Main Menu

What got me in to 2000AD: Strontium Dog.

Started by AlpineNewt, 26 September, 2012, 01:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlpineNewt

Hi everyone,

Way back in the late eighties - or thereabout - I picked up a stack of Strontium Dog comics at a car boot sale. Thinking back they seemed to be in am American style format with each issue longer than a prog length episode. The story seemed to be about Johnny and Wulf being framed for murdering the S.D controller and being on the run from the rest of the S.Ds, most notably the Stix brothers.

Does anyone know if these have been reprinted anywhere? I would love to read that story again but I fear they fell victim to my mother's comic purge of '98 and google has been no help so far.

Anyway, that got me started on the prog (and away from the ridiculous war comics of the time) and also began my life long love of science fiction.

- Alpine-Noob :D

Leigh S

The story is called Outlaw, and is reprinted in the Strontium Dog Agency Files number 2 (though you may as well pick up number 1 and beyond while you're at it!)

Available in all good bookstores and a great read - 2 is very good, starting as it does with Alphas origin story (introducing his father Nelson Bunker Kreelman) and ending with Outlaw that revisits a lot of the characters from said classic

Cursed Earth Dweller

May I add that your best bet would be amazon or ebay if you can't find the Agency Files in any local comic stores.

And I second that motion to start with volume 1 which has an awesome story in which [spoiler]Johnny and Wulf travel back in time to bring in Adolf Hitler for trial(this story is also kind of a prelude to Outlaw)[/spoiler]

AlpineNewt

Thank you both,

So it follows straight on from what is reprinted in 'Portrait of a Mutant"? Looks like I read them in the wrong order then.

Thanks again.

Leigh S

Volume 2 of the Agency Files starts with flashback origina story "Portrait of a mutant", then has a good few classics "Kid Knee Caper", "The Killing", "The Moses Incident" before "Outlaw" kicks in...

Its a good introduction, though as pointed out, the Stix Brothers, erm, brother appears in Vol 1, along with a lot of other classic stories, such as the bonkers "Journey Into Hell".

AlpineNewt

The name "Kid Knee Caper" sparked something in my memory, "The Sad Case":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/comics/2000adstrips/strontiumdog/strontiumdog01.shtml

Been on the BBC site since 2005 would you believe!