty much every single thing Dredd said was met with chuckles, the grumpier his response, the more laughs he got.

I think the first big laugh was the 'hotshot', and then the scene of the cleaning up of the bodies with the tannoy announcement in the shopping centre. After that I think everyone was completely on side with the film.

There was tangible squirming and discomfort as Mama approached the ground, as people realised what was about to happen.

radiator

Oh yeah, lots of comparisons to John Carpenter being made by my friends, and much praise for the soundtrack too.

Spaceghost

Went to see it for a second time yesterday afternoon with my friend and our wives.

My friend was a lapsed 2000 AD reader until I got him back into the fold recently. He's now a subscriber and a fully fledged Squaxx once again. He hasn't been following the production of the film and doesn't visit this site, so all he had to go on were the little tidbits I've been feeding him.

He absolutely loved it. His main point being that there was "absolutely no compromise. It's Dredd on the screen.".

My wife loved it too and thought it was 'artistically valid' (she likes her arty films) and my friend's wife enjoyed it too, even though she was covering her eyes during some of the gorier scenes.

I enjoyed it just as much, if not more than the first time. Having seen it once, I was able to relax and concentrate a bit more, absorbing the grungy atmosphere and enjoying the details. I'd love to go see it again but I can't really justify the expense, so I reckon the next time I watch it will be on DVD.

Really love this film. I hope it does well because it really deserves to be seen by a lot of people and, of course, I want to see a sequel. Well done to everyone involved.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Richard on 10 September, 2012, 12:30:04 AM
Only one minor issue -- and it really is just a small one -- but the comic Dredd would never beat up a suspect to get information or a confession.

That niggled me, too, and I'm surprised it hasn't been commented on except to say how cool THAT headbutt was; especially since a few people here seem bothered by Dredd throwing Ma-Ma to her death despite having a legitimate reason for doing so.

One other (minor) quibble: The exploding Lawgiver. Yes, I know it's COOL AS FUCK. And, yes, it's faithful to the strip. BUT! It also leaves a Judge unarmed bar (I presume) a boot knife and whatever's in their belt. It's the Justice Department equivalent of all those times someone throws away their gun because they've run out of ammo. A cliche that happens so often, in fact, I was half expecting Dredd's Lawgiver to be similarly dispensed with.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Steve Green

I liked that scene, it showed that it didn't get him anywhere, and quite funny seeing him standing in front of the flag where the brute force approach hadn't worked, leaving Anderson to do her thing.

Despite earlier precedent of 'torture is illegal' in an early story, Dredd has gone there in the comic - see his interrogation of Ruskin in After the Bombs, depends what Mega City Law says on the issue - it's only out of character if it's not 'legal'.