Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuffsteruk

Diminished Responsibility

I liked the remake of BSG, but even that went of on it's moralizing bullshit tangents, "my relationship is falling apart", "I'm an alcoholic", "nobody trusts me as a pilot waaaahh!". It's space soap and not befitting of the Judge Dredd universe.

The only way I could be happy with Dredd as a TV series is if the talented people who brought us Dredd were on-board, and now that I have them in a Dredd movie, you would have to pry Karl and Olivia from my cold dead hands. replace them at your peril!

However, I'm really fond of humble pie and will eat it by the bucket-load if whatever happens next is just as awesome as what just happened.
"DANGER! DO NOT TOUCH THESE MONSTROUSLY HAZARDOUS CITRUS FRUITS, MAN!"

Beeks

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2012, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: Beeks on 10 September, 2012, 05:44:11 PM

Name a sci-fi based series that the American networks have chucked money at?

Are you suggesting BSG was a dismal failure?

Well it did get cancelled..I would have thought primarily due to budget..so it couldn't have been that popular..but I'm merely speculating as I'm not a fan..other than the film as a kid
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

adi

Thinking back over the film since I cant afford to see it in 3D again this week I can't help but wonder what a Judge Anderson movie would be like. Maybe a prequel / TV series about how she grew up with her powers.

Also if Batman beat Superman in a fight and Dredd could beat Batman. Does that mean Dredd is the supremely powerful super hero of comics?  I'd like to think so.

Martin Howe

Actually rather than TV or films, I was rather thinking both. Babylon 5 is a good example; however, in an ideal world I would have the films as the master series, with events in the TV show tracking them if a conflict would arise. There have been good high-quality TV shows in recent years so it's not impossible; however, it would need the film(s) to do well at the box office.

IMO the TV show should be deliberately written as "The World of Dredd" or "Megacity One", since KU and OT would not likely be available for such lengths of time. They could guest star now and then, perhaps with a minimum quota of appearances; however, the show would be about the Judge system and the City in general.

After all, every Judge is the Law and some are better than others. There'd be plenty of room to explore things without needing Dredd in every single episode or even both KU and OT together. SJS, off-world operations, some cursed earth (but not too much, that'd be a Dredd episode arc or movie).

I am going to be unpopular but I hate the DJ story-lines with a passion and would not waste my money on watching a film that is mostly about them. We've seen too many near-unkillable magic/tech enemies laying waste to a city/spaceship/whatever in other TV shows and films and it has gotten boring. If MC1 is to suffer a big disaster, I feel that it'd be more interesting if the enemies were human or at least well-written aliens.

It's also worth considering that done properly, they would emerge as the stars of the show, rather than Dredd; in fact, I would prefer a spinoff movie featuring the origins of Judge Death, with a concise TV show arc for the early DJ stories. I guess if they were a secondary storyline running alongside the main arc of one of the movies, it might work.

My 2c for now.

PS: My eyes don't do 3D well so I had to find a cinema showing Dredd 2D; some people have had difficulty finding one where they live and I wish it had been more generally available.
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

adi

I agree with them needing more 2D showings as all the other 3D movies i've seen were pretty crap. Saying that after seeing Dredd in 3D it's well worth it. they made great use of the technology.

It will be interesting to see if the lack of 2D showings will put people off and lower overall ticket sales.

DeFuzzed

Saw a tweet today that said Dredd was sold out so he couldn't get in to see it. Might not ever happen again but at least it happened once, right? :)

Fisticuffs

Down to 95% on RT now thanks to DigitalSpy and the Daily Fail. Ah well, was nice when it lasted.

Keef Monkey

Just in from going with my mate, he's read the occasional bit of Dredd and quite a bit of Anderson so I was curious what he would make of it. He loved it (phew) and wants to go again at least once. He actually said the movie had concreted the world in his mind more effectively than the comics had.

As for me, still loving it on a 3rd viewing. I now think my favorite part of the whole thing is Dredd's "Yeah..." line after Ma Ma dies. Must have been a huge temptation to bung a cheesy one liner in there, but that line and the way Urban delivers it is just pure Dredd.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Beeks on 10 September, 2012, 06:15:50 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 10 September, 2012, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: Beeks on 10 September, 2012, 05:44:11 PM

Name a sci-fi based series that the American networks have chucked money at?

Are you suggesting BSG was a dismal failure?

Well it did get cancelled..I would have thought primarily due to budget..so it couldn't have been that popular..but I'm merely speculating as I'm not a fan..other than the film as a kid

BSG was cancelled because it was popular - SyFy didn't want to continue to pay for it, much as they didn't want to pay for the miniseries (which only got made because the sets were recycled from John Woo's Lost In Space pilot) or the first proper season (Sky 1 ponied up the cash after the miniseries got serious love from UK viewers, which is why the first season premiered in the UK and became such a heavily-downloaded and anticipated series in the US).  Notice the follow-up series that replaced it was set in much cheaper sets...

DrRocka

Well, after avoiding the boards for the last two weeks, I can finally sneak a peek in, as me and Dad go to go see it tonight.

Isn't it GREAT???!!!

We BOTH loved it, all the way back we were both rapping constantly about which were the best bits, which little easter eggs were in all the graffitti, how the hell Dredd kept running around corners from those big guns' artillery fire..

Most of all, we both felt it was brilliantly character driven, and that Dredd himself was PERFECT.

Not once did either of us mention Stallone.

I think we both weren't keen on the VW van at the start, but it was a minor quibble - the main topic of conversation afterwards was how soon it would be before we can go see it again (even a TEN QUID a pop!), and of course, when the hell's the sequel coming?

Can't write anymore, my brain's mashed. That. Was.GREAT.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Buttonman

It was great wasn't it? I'm still resonating bits days later. Going to Madrid tomorrow, but the Spanish release was September 7th - looks like the wife is going to pay heavy for her Prado visit!

Goaty

The film got effects in people that want to see it again, beautiful is it?

hazy efc

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 10 September, 2012, 05:11:27 PM
Dredd needs all the budget it can get.Other 2000ad stories could work though,Slaine and Robo Hunter spring to mind,Halo Jones too.
Rogue trooper to i think jason statham as rogue for me

radiator

Fuck Jason Statham.

Don't let him anywhere near a 2000ad film.