Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 15 September, 2012, 03:23:31 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 15 September, 2012, 02:27:41 PM
Just back from round 4, the missus loved it and was cackling away at the 2nd hi-ex moment (she's definitely a keeper) and my non-comic-book-friendly work colleague declared it "fucking awesome" and says he'll go and see it again. He said the moment when Dredd turfs Kay and walks back into the smoke was the most badass thing he's ever witnessed.

Very reassuringly too, Cineworld have moved it to a smaller screen (understandable as this week's big movie will be using that one now) but kept the same amount of screenings, and this was the busiest showing I've been to.

In fact, 90% of the time when I go to the movies I pick the morning showing, and this was possibly the busiest I've seen the cinema at 11am. Last movie I did it with was The Bourne Legacy the Saturday morning of its opening weekend and there were about 5 people in, this morning there were about 50, all getting right into it.

There was also a pretty clear example of the word of mouth in action: On the way out I bumped into a guy who was heading in to see it because the guy I dragged along on Monday works with him and had been banging on about it all week. It's the circle of buzz!!!

You're doing sterling work Keef (seen it 5 times so far myself). It was Caleb not Kay he turfs out, and it was one of the best moments in the film for me too.

Ah, so it is! Kay's name seems to have taken root more due to his name popping up on the soundtrack! 

Urban's delivery of the line "Drug bust" got a big laugh today, seems funnier every time I see it.

Pete Wells

To celebrate passing his driving test, my son drove two of his mates to the cinema this afternoon to see Dredd. All three have come back absolutely buzzing, saying its the best movie ever! I am a proud Daddy today!

A.Cow

Quote from: Pete Wells on 15 September, 2012, 05:33:15 PM
To celebrate passing his driving test, my son drove two of his mates to the cinema this afternoon to see Dredd. All three have come back absolutely buzzing, saying its the best movie ever! I am a proud Daddy today!

Now THAT'S what parenting is all about.

James

Quote from: Pete Wells on 15 September, 2012, 05:33:15 PM

To be fair if he'd have said anything less than that you probably would have turfed him out.

Something Fishy

This was brilliant.  Really wish my son could have seen it.

It wasn't too bad really, not too much gore. I reckon i'll allow him to see that at 15 next year (i was seeing worse).  I dont want to stop him seeing a bona fide classic.

This deserves to do very well.  Hope it totally changes how the Americans view Dredd and gets them to notice him.

darnmarr

JOE SOAP

I'd say a 14 year-old boy could easily tolerate Dredd (he'll see it behind your back anyway).

Something Fishy

yeah i bet he will, next tim ehe's home on hols and i am at work for the morning probably  :lol:

I don't mind really.

It'll be educational, this is what happens if you mess with drugs.

chuffsteruk

Quote from: Something Fishy on 15 September, 2012, 09:35:01 PM
This was brilliant.  Really wish my son could have seen it.

It wasn't too bad really, not too much gore. I reckon i'll allow him to see that at 15 next year (i was seeing worse).  I dont want to stop him seeing a bona fide classic.

This deserves to do very well.  Hope it totally changes how the Americans view Dredd and gets them to notice him.

Did you wife like it?

Michaelvk

Quote from: Something Fishy on 15 September, 2012, 09:56:45 PM
It'll be educational, this is what happens if you mess with drugs.

Karl Urban will come and explode your face..

Glad you were able to see it and enjoyed it Fishy!
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Something Fishy

Thank you  :)

Was great to have even the wife buzzing about it.

Something Fishy

sorry chuffy, yeah she loved it.  found the violence perfectly ok in the context of the film and chuckled at some of it.

We both thought the Urban , Thirlby and Headey nailed it.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 September, 2012, 10:17:35 PMKarl Urban will come and explode your face..

First read that as "Karl Urban will come and explode in your face". I was thinking, bloody hell, what did you guys get up to on set? :lol:

Michaelvk

Quote from: Mark Taylor on 15 September, 2012, 11:06:21 PM

First read that as "Karl Urban will come and explode in your face". I was thinking, bloody hell, what did you guys get up to on set? :lol:

Karl seemed very grumpy, so I stayed the hell away from him the scarce few times they let me do anything on set.. He tends to get into character and stay that way until they call wrap.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 September, 2012, 11:09:54 PM
Quote from: Mark Taylor on 15 September, 2012, 11:06:21 PM

Karl seemed very grumpy, so I stayed the hell away from him the scarce few times they let me do anything on set.. He tends to get into character and stay that way until they call wrap.

Thanks for clearing that up, there are certain mental images I can really do without!