Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Quote from: hazy efc on 19 September, 2012, 03:31:57 PM
Quote from: Buddy on 19 September, 2012, 01:30:05 PM
Seen it last night and thought it was enjoyable enough with only a few gripes about it.

When Dredd is hiding behind the wall in the slo mo factory and Lex commands his lawgiver to go armour piercing and starts shooting THROUGH the wall Dredd is standing behind.... and he just stands there as the bullets get closer and closer... would it not have been an idea to get outta the way?
Effectively in this scene Dredd was beat, Lex had him pinned and it was only Andersons intervention that saved him. I just thought Dredd was too easily defeated to get to the point where he needed Anderson to step in. I understand for cinematic reasons why it happened, but it just didn't seem very Dredd like.

Also in the scene when he starts beatin up on the perp they have in tow... he seems to kinda loose it a bit, lets his anger get the better of him which is something I thought Dredd would always keep in check and not let emotions cloud his judgement.

Some of the dialogue was a bit clunky and there were a couple of planks in there instead of actors. But only minor roles.

Very much liked the look of the film, and the score was fantastic, the bike was great (loved the crowd control mode. It had a feeling of 70's/80's Carpenter films.. Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing etc... all great films.

All in all a good effort and I hope it makes enough to get a follow up.

When's teh DVD out??
what was dredd suppose to do he was out of ammo for 1 and 2 he was`nt going to just run out into the open it was the last bit of cover that he could find and as for when he is beating up Kay he wants to no why mama and her clan are willing to slaughter all those people ie the rail gun scene just to stop dredd and anderson from bringing Kay in for interrogation i agree with you totally on the look of the movie i thought the same thing  :D

He could have improvised with something... he's Dredd!

He wouldn't just stand there and wait for Lex to come get him... He didn't know Anderson was free at that point so had no idea she was on her way to know he could stall Lex until she showed up.

I'd have liked him to show off some knife skills and maybe sticking it up through Lex's throat or something.

dweezil2

Quote from: Buddy on 19 September, 2012, 05:39:51 PM
Quote from: hazy efc on 19 September, 2012, 03:31:57 PM
Quote from: Buddy on 19 September, 2012, 01:30:05 PM
Seen it last night and thought it was enjoyable enough with only a few gripes about it.

When Dredd is hiding behind the wall in the slo mo factory and Lex commands his lawgiver to go armour piercing and starts shooting THROUGH the wall Dredd is standing behind.... and he just stands there as the bullets get closer and closer... would it not have been an idea to get outta the way?
Effectively in this scene Dredd was beat, Lex had him pinned and it was only Andersons intervention that saved him. I just thought Dredd was too easily defeated to get to the point where he needed Anderson to step in. I understand for cinematic reasons why it happened, but it just didn't seem very Dredd like.

Also in the scene when he starts beatin up on the perp they have in tow... he seems to kinda loose it a bit, lets his anger get the better of him which is something I thought Dredd would always keep in check and not let emotions cloud his judgement.

Some of the dialogue was a bit clunky and there were a couple of planks in there instead of actors. But only minor roles.

Very much liked the look of the film, and the score was fantastic, the bike was great (loved the crowd control mode. It had a feeling of 70's/80's Carpenter films.. Escape From New York, Assault on Precinct 13, The Thing etc... all great films.

All in all a good effort and I hope it makes enough to get a follow up.

When's teh DVD out??
what was dredd suppose to do he was out of ammo for 1 and 2 he was`nt going to just run out into the open it was the last bit of cover that he could find and as for when he is beating up Kay he wants to no why mama and her clan are willing to slaughter all those people ie the rail gun scene just to stop dredd and anderson from bringing Kay in for interrogation i agree with you totally on the look of the movie i thought the same thing  :D

He could have improvised with something... he's Dredd!

He wouldn't just stand there and wait for Lex to come get him... He didn't know Anderson was free at that point so had no idea she was on her way to know he could stall Lex until she showed up.

