Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Yeah, not sure why - maybe they were underexposed and pushed in post, it's possible to remove grain and then add a little grain back in which looks better.

If they were shot on RED, the epics are better for low light, but I think they were using the previous models which might explain it.

It was only a couple of shots, but I noticed it as well.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 September, 2012, 02:50:25 PM
Yeah, not sure why - maybe they were underexposed and pushed in post, it's possible to remove grain and then add a little grain back in which looks better.

If they were shot on RED, the epics are better for low light, but I think they were using the previous models which might explain it.

It was only a couple of shots, but I noticed it as well.

Red Epic and SI2K's
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Steve Green

All the PR stuff I've read says it was the MX not the Epic. But you were there.

Could have been the SI2K of course, just surprised how noisy those shots were.

Michaelvk

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 September, 2012, 03:16:04 PM

It was also almost 2 years ago.. If they say MX, then it probably was the MX..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

Dod-Mantle mentioned changing between RED4K & SI2K* (back-pack camera) thus focal lengths/resolution would be altered if the 2 cameras were used in a single scene. It may be more noticeable in that darker scene more than any other if the RED one was reduced to 2K res to match the SI2K or vice versa.

*SI2K having a smaller chip/sensor size than the RED would mean different depth-of-field/focal-lengths ratio for each.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 September, 2012, 03:16:04 PM

It was the REDMX, Epic wasn't really out in the field then. You can also see the REDMX in the 3D rigs.

hazy efc

Quote from: Buddy on 19 September, 2012, 01:30:05 PM
Seen it last night and thought it was enjoyable enough with only a few gripes about it.

When Dredd is hiding behind the wall in the slo mo factory and Lex commands his lawgiver to go armour piercing and starts shooting THROUGH the wall Dredd is standing behind.... and he just stands there as the bullets get closer and closer... would it not have been an idea to get outta the way?
Effectively in this scene Dredd was beat, Lex had him pinned and it was only Andersons intervention that saved him. I just thought Dredd was too easily defeated to get to the point where he needed Anderson to step in. I understand for cinematic reasons why it happened, but it just didn't seem very Dredd like.

Also in the scene when he starts beatin up on the perp they have in tow... he seems to kinda loose it a bit, lets his anger get the better of him which is something I thought Dredd would always keep in check and not let emotions cloud his judgement.

Some of the dialogue was a bit clunky and there were a couple of planks in there instead of actors. But only minor roles.

Very much liked the look of the film, and the score was fantastic, the bike was great (loved the crowd control mode. It had a feeling of 70's/80's Carpenter films.. Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing etc... all great films.

All in all a good effort and I hope it makes enough to get a follow up.

When's teh DVD out??
what was dredd suppose to do he was out of ammo for 1 and 2 he was`nt going to just run out into the open it was the last bit of cover that he could find and as for when he is beating up Kay he wants to no why mama and her clan are willing to slaughter all those people ie the rail gun scene just to stop dredd and anderson from bringing Kay in for interrogation i agree with you totally on the look of the movie i thought the same thing  :D

Steve Green

Should have taken Chan's ammo... the dope ;)

Goaty

Quote from: Steve Green on 19 September, 2012, 03:34:57 PM
Should have taken Chan's ammo... the dope ;)

Moment of rush? Awake of other Judges on way...?

Steve Green

I know it's a contrivance to get him to the scene with Lex, it's the same as he doesn't pick up any of the weapons of the guys he drops in the slomo lab after that, despite knowing he's low on ammo.

There's not really a sense of urgency that stops him picking up at least one clip there, or one of the weapons of the guards, but Dredd's far from alone in that kind of thing.

blackmocco

According to this, Entertainment Weekly is about to give Dredd an enthusiastic review. This is great news. The most mainstream of all the entertainment industry magazines and a huge push to get regular punters to go "Hmm. Maybe I should go see this after all!" Awesome.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/09/19/dredd-3d-mondo-poster/
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Keef Monkey

Last night, at the point where Ma Ma tells him about the detonator, the guy behind me said "Stun" a couple of times in a "this is a stupid plot hole" kind of way.

It did make me think for a moment that Stun would have made sense, but I think the point was that Dredd had sentenced her already and there was no way he wasn't going to carry that out, so Stun just wasn't an option to him. That, or the ammo he picked up didn't have any of the special ammo types in it.

COMMANDO FORCES

If she had a dodgy ticker the stun may have killed her, look at tazers today. So go back in time and tell that twat to Drokk Off!

Danbo

Quote from: blackmocco on 19 September, 2012, 04:52:45 PM
According to this, Entertainment Weekly is about to give Dredd an enthusiastic review. This is great news. The most mainstream of all the entertainment industry magazines and a huge push to get regular punters to go "Hmm. Maybe I should go see this after all!" Awesome.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/09/19/dredd-3d-mondo-poster/
Needs some more positive reviews,it's dipped to 89% on RT,6 negative reviews? still pull that back I think.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Fisticuffs

Also don't know how many stun rounds he had, he only had two Hi-Ex.