Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Went to see it again today, this time on a bigger screen with better sound.  Bit of an easter-egg hunt really*.  Nice to see they sort of re-used this classic line:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUf4PQ-vuU

Just wondering though, why did Dredd give Ma Ma a hit of slo-mo as he was killing her?  Was it sheer sadistic bastardry or was it something to do with the heart-beat trigger?

*Fuck me.  Just realised why they call them Easter eggs. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Goaty

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2012, 08:54:58 PM
Just wondering though, why did Dredd give Ma Ma a hit of slo-mo as he was killing her?  Was it sheer sadistic bastardry or was it something to do with the heart-beat trigger?

Yep I bold it for you.

That IS Dredd, don't you know?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Goaty on 13 September, 2012, 08:57:11 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2012, 08:54:58 PM

Yep I bold it for you.

That IS Dredd, don't you know?

Fair enough  :D
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

PreacherCain

I don't think it was, Goaty. Personally I've never seen Dredd as a sadist or someone who would torture a criminal just to cause them pain or make them pay. I prefer to think that it was to slow down her heart beat so as to give time for the trigger to get out of distance.

Also, technically speaking, he would have committed a crime if he did it just to punish her. Use of slo-mo is illegal and therefore he'd be accessory to a crime. Considering the extreme circumstances, it was his only course of action to ensure safety against the bomb going off  :D

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI prefer to think that it was to slow down her heart beat so as to give time for the trigger to get out of distance.

That's kind of what I was hoping; so the shock wouldn't give her a heart attack or summit like that.  Dredd as I see him only commits violence for practical reasons.

Also noticed this time that the 2000AD Forum was thanked in the credits.  You're welcome, Alex, it's our pleasure!

NSFTM

Dredd does have a reputation for the punishment fitting the crime

he also stuck sabbats head on lodestone for an eternity of torment
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

willthemightyW

JUST SAW IT. AH. AMAZING.

Best line: (after massacre in the food court) Cleaning robot: "The food court will re-open in 30 minutes"
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

JayzusB.Christ

Quotehe also stuck sabbats head on lodestone for an eternity of torment

Garth Ennis Dredd doesn't count!

CraveNoir

I had a problem with Dredd administering an illegal drug, but then you see that Ma-Ma chooses to inhale.

Danbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 13 September, 2012, 09:15:47 PM
Quotehe also stuck sabbats head on lodestone for an eternity of torment

Garth Ennis Dredd doesn't count!
This must have been during my wilderness period during my roaring 20's and hungover early 30's but I've seen similar posts before and also concerning a Mr Millar*.I've more or less caught to where I left off so all new case files etc are fresh.Question is,is there something I need to know,you're making me nervous?  :)

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Richmond Clements

Just back from seeing it again.
Bloody better the second time.
Couple of bits I didn't notice the first time:
Anderson shooting the face off the perp at point-blank range with the SMG.
And the great beat when Anderson says "Let's finish this," and Dredd hangs back for a couple of seconds, you can almost see him thinking 'Yup, she's a pass.'

Not many in the cinema, but everyone there was responding brilliantly to it.

JayzusB.Christ

Quoteis there something I need to know,you're making me nervous?

Nah, just Dredd got a bit shit for a while in the 90s when other writers took over.  Two of the highest profile comic writers in the world today, who would have thought it?

Actually getting back to the film; about Dredd staring at Anderson in the lift after she realises she's shot Kathy's husband - I think he must have realised something was up. 

Danbo

Fair enough,ups and downs.All comics have em.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

nicklambo

Just seen it again in 2D...

I am absolutely gobsmaked how good this movie is...Let me tell you I am a harsh critic and I LOVED it......

The interaction between Anderson and Dredd is spot on with Anderson coming to the front of the assault on Ma-Ma by the end....
The way they move through the blocks..
The Judges outfits....
I could go on and on but it really has surpassed my highest expectations...
What's weird is that it has an almost slow burn addiction to it...I could not wait to see it again....Just WOW... :o

Michaelvk

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 September, 2012, 09:57:26 PM
Anderson shooting the face off the perp at point-blank range with the SMG.

Actually I think you'll find the face was all that was left..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..