Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelvk

Oh dear.. The states went to midnight screenings and it's plummeted to 80% on RT..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Michaelvk

..In fairness, I haven't been keeping an eye on RT lately..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

junox

Michaelvk
yeah
RT started off really high  think thats why it feels bad now. " but keep the faith"
Dredd has a fan base, i personally think  we will all be surprised by the amount dredd3d  make's  in the UK, never mind the rest of the world..... f#ck America
i keep emailing friends facebookin  trying to get folk to go instead of  waiting for the DVD  B/ray
watch out for illegal copies ,from NOW on the internet .. report to your local sector house (copyright protection) appropriate authorities lets keep this in cinemas . . . . . . . 

BOB

Spaceghost

Quote from: Michaelvk on 21 September, 2012, 07:46:47 AM
Oh dear.. The states went to midnight screenings and it's plummeted to 80% on RT..

Americunts.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Keef Monkey

There's a weekly film discussion thread at work where we spend days breaking down TDKR or Prometheus or whatever, and this week all anyone has been talking about is DREDD. None of these people have any experience of the comic, but whereas every other film that gets brought up gets torn apart and has every little inconsistency and plot hole given a kicking, no-one has a single bad thing to say about DREDD and everyone is absolutely raving about it.

Being the only fan of the comics I'm being hit with all sorts of questions (how do does such and such work in the comics, how did the judges come about etc.) and it's really nice that the things that aren't explained in the film aren't being picked apart as inconsistencies or plot holes, but are really hooking people into the universe itself.

One colleague mentioned that the film left her thinking about the moral ambiguity of Dredd and the justice system in general, I mentioned that it's been inferred in the comics that the judges were a post-war stop-gap but wouldn't relinquish power, mentioned all the democracy stuff and that aspect of it seems to have hooked people big time and they want to read more.

Wasn't too sure what to recommend, so I loaned them America to pass around and suggested Democracy Now and Origins would be good bets. Just feels awesome that this thing I love and rattle on about is being so warmly embraced. Man, I love this movie.

Danbo

I 'liked' the Expendables 2 page on FB and they put up a Dredd pic with all the poster quotes etc butsome of the comments on there were shockingly small minded,on about boycotting the 'remake' Stallone forever etc...fucking idiots.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Something Fishy

Sad to see this down to 58 now on metacritic. The americans don't get it it seems.

20's from the new York papers seems bloody harsh.  It's wasted on them.

Hard to see it getting anywhere mear enough money for a sequel then with these reviews. Bloody shame.

JOE SOAP

Bad reviews never stopped 5 Resident Evil films.

Something Fishy

No that's very true. They had the brand though, I just fear Dredd doesn't have that in the US.  Fingers crossed though.

Dirty Sanchez

New York officially hates a Judge Dredd movie that cross-pollinates Escape From New York and The Warriors

Drown in a skinny latte Guiliani

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dirty Sanchez on 21 September, 2012, 09:01:01 PM
New York officially hates a Judge Dredd movie that cross-pollinates Escape From New York and The Warriors

Drown in a skinny latte Guiliani

...and strangle yourself with a bagel.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Woooooo hoooooo, just back, finally, finally got to see it.

Many many, many thoughts, including a few minor quibbles, but I need to let them ferment for a while, so just some surface observations for tonight:

Overall Highlight: Urban is Judge Dredd.  JUDGE DREDD.  Never doubted it was him from the first shot to the last.  Amazing performance, amazing costume.

Favourite dialogue:  The elevator exchange: "He's thinking about taking your gun". "Yeah".  Brilliant.

Favourite action scene:  The Gatling/Tracer guns.  Audacious, relentless.

Favourite thing:  The absolutely solid, convincing, cohesive look of everything. The Lawgiver was a thing of pure, refined beauty (I want one): a character in itself. The graffiti. The residents. The clan.  Peachtrees itself.  The City.

Thing that surprised me most: How cleverly fleshed out almost every speaking part was, wasn't really expecting that. 

Enjoy it?  Of course I enjoyed it!

Richmond Clements

Oh man. Glad you like it, TB. This pleases me.

Goaty

Hoagy

Quote from: Martin Howe on 20 September, 2012, 11:31:13 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 20 September, 2012, 10:18:44 PM
Couldn't give a Drokk about Drokk! But a Creep would be nice!  :D
Stomm, yeah :) Dredd without Creep is like Alpha without #4 or Anderson without psi; it's one of his trademarks. I can understand relegating Drokk to a jacket, but Creep is a normal insult in the real world, so no reason not to use it; if the reason was paring Dredd's dialog down, it could have been worked in just the once, like Drokk/Resyk/Cubes were, perhaps by having Anderson say it (i.e., rookie in stress loses her cool and swears at a perp). Don't remember the happy birthday bit, where was that?

Umm, doesn't Ma-Ma throw in a sly, " creep" when she's ordering the death of Dredd?
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract