Main Menu

DREDD reviews. (SPOILERS!)

Started by blackmocco, 30 August, 2012, 10:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 21 September, 2012, 10:09:57 PM
Oh man. Glad you like it, TB. This pleases me.

And me. Mr Back articulated many of the things I found pleasing more concisely and more expressively than I could have (or did) manage. Pleased you made it to a showing, sir. :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

PsychoGoatee

Just got back, loved it! Very strong film, has a bit of an oldschool crime movie vibe, and maybe a bit of a John Carpenter vibe too. More of a violent cop movie than a straight action movie, which is a bit unique in recent years. And of course the cool sci-fi touches, and especially how well and imaginatively Anderson's psi abilites spiced thing up.

Of course most important is how perfectly they did Dredd! Kudos to Urban and everyone else. They just nailed it, and watching his character do his thing and be put into any situation is entertaining. Plus great how Anderson gives us another avenue to access these situations emotionally. Getting those two right is the most excellent.

One thing I did find slightly curious is how Dredd didn't tell Anderson she passed. And she didn't seem to psychically know she passed either, since she gave him her badge. Dredd is "ol stony face" so how they did it does work, but he's usually there to give a colleague credit after an ordeal as well, especially Anderson.

Still, I love how it ends with the bleak and badass feel that this is just another day on the job, like in the books.
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 September, 2012, 09:15:13 AMI particularly love the fact that Dredd gives a five word summary of the entire movie at the end, with that perfect pause before the final "...uncooperative."
Concurred, that bit was classic. Sums Dredd up perfectly, excellent stuff.

As for posts that Dredd saying creep in a sequel wouldn't sound good, personally I think that'd sound fine. Dirty Harry says creep, it's not like audiences would find it odd. I'd dig it. As for drokk, I'd be fine with that too, but since they're going for real life profanity I can see why they wouldn't go drokk. But if he just happened to say it while ducking from an explosion or during action, I doubt nonscots would think much of it.  :D

One random note, I love the title card. Or title reveal, just the cool Dredd font smashing forward, had a fun kind of comics punk feel to it.

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 18 September, 2012, 10:27:59 AMReally like the way Dredd doesn't come across as a 'superhero' with a reputation. He has a name with other judges but doesn't seem to with cits / perps. None of that: it's Judge Dredd coming to save the day BS.
I disagree there, though it worked fine in this movie. I don't think it's BS though, after all he's done he really is a huge figure in his city, it makes sense everyone knows him in the books. In this movie's universe I'd think criminals would know his name after what just happened, plus he said his name and gave the whole block a warning. So for sequels, I think that element would be there.

As for alterations to the movie, one thing I remember hearing was in the movie, whether in the script or what, was Dredd shooting through a bystander non-fatally to hit a perp, and saying "you'll be fine" or similar. I assume that's the part that was changed to the hot-shot part? Still, the hot shot bit was great. Maybe a beat to use in a sequel.

Anyways, great movie, as a fan it's great to finally have it out there, and in recent talk it's great to finally see it and read other's thoughts on it after the two weeks. Goods, delivered! Here's hoping we get many sequels, the potential is limitless.

Frank

I wouldn't normally do this, but someone who isn't allowed on this forum anymore just poted their detailed review of the film in IMDB. Any help in getting rid of him, so he can't peddle distortions and inaccuracies like this there, would be appreciated:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/board/flat/204833953

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: bikini kill on 22 September, 2012, 11:22:48 PM

I wouldn't normally do this, but someone who isn't allowed on this forum anymore just poted their detailed review of the film in IMDB. Any help in getting rid of him, so he can't peddle distortions and inaccuracies like this there, would be appreciated:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/board/flat/204833953

I thought that was actually pretty well thought out, apart from one vital ingredient. He clearly had not watched the film. Dredd is solid. Originality has nothing to do with a good film, and if it did, Dredd is original anyway. The best film ever made according to something (can't remeber what) is Vertigo, which is based on a book anyway. Originality is bullshit, it's what each artist makes of the same scenario that makes it different.

