Main Menu

Joe Stepped Off The Train: and other stories - A Book for Charity

Started by The Legendary Shark, 11 March, 2016, 11:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Hi all. I have a story in the following anthology, which is at present available for pre-order on Amazon UK and Amazon US. (Paperback, £7.99/$11.50) (E-book versions are also in the pipeline, provisionally priced at £2.99. I'll add those details as I get them.) All authors' royalties, £2.19 per copy, go to War Child,  the charity for children affected by war.

From the introduction to the book:

"War Child aims to provide sustainable, intensive support to the most marginalised and vulnerable children and young people in conflict-affected parts of the world — not just providing aid but strengthening the capacity of the families, communities and authorities to look after their own children.

"Their projects are all rooted in local communities: involving and employing local people. For example, their child protection committees bring together local councillors, policemen, teachers, tribal elders etc. to train them to take responsibility for identifying and protecting vulnerable children in their communities. The best kind of project is one that will be continued by local people afterwards.

"Education is a big focus in the majority of War Child's projects because in countries affected by conflict an education is not only life-changing (giving a child basic literacy skills opens up all sorts of opportunities), but can also be life-saving (teaching a child how to avoid land-mines). It is not just about getting children into schools (which during conflict can sometimes be unsafe), but enabling them to learn, whatever their circumstances and environment. This includes things like providing informal education and training programmes; for example, for children who can't travel into school during times of violence or those who have been pulled into the violence themselves as child-soldiers and need to catch-up on their lost education or learn a vocation."

The anthology is a collection of short stories about war by several authors. I will bump this thread as and when the hard/digital copies are uploaded in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for reading, and please feel free to publicise this book.

Mark Howard.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Buttonman

Well done Sharky - pre-ordered my copy and not just because you took a dive in the writing comp!

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, chaps, most kind :)

Anyone with a review site, if you're interested in reviewing this please p.m. me and I'll see about sending you a pdf copy.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

This book is now available in paperback (£7.99) and for Kindle (£2.99) from Amazon.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Buttonman

Got mine - many thanks. Next up after 'A Soldier's Story' which is quite good - like Rogue Trooper with bandages and bicycles doing the narration.

The Legendary Shark

Good to hear, BM, thanks. My story's called Nintendo Warrior and is, >gasp<, a bit weird!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

£748.06p raised so far!

Thanks to everyone who's contributed by buying a copy - I love you all.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Buttonman

The Legendary Shark

Cool, thanks BM - mine's been panned a bit for not being about "proper" war. Still, at least that means it's standing out!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Buttonman

I think by dealing with drone warfare you are up to date and make some good points about the dehumanizing effect of a remote controlled war.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]