Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 September, 2012, 08:40:29 PM
I explained it exploded (you see the ID FAIL flash up briefly which she missed). But it was interesting she read it that way.

THAT is an interesting take hadn't even considered that, even though I've now seen it six times (todays headcount 22, but early evening show)
Quote from: Goaty on 16 September, 2012, 07:02:03 PM

Just watch it today at cinema, it was 20 people, but what an awesome film!

A Gatling machine guns massacre of the tower's innocent residents was really shocking scene, as it was so powerful. I was again jaw-dropping at that scene...

It was Volt AND Guthrie!

And at start of the film, as at PSU, I notice two criminals screens, the arresting Judges on it says; McGruder and Griffin!

Jeez Goaty you must have bionic eyes -still can't quite see Guthie, nevermind McGruder and Griffin

Goaty

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 16 September, 2012, 09:36:16 PM
Jeez Goaty you must have bionic eyes -still can't quite see Guthie, nevermind McGruder and Griffin

Well good eyes lol.

When one of our Judges walking pass two Judges to open the lockdown door, Judge badge at left said "Guthie".

PSU scene when ask Dredd need back up. The monitor with two criminals flash up, at right top of the monitor shows "Arresting Judge" that got McGruder, and other photo got Griffin.

Strontium Claw

Been too busy to post recently but I saw DREDD on the opening weekend at an early afternoon screening. There were only about 15 people in the audience but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

After the 1995 disaster it so refreshing to be able to just relax and enjoy Karl Urban's performance without cringing in my seat like I did when I saw Stallone's first appearance as Dredd. The bleak near future look of MC1 worked really well, and helped set it apart from the comics version of MC1.
The city has a distinct look and character that hopefully can be expanded upon in sequels. Though not exactly original, the story is perfectly fine as a vehicle to  introduce the characters which is really all it needed to be.
I loved the brutal, uncompromising nature of the movie which reminded me of the violent action and science fiction films of the 70's and 80's.
Looking at comments on Twitter it seems to be a hit with UK audiences too.
Congratulations to everyone involved in its production and to those boarders who got a name-check in the film - you jammy bastards!  :lol:

jamesedwards

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 10 September, 2012, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: radiator on 10 September, 2012, 09:41:33 AM
There was tangible squirming and discomfort as Mama approached the ground, as people realised what was about to happen.

A colleague has just said the same thing to me, his screening was pretty busy and he says there was a group "ooooooooh" actually audible when the ground appears. My screenings were the same, you could feel everyone gripping their armrests. I think it's so effective because at that point you're enjoying the gorgeous slo-mo visuals that you almost forget a horrible death is imminent. It almost makes Ma Ma's death seem like a really beautiful thing and then the ugly reality sinks in. Brilliant.

Didn't bat an eyelid at Dredd's aggressive interrogation, he's done far worse as a means to an end.

Off for my third viewing tonight with my regular movie buddy, really looking forward to it, possibly even more than the first time.

For her it is quite beautiful: it's what she wanted all along.

One of the best bits of the movie and the use of daylight after was excellent.

jamesedwards

I think the most refreshing thing about this was that the clothing and transit were fairly ordinary looking. It never made sense for a post-doomsday society to have utopian technology. Drones, guns, massive buildings - containment and control are where the innovation lies.

It's an amazing aesthetic and internal logic that I hope any returns to this universe respect. I think it's good this Dreddworld is skewed differently from Dreddworld prime.

shaolin_monkey

Saw it again last night - 5th time.  I sorted out a Cineworld monthly pass, as the expense was just getting ludicrous.  My farts also smell of popcorn, so I will be sneaking healthier food into the auditorium from here on in.

On 5th viewing it still seems fresh and cool. I'm starting to mutter the lines under my breath as they arrive, and anticipate the arrival of some of my favourite scenes.  'Call 911', the cut to the overhead shot of the city at night, the 'Bad Judges' theme, and Lex and his cohorts riding in - brilliant.

Also, the mini-guns bit, when the flame from the end of each lights up Ma-Ma's face.  Lovely shot - emphasises what a nutjob she is.

When Anderson and Dredd leave the Hall of Justice on their bikes - love the meaty rumble and just the look of them both helmeted and ready to roll.

I am trying to look out for Goaty and Joe Soap, but keep being distracted by the action!

Anyway, I hope to see it a couple more times on my new Cineworld pass, and then I'll have to wait for the DVD/Blu Ray.  Is anyone else considering getting a 3D TV ahead of the Blu Ray release?!? 

chuffsteruk

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 September, 2012, 10:13:02 AM

Is anyone else considering getting a 3D TV ahead of the Blu Ray release?!?

I mentioned it to my Wife, she just gave me a look that told me I'd be nutless if I even looked at one....

Goaty

I am trying to look out for Goaty and Joe Soap, but keep being distracted by the action!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 17 September, 2012, 10:15:34 AM

I mentioned it to my Wife, she just gave me a look that told me I'd be nutless if I even looked at one....

Thankfully, I no longer have that problem.  :D   

Quote from: Goaty on 17 September, 2012, 10:15:55 AM

My god, it's no wonder I kept missing it!!!   

James Stacey

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 17 September, 2012, 10:15:34 AM

I bought a 3D tv a couple of weeks ago ready for it :). I needed a new TV anyway but that swung my decision to go 3D

Goaty

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 17 September, 2012, 10:18:04 AM
My god, it's no wonder I kept missing it!!!

It was there for 5 seconds, no wonder why I got big grin every time I saw that...  :D

Fisticuffs

I love Judge Lex more and more every time I see it, the man is in danger of upstaging Dredd in their scenes together! :D

chuffsteruk

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 17 September, 2012, 10:21:52 AM
I love Judge Lex more and more every time I see it, the man is in danger of upstaging Dredd in their scenes together! :D

Indeed, like Flashheart in Blackadder  :lol:

Hairwolf

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 17 September, 2012, 10:21:52 AM

Reckon he'd make a great Judge Pal.

radiator

Yeah, love the way he says "...Million", then smirks at Alvarez in a "This guy!" kinda way.