Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Goaty

Quote from: hazy efc on 11 September, 2012, 09:10:12 AM
Rogue trooper to i think jason statham as rogue for me

Because he is bald?

Keef Monkey

I might have said this before, but Tom Jane for Rogue. Not sure if it's just because I saw him with a mohawk once and thought "if he was blue..." but I find him a pretty engaging actor, and he can do muscleman pretty well. He'd make a good judge too actually.

DeFuzzed

I like Jason Statham, but he is too - for want of a better word - real. I think he'd take me straight out of any scifi and right back into inner London. Even when he was in France in the Transporter, I was in inner London.

DeFuzzed

Second Thomas Jane. The Mist was fantastic - and the ending of the movie is just harrowing. I was well and truly harrowed. He's got some acting chops alright.

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: radiator on 11 September, 2012, 09:17:15 AM
Fuck Jason Statham.

Don't let him anywhere near a 2000ad film.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Statham is a terrible  choice for just about any
2000ad character. That goes quadruple for Sam Worthington, who I worryingly
hear may even hold the rights to Rogue Trooper .

I like Thomas Jane, but he is surprisingly small in real life and he is getting on a bit to play Rogue, just take a look at his recent Punisher short. I have suggested Djimon Hounsou in the past for Rogue, but time may be catching up with him too.

Michaelvk

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 11 September, 2012, 10:12:46 AM
Quote from: radiator on 11 September, 2012, 09:17:15 AM
Fuck Jason Statham.

Don't let him anywhere near a 2000ad film.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Statham is a terrible  choice for just about any
2000ad character. That goes quadruple for Sam Worthington, who I worryingly
hear may even hold the rights to Rogue Trooper .

He's already done a blue guy.. He's not allowed to do more..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JohnMcF

Had planned a midweek viewing for this, but in the end I couldn't wait. So booked the Friday afternoon 2pm show, Glasgow Cineworld. Screen 3 showing. Big screen. Didn't appear to be many in but it was hard to judge as I sat very near the front to get the full effect. Only one other in my row I think.

Loved it! Want to go again. At no point did I think of going for a cigarette.

I usually wait for DVDs to drop in price but I think I'll be buying this as soon as it is released. Then I can give the whole film a hit of Slo-Mo and take in all the background detail that was rushing by.

shaolin_monkey

Who else thought Lex had a more Dredd-like chin than Dredd?   ;)

Saw it again last night.  I'm still trying to spot the graffiti everyone mentions, but can't see it.  Hopefully I'll be going on Weds if it's a late enough showing. I can't get enough of this film.

I'm going to get a Cineworld Unlimited card so I can see it a few times before the month is out, as per Judgefett.  I wish I'd taken up his suggestion earlier, as it would have paid for itself by now, twice over!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 11 September, 2012, 11:10:11 AM
I'm going to get a Cineworld Unlimited card so I can see it a few times before the month is out, as per Judgefett.  I wish I'd taken up his suggestion earlier, as it would have paid for itself by now, twice over!

Note that there's a £1.50 surcharge for 3D, even on an Unlimited Card. It's certainly not very apparent from the T&Cs but I made a right old fuss about it and they wouldn't back down...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

I'm probably going again tonight.

With all the hype etc my girlfriend is genuinely quite excited about seeing it now (after having done a pretty good job of feigning interest for my benefit for the last few months  ;)). I think the good word of mouth that she's heard (from people other than me), as well as learning that Cersei Lannister is the baddie (big Game of Thrones fan) has finally got her attention. I think she'll enjoy it a lot - she generally has very good taste in films and things, though I sometimes have to hassle her to get her to give stuff a try.

I almost want to take a notepad and pen later, as the last time I watched it there was loads of stuff that I wanted to discuss with you lot after, but then forgot about.

Can't remember the last time I went to see the same film three times - think it was probably The Phantom Menace, and the last time I went even twice was probably Return of the King almost ten years ago!

Something else I wanted to make note of - love the opening credits. Big, bold red letters. Silence. Then the opening shot of the Cursed Earth. Ace.

Goaty

I do really want to see it again!

Keef Monkey

Those big red letters are so ominous, there's something a bit retro about it, stirs up all sorts of feelings you just don't get from films so much anymore.

Similarly, the friend who I took last night didn't go in as a Dredd fan, but loved it because he said it made him feel the way Robocop and Die Hard did as a kid. They just don't make movies like that anymore.

I know it's a violent movie and I certainly wouldn't show it to my kids (if I had any), but I can't help but think it's cool that a young generation might find this movie the same way me and my mates found those movies as kids (things like Running Man, Robocop, Evil Dead etc.). I wouldn't condone it, but it would be very cool to think that maybe there'll be a generation who in 20 years are still talking about DREDD the way we still talk about those films. Could happen.

mygrimmbrother

I haven't read the preceding 30-odd pages of this thread and I apologise if I'm repeating something but I just wanted to say I loved the bit where the corrupt female judge tried to get the drop on Anderson, and Anderson just droppped her without a word (obviously after a quick psi-flash to divine her true intentions). That was just one of countless moments where I thought events could have gone right or wrong, and every time they did it Right with a capital R. No fussing, just tightly plotted, focused film-making if the finest quality!

Anderson was indeed the heart of the film, but when push came to shove she could also be a bad motherdrokker too. Stunning.

Goaty

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 11 September, 2012, 11:41:10 AM
Anderson was indeed the heart of the film, but when push came to shove she could also be a bad motherdrokker too. Stunning.

And there were some people said that she the weak link in film based on the trailers??? Oh boy, they will be surprised!