Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Quote from: Leigh S on 20 September, 2012, 03:08:20 PM
Possibly, but its not explicit

Thats one of the things i liked best about this film, nothing much was made explicit.
But one thing we can be sure of is that Dredd is a fascist,  ;)

(I know some people didnt like this film version of Dredd, as Dredd, for them, was stories like Citizen Snork, Dave the Orangutan et al - altogether more gentler fare. Though this side of the strip is perhaps long gone, to a degree).

Leigh S

Don't get me wrong, I think it works OK for the world the film is making - but I also think it misses a trick about the character, or at least makes him more generic action hero than the Dredd of the comics.  I dont think that the 30 year old strip was aimed at making Dredd a more kiddy friendly character, but more extreme (in an interesting rather than violent way).  Cutting those interesting angles off him seems a bit of a waste - after all, you dont need CGI and a big budget to implement those kind of things... It would be interesting to see if there is a comparative Wagner "beat em up" moment from Dredd in recent years?

AS for the slomo, it only slows perceptions, so Im not sure what help it would be in terms of controlling her heartbeat... theres no on screen explanation, so as a fan, I would look for and embrace a "non sadistic" reason...

Anyway, its a great film outside those gripes - loved seeing the old style Janet Shepherd logo in 3D...For  one second I thought we were going to get Dredds classic speech at the end - "400 million cits, each a potential criminal. The most evil, violent city on earth - But by God, I love it".. probably wouldnt ahve fitted very well though!

hazy efc

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 19 September, 2012, 04:57:17 PM
Last night, at the point where Ma Ma tells him about the detonator, the guy behind me said "Stun" a couple of times in a "this is a stupid plot hole" kind of way.

It did make me think for a moment that Stun would have made sense, but I think the point was that Dredd had sentenced her already and there was no way he wasn't going to carry that out, so Stun just wasn't an option to him. That, or the ammo he picked up didn't have any of the special ammo types in it.
He was pretty much at the end of his tether with mama and like you said had already sentenced her to death and i think he wanted to give her a taste of her own medicine quite literally plus also i think the reason why kay near the begging of the movie say`s they should give the three guys who get skined and thrown to their deaths some slomo is because it must slow the heart rate down and maybe stop you from cardiac arresting on the way down so you dont black out before hitting the bottom and dredd i think picks up on this when he investigates the bodys he clocks that they had been using slomo

Steve Green

Quote from: Leigh S on 20 September, 2012, 04:11:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think it works OK for the world the film is making - but I also think it misses a trick about the character, or at least makes him more generic action hero than the Dredd of the comics.  I dont think that the 30 year old strip was aimed at making Dredd a more kiddy friendly character, but more extreme (in an interesting rather than violent way).  Cutting those interesting angles off him seems a bit of a waste - after all, you dont need CGI and a big budget to implement those kind of things... It would be interesting to see if there is a comparative Wagner "beat em up" moment from Dredd in recent years?

AS for the slomo, it only slows perceptions, so Im not sure what help it would be in terms of controlling her heartbeat... theres no on screen explanation, so as a fan, I would look for and embrace a "non sadistic" reason...

Anyway, its a great film outside those gripes - loved seeing the old style Janet Shepherd logo in 3D...For  one second I thought we were going to get Dredds classic speech at the end - "400 million cits, each a potential criminal. The most evil, violent city on earth - But by God, I love it".. probably wouldnt ahve fitted very well though!

They did tone it down in the beginning.

The Courtroom script and the Bank Raid strip being rejected, and censored strips so tone down the executioner aspect, also Dredd not killing Frankenstein 2 where it's pretty obvious that was the original intention.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 September, 2012, 05:06:12 PM
...also Dredd not killing Frankenstein 2 where it's pretty obvious that was the original intention.

Oh, Lor. ::) 'He makes the original Frankenstein look like a jelly baby!'
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

True enough, though only Bank Raid is Wagner, and its not the same strip that Dredd became - toning it down for the kids has been partly the reason the strip evolved in the way it did, and it was all the more interesting for it I'd say.  If Dredd had stayed Bank Raid/courtroom Dredd, he would not have been the character he is - for all we know the strip may well have bombed on that portrayal. 

As I say, as fans, we can try to equate screen Dredd with comic dredd by saying he's in an extreme situation and hes tryiong to stop the bomb go off... but as a non fan, and going off the screen info only, you would just see him as being vindictive in that final scene and assume executing perps on the spot was standard practice - for me screen Dredd does differ quite markedly in these respects from comic Dredd, for good or ill.  A Democracy sequel could use these 'harsher' elements as added fodder...but I would have liked Dredd to retain some of that comic book feel personally, as it adds a lot more depth and contradiction to the Judges than what we see - Judges having that code of conduct even in the face of absolute chaos... its a good avenue to differentiate the Judges as an almost religous... (not the right word but...) order - something more than just unaccountable police

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 September, 2012, 05:06:12 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 20 September, 2012, 04:11:06 PM

They did tone it down in the beginning.

The Courtroom script and the Bank Raid strip being rejected, and censored strips so tone down the executioner aspect, also Dredd not killing Frankenstein 2 where it's pretty obvious that was the original intention.

Danbo

85% on RT now  :|

c'mon America,love it.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Fisticuffs

If you'd told me a month ago that it would be at 85% I'd have been ecstatic. We've been spoilt by the +90%'s. :D

Danbo

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 20 September, 2012, 06:53:39 PM
If you'd told me a month ago that it would be at 85% I'd have been ecstatic. We've been spoilt by the +90%'s. :D
I'm fine with 85 just don't want it to drop anymore.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 20 September, 2012, 04:02:31 PM
Look at the Apoc' War, Dredd and other Judges herd Sov sympathisers into a pit and execute the lot. Having him punch and headbutt a suspect in order to gain possibly critical information is small fry by comparison.

Not the same thing. Mega-City One was at war. Ma-Ma's just another perp.

Quote from: Judge Jack on 20 September, 2012, 04:08:41 PM
But one thing we can be sure of is that Dredd is a fascist,  ;)

Authoritarian ;)
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Martin Howe

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 September, 2012, 06:32:12 PMMight have been a giveaway though as he has to shout BOOTKNIFE every time.
LOL, imagine the gun saying "Out of ammo" when he shouts "Boot Knife" :P

I was wondering that, however...   and did he ever say "Creep?" I could only afford to see it once and can't remember that. I mean, even in THAT movie, Stallone calls some SJS creep a, well, "CREEP!"
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

Spikes

No 'creep' this time around, im afraid.  :(

Fisticuffs

Hey we got a 'Happy Birthday, Creeps!', stop whining. :D

COMMANDO FORCES

Goaty