Main Menu

Objet de désir

Started by Link Prime, 27 September, 2018, 12:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Now I've hit my 40's I find I'm starting to curb my nerdy ways.
The monthly comic pull list is a shell of its former glut.
No longer is a TV show or film given the benefit of the doubt simply because of the genre.
The Loot Crate subscription has long been cancelled.
Video game 'day one' purchases are no longer a concern at all.

No doubt finances are a factor here (I will be paying two mortgages until at least early 2019), but definitely a change in attitude too.

And yet. And yet.
There is a certain compulsion that draws me towards random purchases of otherwise useless tat.
It may end up gathering dust on a shelf. It may end up in a drawer, but Grud help me- I have to have it.

Anyone else afflicted by this seemingly intermittent bout of pure madness?

Recent items on my list of curios:

- Playmobil 'Stay Puft Marshmallow Man'. Status: Purchased. Already in a drawer.
- Lego City Pizza Van. Status: Purchased. Built, but already packed away with Lego collection.
- 'Twinkie the Kid' Funko Pop. Status: Ordered from Zavvi.
- Garbage Pail Kids "Oh the Horror-ible" card set. Status: Purchased on Ebay and in the post. NB- Postage was twice the cost of the cards.
- Super Mario Brothers pajamas by Pennys. Status: worn to bed last night.
- Classic Twilight Zone (black and white) action figures. Status: Looking online for a price that will allow me to sleep at night.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 September, 2018, 12:42:55 PM

I just subscribed to that Warhammer Conquest magazine, and it's bloody weekly. I don't even have a sub for the Prog. Or a proper job.

This insanity is apparently inherited from my father: recent visit to his attic revealed entire runs of tank, plane and battleship partworks,  all still in the packaging.

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 September, 2018, 01:02:23 PM

I just subscribed to that Warhammer Conquest magazine, and it's bloody weekly. I don't even have a sub for the Prog. Or a proper job.

This insanity is apparently inherited from my father: recent visit to his attic revealed entire runs of tank, plane and battleship partworks,  all still in the packaging.

I almost got sucked into that one TB.......picked up the first 3 issues (in fact, several issue 1's) and i'm happily painting ultra marines, but at £8 a pop for another 77 weeks.....well, my marines had to fall back to a safe distance!

TordelBack

Doubt I'll be able to last the full course,  but I've assembled and painted more minis this past month than anytime in the past 30 years,  so I wasn't prepared to stop for a couple of months yet!  There's something freeing about the weekly schedule, and the fact I don't really care about 40K - I'm actively looking forward to a second crack at Plague Marines in a few weeks.

SIP

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 September, 2018, 03:07:05 PM
Doubt I'll be able to last the full course,  but I've assembled and painted more minis this past month than anytime in the past 30 years,  so I wasn't prepared to stop for a couple of months yet!  There's something freeing about the weekly schedule, and the fact I don't really care about 40K - I'm actively looking forward to a second crack at Plague Marines in a few weeks.

I'm much the same....just enjoying doing some painting to be honest, seeing if I can get better on each subsequent marine. It's been fun.

When I finish one, it gets passed on to my son to gather dust......then on with the next! When I'm happy with one, I'll keep it.

Until that day (that will never come).......onwards!

von Boom

Ab-so-bloody-lutely.

I recently spent over £100 on a board game I really can't get enough people to play.

I can't walk into a bookshop without coming out with something. I have too many books as is.

I have a horrible affliction of buying minis I don't even have games for.  ::)

sheridan

Quote from: von Boom on 27 September, 2018, 04:05:10 PM

Ab-so-bloody-lutely.

I recently spent over £100 on a board game I really can't get enough people to play.

I can't walk into a bookshop without coming out with something. I have too many books as is.

Which game?

von Boom

Quote from: sheridan on 27 September, 2018, 05:05:25 PM

Ab-so-bloody-lutely.

Which game?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: von Boom on 27 September, 2018, 06:19:38 PM

Ab-so-bloody-lutely.

Which game?

Kin I play pa?
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I've the habit of buying stuff for my kids. (Doom board game, Starcraft Risk).

I have made a conscious effort to buy less stuff. It's like eating sweets. The craving doesn't go away, but if you skip one, then your butterfly attention flits to the next.
Lock up your spoons!

von Boom

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 September, 2018, 08:50:21 PM

Ab-so-bloody-lutely.

Which game?

Kin I play pa?
Soon as I get the wheel on my bike fixed, I'll be round.

SIP

Ab-so-bloody-lutely.

Which game?

Ha ha.....almost bought that myself yesterday in Forbidden Planet!

sheridan

Ab-so-bloody-lutely.

I have a horrible affliction of buying minis I don't even have games for.  :rolleyes:

Which game?

£100 well spent!

Where do you live that you have difficulty finding people to play such a wonder?

Fungus

Quote from: von Boom on 27 September, 2018, 08:56:03 PM
Soon as I get the wheel on my bike fixed, I'll be round.

As will the wheel...

Can't really relate to the nerdy ways (or curse of completism), glad to say.
But do still buy books faster than I read them. I've come to terms with that one now. Anyone who doesn't is just weird.

Trout

So many books. So, so many unread books.

Also Batgirl in Lego form. My kids got the discarded minifigs created by my search for plastic variations on Babs.