Main Menu

The First Judge Dredd Comic?

Started by EddieHitler, 26 June, 2010, 10:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieHitler

Hello
I once read some time ago an article about a Judge Dredd dummy comic that was produced some time in the late 1970's and was then distributed by accident to a limited number of newsagents.  Has any one any further information about this?
Paul

Wake

Quote from: charleswalter1860 on 26 June, 2010, 10:20:31 PM
Hello
I once read some time ago an article about a Judge Dredd dummy comic that was produced some time in the late 1970's and was then distributed by accident to a limited number of newsagents.  Has any one any further information about this?
Paul

Hi Paul,

Are you thinking of this one?

Click HERE for more info.

EddieHitler

Thank you Wake!
Do you know anything more about it?  Do any copies ever come up for sale?
Thanks also for the scan of the front cover.
I have been trying to remember where I first read about this comic but with little joy.
Thanks again
Paul

EddieHitler

Drats!! fooled again maybe I should have clicked on more info first! I always get a little bit over excited when it comes to these things.
Fantastic spoof cover though. 
Which copy of the Judge Dredd magazine was this published in (prob 1st April!)?
Oh well Wake at least I made you laugh this morning.
Regards
Paul

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Thats a really good spoof cover. Who created that ?
Never rub another mans rhubarb

House of Usher

A lovely Sunday afternoon nostalgia-trip and another chance to bow before the awesomeness of Michael Carroll!
:lol:
STRIKE !!!

Emperor

Quote from: charleswalter1860 on 26 June, 2010, 10:20:31 PM
Hello
Paul

There was Prog 0 but it never had any Dredd in it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/2000adstrips/prog0/index.shtml
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

judge cooper

wasn't the first one called bank raid
NAZI ZOMBIES!!!YYYEEEEEEEEEAAAARRRGH

Dandontdare

What was intended to be the first story did indeed feature a bank raid, but was deemed too violent for publication (Dredd coldly excutes some bank robbers and then when a passerby steps into the street, Dredd tries to arrest him for jaywalking, he makes a run for it, so dredd shoots him - Can't see what the problem was! :D).

This has been reprinted a couple of times. It was replaced by the Whitey story in prog 2.

judge cooper

i knew it
i have it in the complete case files one

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 June, 2010, 04:54:47 PM
What was intended to be the first story did indeed feature a bank raid, but was deemed too violent for publication (Dredd coldly excutes some bank robbers and then when a passerby steps into the street, Dredd tries to arrest him for jaywalking, he makes a run for it, so dredd shoots him - Can't see what the problem was! :D).

I thought the reason they didn't go with it was that the crime was said to be too mundane?

Rio De Fideldo

There was a proposed Dredd fortnightly which they began to gather strips for in the eighties. I would love to see a printed reconstruction presented as one of the bagged graphic novels in the Meg as it would be something a bit different. That spoof cover would be a fun image to utilise.

It was due to include several strips which were later printed in 2000ad/specials as far as I can recall:

Judge Anderson: Four Dark Judges (Wagner/Grant/Ewins) (Was this originally going to be called Revenge as this word appears on the first page of the first part)Printed in the weekly

The Blockers Wagner/Grant/Casanovas Printed in a Dredd Special

Helltrekkers Wagner/Grant/Ortiz Printed in the Weekly

B.A.D. Company Wagner/Grant/Ezquerra One episode printed in the Meg

Badlander Alan Moore/Collins/Farmer? Proposal page drawn

Untitled Justice Academy story Ian Gibson One page drawn

Unknown Judge Dredd story (Does anyone know what story was earmarked for the fortnightly but which made it into the Weekly?) I'd like to think the Midnight Surfer as once again it utilised an existing Dreddworld character-Chopper from Un-American Graffiti

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Richard T Field on 29 June, 2010, 12:19:56 PM
There was a proposed Dredd fortnightly which they began to gather strips for in the eighties. I would love to see a printed reconstruction presented as one of the bagged graphic novels in the Meg as it would be something a bit different.
Cool idea for a Meg anniversary edition. On real newsprint paper rather than a pretend aged look, please.

judge cooper

wait wait wait what was the first published story
wasnt it judge whitey

Dandontdare

Quote from: judge cooper on 29 June, 2010, 01:29:45 PM
wait wait wait what was the first published story
wasnt it judge whitey
Yes, Whitey was the first ever PUBLISHED story - it appeared in Prog 2 (no Dredd in prog 1) and replaced the bank-raid story that was going to be the first.