Main Menu

Last year's Resolutions: How did you do?

Started by House of Usher, 28 December, 2009, 05:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

Here's 2009's New Year's Resolutions thread. Did you manage to keep your resolutions?

http://2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,23871.0.html

Mine were:
Quote from: House of Usher on 01 January, 2009, 02:06:39 PM
1. Become a real person again in 2009 instead of being a sort of phantom
2. Do my best to get back into a professional occupational role that pays more than just my mortgage
3. Buy a rowing machine - it's been 13 months since I had time to do real exercise

1. I almost achieved it; I'm about 75% there. I just need to stabilize my new host body.
2. Done, albeit only at a graduate entry level.
3. Done, though I haven't used it since August what with all the decorating and mess. I'll get back to it in 2010, and there's a gym at my new workplace, so I won't remain 7 pounds overweight for long.
STRIKE !!!

Noisybast

It appears I didn't actually post one last year, but it would have been to lose some weight, same as every other year. I actually did acheive it, shifting just a pound short of two stone by August.

Unfortunately, I then got ill for three months with a mysterious chest complaint that rendered me incapable of even the lightest of exercise and put at least a stone back on. Throw December's twin perils of my birthday and Christmas into the mix, and I'm only about half a stone better off than I was this time last year.

So nextyear? More of the same, but successful.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Jim_Campbell

I hardly killed anyone this year. :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 January, 2009, 01:35:13 PM
Inspired by Godpleton, I am resolving to be less tolerant of other people's opinions.
Judge for yourselves.
We never really die.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 01 January, 2009, 01:27:53 AM
1- Buy more Dredd items.
2- Go home to Hartlepool and see my family, sometime.
3- Lose a wee bit of weight by using the wii fit as a stepping board. I just can't fit jogging about the streets in anymore as it bores me to death.
4- Decorate the house with any spare money once I have done number 1.

Well, lets see!

1- Yes, that was easy but still not enough. Best item of the year, the HELMET
2- Nope, just couldn't fit it in with the job situ during the summer (made redundant, went on gardening leave, got a load of redundancy and then walked into an even better job)
3- No visible change, although I did take up canoeing in the summer. Lets see what happens this year.
4- Nope, I couldn't be arsed.

So all in all about half complete but number two was out of my hands.

Mike Gloady

Mine weren't posted here, but they were.....

1. Remain a non-smoker. (I smoked a few fags I have to admit, but mostly I've nailed that one).
2. Be a better son/brother (well, I'm still working on the brother bit, as for the son bit I reckon I did ok, nothing to feel guilty about as I know my mum appreciated everything I did in her last year).
3. Try to run/exercise more (semi-achieved, must improve my efforts here).

I'm reposting those as my resolutions for 2010.  I'm near perfect in every other way. 
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

COMMANDO FORCES

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 01 January, 2009, 01:18:18 AM
This year I aim to:
1)   Travel,
2)   Discover new music and comics rather then sticking to old favorites,
3)   Improve myself,
4)   Start thinking for myself more.

1) Managed to to get to Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Hungary, Slovakia, Austria and The Czech Republic
2) I did find some great new music, thanks in part to this board. I also starting reading The Sandman and 1000 Bullets, neater of which i find to be fantastic, but there definitely enjoyable.
3) Got lazy
4) To some extent. Moved back out of my parents house when I got a new job so, I've not really had a choice not to.

Buttonman

1) Lose 2 stone. Hovering about 15.5 stone, the chart says I should be 12.5. I''ll settle for 1 stone more. EPIC FAIL
Put a stone on instead. This was due to my getting an office job in June to escape the economic downturn. Alas it has meant lots of choco Heroes and pasta lunches and no exercise.

2) Get 10 letters published by The House of Tharg. Predictable I know but a pull back from 2008's onslaught. Hopefully Floyd will stay in hibernation and I can chip away at his massive 78. FAIL Only managed three but Tharg has to shoulder some of the blame for making the letters page as rare as a generours Edinburgher. Floyd only got two in so I have chipped away at his lead by, er, one.

3) Succeed with my latest madcap scheme, details of which will follow. TOTAL FAIL This was to start a thread about the genesis of and the eventual publishing of a finely crafted Future Shock but alas it floundered when Tharg's reply schedule would have meant said thread would have been nothing but endless 'TTP's. That and all the said shocks being unshocking apart from the standard of writing. Dave 'Bolt01' Evans offered some harsh but harsh critisism and Tharg delivered the coup de grace with a couple of pishy, sorry, pithy paragraphs.

Next year I have two family weddings so I'll lose three stone for them (by July!), win the 'Best Dressed' on the HI-Ex bus - should be a sure thing, and get a more modest target of five letters published. Totally do-able. Well the last one at any rate...

Kerrin

I managed one, enter more monthly art comps. Everything else was a total and utter failure.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 January, 2009, 06:29:51 PM
1 - Eat more fruit.
2 - Drink more water.
3 - Get a new job.
4 - Draw more regularly.
5 - Finish writing my novel.

1 - Not unless 'pizza' and 'chocolate' are kinds of fruit.
2 - Nope.
3 - Surprisingly I did, falling into it quite by accident.
4 - Yes, but still room for improvement.
5 - Erm, not quite, but nearly.

Two out of five ain't bad, I suppose.
@jamesfeistdraws

Roger Godpleton

Read at your peril: [spoiler]Less onanism. Much less[/spoiler].

Failure.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Dandontdare

Whose idea was this? I usually feel guilty for about a month and then forget all about my resolutions, but now you've dredged them up, I'd best see what I resolved:

Mine were:
1. Sit down with books, manuals and tutorials and really learn how to use my digital SLR, photoshop, Corel Draw, Google sketch and my pen-tablet software.
I would have done this, if you bastards didn't keep distracting me with your artworks, stories, problems, truiumphs, reviews, questions and general babbling. NO TIME!

2. Give my PC some long-overdue TLC - run all those long winded scans and diagnostics, defrag, compress or otherwise clean up my hard drive, uninstall all the crap I never use, organise all my photos, back everything up to HD and discs, etc.
Well sort of - I have done numerous scans and cleanups, but only because I'm virus ridden. I still don't back up monthly which was my plan - probably done it twice in whole year

Not making any this year as the inevitable failure just gets me down. May try to tackle the ever expanding belly, but that's an ongoing aim rather than a new year resolution.

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 28 December, 2009, 05:54:18 PM
Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 01 January, 2009, 01:18:18 AM
3)   Improve myself,

3) Got lazy

Job done! welcome to the ranks of the bone idle - It's a huge improvement isn't it? :D

W. R. Logan

My resolution was to be more cheery.

I think I've surpassed all expectations!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 29 December, 2009, 12:45:56 PM
I think I've surpassed all expectations!

Indeed. You were hardly grumpy at all when you weren't here!

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.