Here is a quote from a great director called Jim Jarmusch, who probably stole this quote anyway, but you get the point.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to."

I did have more points but it's taken me about half an hour to do this so I am gonna quit while I feel like a genius.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also, I  didn't see who said it, but saw it mentioned above. Who ever thinks Dredd calling someone a creep wouldn't fit in a sequel should kill themselves.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: DeFuzzed on 20 September, 2012, 09:16:54 PM
I'm hoping they don't put drokk/creeps etc in any potential future sequels. Very happy they didn't put it in now. Put it in graffiti, sure, but not said, just for the simple fact it sounds stupid. Even frak in BSG lingo is walking a fine line and I'm of the view it's walking on the wrong side of the line.

OK now I've found the culprit. Are you insane?

junox

Okay  this has some real interesting sections.  not all positive,  Dont flame me   :(
its from the guy that s on the BBC film reviews  Mark Kermode - Dredd
radio report no video..
http://youtu.be/tknJUPcxoRM

okay ... you know what pisses me off with every ""STOOPID"" reviewer is the kneed  for COMPARISON to THE RAID

Richmond Clements

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 23 September, 2012, 02:16:27 AM
Also, I  didn't see who said it, but saw it mentioned above. Who ever thinks Dredd calling someone a creep wouldn't fit in a sequel should kill themselves.

Ummm... going slightly too far there, I think.

shaolin_monkey

Quote"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: "It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to."

Awesome quote, and I can illustrate it with an example.  Has anyone seen any of Rob Paravonian's stuff? He did a great sketch called 'Pachelbel Rant' about how much he hates Pachelbels Canon in D. It's because people rip off the chord structure so often. He then proceeds to do a very funny medley of famous pop songs, from the Beatles to Avril Lavigne, using that chord structure.

I pointed this sketch out to my harp tutor, as we were working on Canon in D at the time. She thought the sketch was very funny, but commented that Pachelbel had ripped off the chord structure himself from a piece of 14th century Welsh folk music!!!

So yeah, don't get hung up on whether something is original or not. 99% of the time it won't be. However, it's how the plagiarism is used that's important, and I think in Dredd we can all agree it is used to superb effect.

:)

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 September, 2012, 09:38:18 AM

Sorry, I thought I was being really funny at the time.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 23 September, 2012, 10:38:40 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 September, 2012, 09:38:18 AM

Sorry, I thought I was being really funny at the time.

Ah, fair enough... maybe a smiley would have helped!

Steve Green

Quote from: junox on 23 September, 2012, 09:06:33 AM
Okay  this has some real interesting sections.  not all positive,  Dont flame me   :(
its from the guy that s on the BBC film reviews  Mark Kermode - Dredd
radio report no video..
http://youtu.be/tknJUPcxoRM

okay ... you know what pisses me off with every ""STOOPID"" reviewer is the kneed  for COMPARISON to THE RAID

Yeah, I listened to that when it was first broadcast - I looked up Robert Z'Dar - he may as well be talking about casting Rocky Dennis, it would be ridiculous.

The terrible comparisons to the Raid and it being light on its feet - It's Dredd, not Pineapple Dance Studios.

radiator

There just seems to be this unshakable perception, wildly inaccurate and uninformed as it is, among the majority that Dredd '3D' represents some kind of nadir in popular culture - a REMAKE of a woefully unpopular Stallone film, IN 3D!

They always had an uphill battle to sell this movie, and it seems like nothing short of a massive media blitz would have done anything to change that (then the movie would have had to recoupany times more).

I fully expect Dredd to have a RELATIVELY strong second week, but it'll be too little too late.

A cult hit it is. And as others have said, we got a smashing film out of it, that will ultimately do a world of good for the Dredd brand in the long term. But I feel genuinely upset and frustrated at this latest development, this film is so close to my heart, not least because of the fan screening and meeting Alex etc, it's really sad that this is the result after all the build up.

radiator

Sorry, that was meant for the box office thread! Whoops.