Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteI particularly love the fact that Dredd gives a five word summary of the entire movie at the end, with that perfect pause before the final "...uncooperative."

Also in that particular scene the way that the doors are opened onto the blinking sunlight of a normal, busy morning in MC1, changing the atmosphere completely.  Very much the same feeling of staggering out of the pub into a sunny afternoon after a bout of daytime drinking.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

darnmarr

The Sherman Kid

More like gutbust, bladder was....unco-operative

Danbo

12 pints and the prune vindaloo were.......... uncooperative.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

CYCLOPZ

Saw it again yesterday it was as good as the first time I saw it. Massive screen made all the difference, and it was a less cloudy than when I saw it the second time on a bog standard screen. A lot more detailed, the grittiness of MC1 really comes through.

The sound was incredible.

COMMANDO FORCES

Just watched it with a mate and he loved the realism of it and how Dredd wasn't indistructible. He was dying for a piss with 30 mins to go but he was glued to the screen. I must admit, I was desperate for the loo as well but I didn't want to miss any of it, even though I've seen it once or twice now!

Every time you watch it you pick up extra nuances here and there, which means I need to see it again and can't wait for the disc to hit the shops :D

strontium71

Agree about the noticing something different every time - mine was just before Dredd rolled the stun grenade into the room , he swiped it on his gauntlet - maybe to arm it?
...because I hate you.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 16 September, 2012, 04:01:43 PM
Just watched it with a mate and he loved the realism of it and how Dredd wasn't indistructible.

I loved how that was conveyed a number of times through the film, whether he's catching his breath (which it shows a couple of times), a hint of fear, just a hint mind (at the prospect of going back in ,when they are on the skatepark), to feeling genuine pain. Makes a lot of 'indestructable' Marvel/DC types look plastic by comparison.

Michaelvk

Quote from: strontium71 on 16 September, 2012, 04:09:21 PM
Agree about the noticing something different every time - mine was just before Dredd rolled the stun grenade into the room , he swiped it on his gauntlet - maybe to arm it?

Yeah.. Setting the timer etc.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

HdE

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 16 September, 2012, 04:12:47 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 16 September, 2012, 04:01:43 PM
Just watched it with a mate and he loved the realism of it and how Dredd wasn't indistructible.

I loved how that was conveyed a number of times through the film, whether he's catching his breath (which it shows a couple of times), a hint of fear, just a hint mind (at the prospect of going back in ,when they are on the skatepark), to feeling genuine pain. Makes a lot of 'indestructable' Marvel/DC types look plastic by comparison.

Yeah! BRILLIANT points!

I actually spotted a few guys online complaining about this very aspect of the movie - which to my mind says they didn't 'get it'.

It sorta ties in with my long-running joke 'if Judge Dredd's so hard, why does he wear knee pads?' his character is NOT, and never has been, indestructible and infallible. While a lot of popular comics have been trying to to fake this approach for a coupe of decades now, Dredd's been this way since year one, and the movie got that right BIG TIME.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Goaty

Just watch it today at cinema, it was 20 people, but what an awesome film!

A Gatling machine guns massacre of the tower's innocent residents was really shocking scene, as it was so powerful. I was again jaw-dropping at that scene...

It was Volt AND Guthrie!

And at start of the film, as at PSU, I notice two criminals screens, the arresting Judges on it says; McGruder and Griffin!

Tiplodocus

Other points from my second viewing:

I am totally missing the bit where Ma Ma is sympathetic as a lot of you point out. Really don't see it. She just seems plain old even (if resigned to a fate she knows is coming).

And her being resigned to that fate seems odd considering Judges only deal with 6% of the crimes reported to them and there are two references to how rarely Judges cme anywhere near Peach Trees.

Has anybody done a word/line count for Dredd? It must be one of the lowest number of lines for a main character.  But absolutely spot on.

Don't like the "Freeze!" "Why?" exchange. I know we need a distraction so that Kay can get the jump on Anderson but I had a feeling I'd see the "Even with the safety off?" exchangein another film (or something silmilar.

Mrs Tips thought that Anderson had psionically forced Kay to blow his own hand off with the Lawgiver at first. I think it sort of happens just out of frame.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 September, 2012, 08:22:48 PM
Mrs Tips thought that Anderson had psionically forced Kay to blow his own hand off with the Lawgiver at first. I think it sort of happens just out of frame.

I think your Mrs Tips maybe right, as saw it today, when Anderson having PSI with Kay, Kay was shooting blank at Anderson with Lawgiver, so it's likely he got psi-effect from that later!

Tiplodocus

I explained it exploded (you see the ID FAIL flash up briefly which she missed). But it was interesting she read it that way.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Went today again.
Highlight for me was, when Ma-Ma puts the block on lock-down and everything starts closing, the woman sitting in front of me said, "Oh shit!"
The throat punch and Hi-Ex bits got the biggest reactions, as did "Drugs bust," at the end.