Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Michaelvk on 13 September, 2012, 10:19:13 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 13 September, 2012, 09:57:26 PM
Anderson shooting the face off the perp at point-blank range with the SMG.

Actually I think you'll find the face was all that was left..

Point.

nicklambo

Oh...And I noticed that there is a Judge helmet on the back wall of Ma-Ma's apartment with a chain hanging down of it (reminded me of the alien skull from Predator 2 for some reason)....

willthemightyW

'Tis a shame my screen was pretty much empty :(
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

karl

Quote from: nicklambo on 14 September, 2012, 06:53:14 AM
Oh...And I noticed that there is a Judge helmet on the back wall of Ma-Ma's apartment with a chain hanging down of it (reminded me of the alien skull from Predator 2 for some reason)....

I thought that was the judges spine.

SmallBlueThing

My question is: did willthemightyw wear false mustache to gain entry, or did they just not bother to ask?

SBT

CrazyFoxMachine

Screening was very empty last night - about five people in central Bristol Odeon :(

The box office was still grand wurntit and the Odeon staff were incredibly enthusiastic - we got there too early and they were like "STICK AROUND IT'S A GENUINELY AMAZING FILM".

I was wearing my McMahon Dredd shirt though, so I don't think they could've possibly been worried that I wouldn't come back.

IT WAS A GENUINELY AMAZING film. All round, I felt utterly rewarded - my friend who saw it with me, a lapsed 2000ad reader, was in shock for the whole thing. Well, so was I really. Uncanny. Amazing. I SAW KENNY WHO graffiti and the Krysler reference and I nearly shat. The 3D was mesmerising and fully worth it, especially the end bit. With the falling.

No real bad parts really, it was a straight-up honest-as-balls ... well, actually you don't need me to tell you that. In fact, this is the wrong place for my enthusiasm entirely, I doubt anyone will be convinced to go by my brief review here! I will shout its praises into every face I see from now on though.

When John & Carlos's names came BURSTING out of the screen at the end I literally exclaimed. I feel completely elated

and I CANNOT WAIT

FOR THE DVD
. And the inevitable Burdis commentary track.

SuperSurfer

Yeah, 3D was great wasn't it, CFM. Quite surprised others haven't been raving about it. In the past I thought it was a gimmick but not on DREDD.

Hoping to see it again this eve and I can't wait. 

CYCLOPZ

Glad to see that You liked it SuperSurfer. Its viewing 3 for me tomorrow, this time on Xtreme screen!

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 14 September, 2012, 08:57:40 AMFOR THE DVD. And the inevitable Burdis commentary track.

I am so gonna do one of those :D

willthemightyW

Fake moustache? Yes. Handlebar.
3D? First film where I felt not only did it not get in the way of the film, but it was also amazing in itself!
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

radiator

Quote from: CYCLOPZ on 14 September, 2012, 08:59:29 PM
Glad to see that You liked it SuperSurfer. Its viewing 3 for me tomorrow, this time on Xtreme screen!

Let me know what you think. Personally I found it to be a world o difference. Perhaps it says something about my poor eyesight, but I noticed loads I little details thanks to the bigger screen, such as the shimmery heat haze in the opening shot of the city.

darnmarr

Quote from: willthemightyW on 14 September, 2012, 09:47:01 PM
3D? First film where I felt not only did it not get in the way of the film, but it was also amazing in itself!
Honestly: I've seen it 3 times in 3 different settings and I imagine that much of the 3d related-irritation, that people report, has a lot to do with the type of 3d and the cinema they're in: it was best quality in Soho with the heavier-battery-operated glasses, it was still pretty good in another cinema in Real 3d, and a murky headache-causing mess(that really did 'get in the way') in the same cinema at a different screen... I strongly suspect people aren't calibrating their equipment properly and that because most people (more sane people) dont bother watching a 3d film 3 times in 3 different places close together,- they dont realise what's really going on and so the blame keeps landing, not where it should, on the cinema, but on 3d itself.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: darnmarr on 14 September, 2012, 10:18:26 PM
Quote from: willthemightyW on 14 September, 2012, 09:47:01 PM
Honestly: I've seen it 3 times in 3 different settings and I imagine that much of the 3d related-irritation, that people report, has a lot to do with the type of 3d and the cinema they're in: it was best quality in Soho with the heavier-battery-operated glasses, it was still pretty good in another cinema in Real 3d, and a murky headache-causing mess(that really did 'get in the way') in the same cinema at a different screen... I strongly suspect people aren't calibrating their equipment properly and that because most people (more sane people) dont bother watching a 3d film 3 times in 3 different places close together,- they dont realise what's really going on and so the blame keeps landing, not where it should, on the cinema, but on 3d itself.

Being a very frequent cinema goer to films both 2D and 3D I've said the same myself in this forum in the not too distant past and been mercilessly flamed for doing so... so good luck!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 14 September, 2012, 10:28:01 PM
Being a very frequent cinema goer to films both 2D and 3D I've said the same myself in this forum in the not too distant past and been mercilessly flamed for doing so... so good luck!

Really? This place has never seemed very flamey, and I'm rather shocked that you had that reaction. But I've been avoiding the movie threads for months pre-release, so I probably missd the whole thang (DAMMIT - IF I'D KNOWN, I COULD'VE BEEN GRAFFITI!)

From the wildly varying opinions and "facts" that I see  every day on the internet,  it seems pretty obvious that the 3D experience varies a great deal from place to pLace or film to film.But everybody's got an OPINION on 3d, that must be hammered onto whatever movie they are reviewing I guess.

COMMANDO FORCES

Empire Screen 1 was stunning. The opening shot reminded my of that 'Soaring' ride in Disney, you were right in the screen. Also one of the blood shots actually had droplets just to the right of me, as they burst out of the screen. That was pretty effective!