Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Beeks on 10 September, 2012, 05:02:56 PM
I don't like the thought of a TV series...I think it cheapens the product

If they were going to throw Game of Thrones type money at it, I'd disagree quite strongly.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Beeks

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2012, 05:16:42 PM

If it were like BSG or the Wire?

It wouldn't be like that though would it? Or Game Of Thrones as Jim said.

It's essentially sci-fi...If it had a big budget fair enough...but I genuinely don't think it would have enough mass appeal to warrant the aforementioned. I think none of us want a watered down Sarah Connor terminator/Blade type affair...Well I don't anyway
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beeks on 10 September, 2012, 05:36:26 PM

If it proved popular enough, why not?

Diminished Responsibility

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 September, 2012, 05:25:22 PM

If they were going to throw Game of Thrones type money at it, I'd disagree quite strongly.

Cheers

Jim

If the same crew can be kept for a TV series, and they don't flog it on as a going concern.

I do like Game of Thrones, but what was done to The Walking Dead, with its repetitive moralizing was awful.   There is a lot of lazy TV making where they just have an actor tell us a story to make some point, instead of using the plot of the program to do the same, that takes skill. And its nice to see that Dredd let its audience work out any moral point for itself.
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

The Sherman Kid

BSG was escellent (until it kind of lost its way with the religious maze it created), so it could be done well.

Beeks

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2012, 05:38:47 PM

Name a sci-fi based series that the American networks have chucked money at? I mean serious money like The Wire...Sopranos et al

Not going to happen...would love to be wrong...but it would be more like a cheap Dredd derivative
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

blackmocco

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 10 September, 2012, 05:41:25 PM
BSG was escellent (until it kind of lost its way with the religious maze it created), so it could be done well.

Was just going to say. Galactica, The Shield, Sopranos, Breaking Bad. All shows that have raised the game and, in most cases, are far superior to anything in the theaters. I always quite liked the idea of a Law & Order format for Dredd where the focus isn't so much on the main characters but more on the cases they have to solve. Could easily see it being done using the Dredd movie as a pilot of some sort.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Beeks on 10 September, 2012, 05:44:11 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2012, 05:38:47 PM

Name a sci-fi based series that the American networks have chucked money at? I mean serious money like The Wire...Sopranos et al

Not going to happen...would love to be wrong...but it would be more like a cheap Dredd derivative

BSG and Firefly were quite high budget. Hence Sci-Fi and FOX cancelling them. Haha! But a cable show would be a different proposition altogether with only 13 episode seasons. It could be done very easily without breaking the bank.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

CYCLOPZ

Lets not give up on the Sequels quite yet though.

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Beeks

mogzilla

i was blown away by the 3d and though i'll be getting the 2d dvd i'm glad i saw it in 3d not that we had a choice at vue, even the smoke was stunning i nearly reached up like my daughter does to touch it...

i loved the setting and the grimy gritty real feel and seeing how they treated a phsycic and mutation in a matter of fact way without having to explain too much makes me more confident that judge death could work on screen.

wasnt too keen on the CJ i thought she was one of the control judges ! and at the end really hoped he'd say "she'll do" as anderson walked away thinking she'd failed.

DeFuzzed

Stephen King's Dark Tower was going to be done as films and TV series, and I was curious to see that.

But in Dredd's case, I love seeing it on the big screen. Regardless of whether they throw money at it or not, small screen is small screen, and I do think it will lose some of that in-your-face power and mystery that this film has just delivered.

But I could be wrong - after all, Alex Garland is a fan of a TV series, and some of you are in the TV/movie industry too.

So, in conclusion, I just like seeing a bigass Dredd in the cinema. I will miss out on that in TV.

chuffsteruk

I think, if they get the greenlight for a sequel, they should shoot for an `R` rating,but still be able achieve a `15`here without a major compromise on violence.Also, much as I love it, maybe drop the 3D?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beeks on 10 September, 2012, 05:44:11 PM

Name a sci-fi based series that the American networks have chucked money at?

Are you suggesting BSG was a dismal failure?