I'd have liked him to show off some knife skills and maybe sticking it up through Lex's throat or something.

Maybe Andserson sent Dredd an "I'm on my way" psi flash!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Fisticuffs

Dredd's not an idiot, knife vs gun is only ever gonna go one way...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 19 September, 2012, 06:30:21 PM

c'mon that bootknife has saved Dredd from far bigger bastards than one bent Judge. Might have been a giveaway though as he has to shout BOOTKNIFE every time.

flesario

Thing is he was up against a Judge who has been through the acadamy as did Dredd. It always seems irritating when other Judges are fodder.

Buddy

So Dredds gonna just give up an say... Hey, you gotta gun I only gotta knife... you win shoot me now....

I don't think so.

vzzbux

Quote from: flesario on 19 September, 2012, 06:49:29 PM
Thing is he was up against a Judge who has been through the acadamy as did Dredd. It always seems irritating when other Judges are fodder.
Totally agree.
That's my pet peeve on a lot of writers on Dredd. Other Judges are off'ed far too easily.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Sherman Kid

I know what you mean, but in the film all the Judges came across rightly as as bad ass and none went out as easily (the female was unlucky not knowing Anderson was a psychic sidekick)

Dark Jimbo

Late to the party as ever, but I finally saw Dredd tonight. I very much doubt anything I have to say hasn't already been said before and better by someone else here, so I'll just suffice with - loved it. Had a big stupid grin on my face throughout. More please.  :thumbsup:
@jamesfeistdraws

dweezil2

Noticed that Dredd said he was from sector 13 when he was speaking to Chan. A reference to John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 from Alex Garland, I wonder?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

DeFuzzed

Quote from: Buddy on 19 September, 2012, 08:25:15 PM

So Dredds gonna just give up an say... Hey, you gotta gun I only gotta knife... you win shoot me now....

I don't think so.

I think he would have tried something, if he hadn't noticed Anderson was there. Regardless of whether it would have worked, he would have tried. But he's not invulnerable and no matter how well-trained he is, it really is very easy to get hurt/die due to a number of reasons - and I think that was the main point of that scene, to show that he really is not an invulnerable superhero.

Anyway, that's how it came across to my non-Dredd-fan friends, and they were truly shocked when it happened, especially the slow slide down the wall as the shock and pain set in. Then they won the day despite both being 'taken down' and it was a greater win for it.

Richmond Clements

QuoteBut he's not invulnerable and no matter how well-trained he is, it really is very easy to get hurt/die due to a number of reasons - and I think that was the main point of that scene

Exactly how I read it. It sold Dredd as a MAN not a SUPERHERO.
He was clearly exhausted and at the end of his rope. And besides - where exactly where he was supposed to run to? He was cornered with no gun. Oh yeah, I'll wave a knife at this here corrupt Judge... that'll do it...

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 19 September, 2012, 09:04:07 PM

I know what you mean, but in the film all the Judges came across rightly as as bad ass and none went out as easily (the female was unlucky not knowing Anderson was a psychic sidekick)

I agree.  In fact, if you consider all his previous assailants, Ma-Ma's crew, the juves etc etc, he waded through them like a hot knife through butter without a scratch.  It was only when he came across his fellow Academy of Law grads that he struggled, to the point of serious injury.  Had Anderson not stepped in, he would have been dead. 

radiator

It's important too, because it throws things into perspective for Dredd. Anderson may not be HIS kind of judge, but she proves herself and he realises he can trust her - just as it is in the comics.

It really bugs me when people say that Dredd has 'no plot' or 'no story' - it has a SIMPLE plot, yes, but give me a simple story expertly and elegantly told than an overblown, undercooked, slightly muddled 'epic' (Dark Knight Rises) any day.

Richmond Clements

QuoteIt's important too, because it throws things into perspective for Dredd. Anderson may not be HIS kind of judge, but she proves herself and he realises he can trust her - just as it is in the comics.

And building on this observation, it also has the female 'sidekick' character saving the life of the male lead.