Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 September, 2012, 11:09:54 PM
Quote from: Mark Taylor on 15 September, 2012, 11:06:21 PM

First read that as "Karl Urban will come and explode in your face". I was thinking, bloody hell, what did you guys get up to on set? :lol:

Karl seemed very grumpy, so I stayed the hell away from him the scarce few times they let me do anything on set.. He tends to get into character and stay that way until they call wrap.

Were you on he film crew then?

So is he meant to be ok or a bit of an "untouchable" famous sort?

So does she seem an ok person or a bit of an untouchable famous type?

Goaty

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 September, 2012, 11:09:54 PM
Karl seemed very grumpy, so I stayed the hell away from him the scarce few times they let me do anything on set.. He tends to get into character and stay that way until they call wrap.

Well that's the actor gotta to do, and that why he is great actor, stay in character, you can't switch it on and people would see different in the film! He gotta to, even with the Client Eastwood style accent, same in Star Trek!

He bloody nice bloke in real life few weeks ago! And very private family man is he?

Something Fishy

Yeah it would seem sensible.  Must he hard to just switch into and out of character at the drop of a hat.

dweezil2

I met him at LFCC and he was a real gent, as was Alex Garland.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mark Taylor

I do remember him saying something in an interview about wearing the full leather costume in rather hot climate of Cape Town in summer tending to make him a bit grumpy.

blackmocco

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here yet: In the leaked script, one of the saddos Ma-Ma has thrown off the balcony at the start has a Judge Death tattoo. Guess that didn't make the final cut then...? (Not complaining. Just curious...)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

There's really few differences between the 2010 leaked screenplay and what was seen on screen. The biggest one is the plot-addition of Ma-Ma's explosive threat at the end which I suspect formed part of the re-shoots last Christmas along with the re-written Hot-Shot opening.

In the original screenplay Dredd & Anderson just blitzed the penthouse. Anderson takes a bullet, Dredd shoots Ma-Ma then gives her the Sl-Mo hit and trans-fenestrates the wench. The added bomb-plot I like to think was an extra beat to cement Dredd's totally uncompromising, albeit slightly resigned, fatalist attitude to Ma-Ma's Judgement.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Something Fishy on 15 September, 2012, 11:15:10 PM

Were you on he film crew then?

Yeah, I did one or two things on it..

QuoteSo is he meant to be ok or a bit of an "untouchable" famous sort?

So does she seem an ok person or a bit of an untouchable famous type?

He's a pretty nice bloke.. Big All blacks fan, which is why we stamped the top yokes of the gatling guns with 'Os Du Randt', 'Bakkies Botha' and 'Schalk Burger'.. All South African rugby players, just wind him up a bit. He did smile at that one. I suppose he's as approachable as the next bloke, I reckon.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Michaelvk on 16 September, 2012, 02:03:58 AM
... Big All blacks fan, which is why we stamped the top yokes of the gatling guns with 'Os Du Randt', 'Bakkies Botha' and 'Schalk Burger'.. All South African rugby players, just wind him up a bit. He did smile at that one.

HA! Excellent!  Dredd's a rugby fan! I bloody love the Saffers, Ruan Pienaar's a bit of a local hero here in Belfast. And one of the big guns is named after BJ Botha? That's so cool.
You may quote me on that.

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 16 September, 2012, 12:32:06 AM
There's really few differences between the 2010 leaked screenplay and what was seen on screen. The biggest one is the plot-addition of Ma-Ma's explosive threat at the end which I suspect formed part of the re-shoots last Christmas along with the re-written Hot-Shot opening.

In the original screenplay Dredd & Anderson just blitzed the penthouse. Anderson takes a bullet, Dredd shoots Ma-Ma then gives her the Sl-Mo hit and trans-fenestrates the wench. The added bomb-plot I like to think was an extra beat to cement Dredd's totally uncompromising, albeit slightly resigned, fatalist attitude to Ma-Ma's Judgement.

Even though it was way too reminiscent of Robocop, I did miss the humor in the script where control asks Dredd if his pursuit is resolved with the wrecked van, gored bad guys and innocent injured bystander flapping on the sidewalk in the background.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

vzzbux

Quote from: pops1983 on 16 September, 2012, 02:15:49 AM

HA! Excellent!  Dredd's a rugby UNION fan! I bloody love the Saffers, Ruan Pienaar's a bit of a local hero here in Belfast. And one of the big guns is named after BJ Botha? That's so cool.
FTFY

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Keef Monkey

I've used the soth African angle to try and entice my old bass player to go, he rushed out to see District 9 just because it was shot in his home country.

A mate sent me his work colleague's text assessment, which was that it was way better than TDKR, the best film he's seen this year and possibly the best film he's seen since Robocop. That's a non-comic fan too. To balance it out I did talk to some guys at a party last night who felt Dredd was great for the UK film industry but was lacking as a film. Dicks.

Really glad Fishy saw it and is still on the forum :)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 September, 2012, 09:04:10 AM
That said, I'm off for a second viewing this afternoon, and I'm quite nervous that we just got lucky with the 3D on the first showing!

Saw it a second time yesterday and dragged a different handful of people with me. Didn't feel the previously mentioned pacing issues at all, and found myself wondering why I had the first time. On my initial viewing, it felt like there was quite an extended period between Anderson's capture and the drug lab shoot-out, but this time the film just zipped by. Very strange.

Sorry to report that the 3D was mis-calibrated at this showing (same cinema, different screen), with definite ghosting going on in some shots. Couldn't swear to it, but it seemed to be worse the further back an object was supposed to be. Bordered on head-ache inducing in some scenes. :-(

On the plus side, this was the 4pm showing on a Saturday afternoon and it seemed fairly well attended. I asked at the ticket desk and was told that Dredd was doing fair business considering it was both 3D and 18 rated, both of which are taken to be definite box office impediments at that cinema.

Things I loved: I love the way that Gleeson's unnamed techie's implants really looked like they hurt, and the use of 3D to give the pupils depth. I particularly love the fact that Dredd gives a five word summary of the entire movie at the end, with that perfect pause before the final "...uncooperative."

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Fisticuffs

Saw it for the fourth time last night, and noticed that two major pieces of soundtrack were missing. The first, where the Lawmaster gives out the automated 'Interfering with a crime scene...' speech, was missing COMPLETELY, and then soon after the 'Mall will reopen in 30 minutes, thank you for your patience' tannoy announcement was also completely gone. Both me and my girlfriend noticed this, it was her third time seeing it.

Anyone else noticed this?

Steve Green

That sounds like their surround system is fucked.

The lawmaster dialogue is noticeably towards the rear speakers as it's behind the viewer, the announcement probably the same.