Main Menu

Recent posts

Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by AlanSGMSimpson - Today at 01:42:54 PM
Hi, long time loiterer with heaving shelves with these and the Dredd collection. I was getting slightly worried that we didn't have some of the pre-spine extension books (Hachette are normally not bad for tidying up loose ends like that to let folk step off) but I note volume 142 is seemingly Savage: The Marze Murderer (out on 19th June) while still nothing for vols 146 or 148? I see the usually semi-reliable Wiki page claims the current run is for 200 volumes but couldn't see a source for the same.
Prog / Re: Prog 2381: A grizzly fate
Last post by AlexF - Today at 01:09:14 PM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 12 May, 2024, 07:23:04 AMFolded into this was a future scape not a million miles removed from where we are today.  You only have to look at some of the debates around crime in major cities across the UK and US (amongst other nations) to see how prescient the concept actually was.

I'mn intrigued by this. As I understand it, in the US and UK violent crime, at least, has MASSIVELY gone down in the lifetime of the existence of 'Judge Dredd' the comic strip. Whether this is due to increased powers that police/justice system has I don't know, but I doubt it? Don't think that's an argument people make?

Possibly there's a link in that crime has gone down as surveillance has massively gone up - CCTV cameras so normal we don't even notice them, and so on. So basically, Wagner's idea of PSU is connected to real-world crime stats, but otherwise for me Judge Dredd is more about pursuing a Conservative's dream about what law-enforcement might look like, not one based on actually observing the world...

I should note, I have not (yet) read Molch-R's book on the subject, so I'm sure I'm missing lots of important facts and insights!
Film & TV / Re: New Doctor Who series
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 12:48:06 PM
Context is everything. Christmas: lots of people were excited about the refresh of the show, and it was aired on Christmas Day, when families are together and probably fancied something fun to watch. This Saturday was a new series, sure, but not the debut for the new Doctor, and the weather was astonishingly good for the time of year.

I'm sure we'll know more in the long run. Although there is a sense that RTD can do no wrong, and that may counter anything that does turn out to be a negative, to some degree. (Honestly, I wasn't overly thrilled by his return, given all the shit that went on during Eccleston's run, and also on the basis of the manner in which he writes. But it is what it is.)
Last post by judgeurko - Today at 12:38:38 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on Today at 11:07:02 AMThe ratings are broadcast. They don't include people watching on iPlayer, which may well be a significant number when factored in. And I suspect the numbers on Disney+ will be more important in the long run.

That said, I'm unsure whether these are the episodes to get people on board. I can imagine a lot of "what the fuck was that?" And the horribly messy way in which we transitioned from 13 to 15 hasn't helped. A clean break and starting completely afresh would have made more sense, but there you go. It's not like the show has ever made a lot of sense. It's always been messy to some degree.
True but previous overnight ratings have been a lot higher before taking into account iPlayer. I agree these episodes seem a strange way of getting new viewers into the show.
Last post by judgeurko - Today at 12:36:05 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on Today at 11:09:57 AM
Quote from: judgeurko on Today at 10:35:29 AMOnly a couple million. The general audience don't care anymore.

There's no way to infer that from the viewing figures. Those numbers don't include iPlayer or Disney+ — if the show is being more directly and firmly targetted at a younger audience, kids really don't watch live TV any more.

[EDIT: Ninja-ed by IP.]
I guess. But the xmas special got about twice as much. There was a drop in viewers from episode 1 to 2. If this had been the first episode of the Chibnall era so many 'fans' would have been saying how it has failed. But I think RTD will probably get a Get Out Of Jail Free card. & the first episode of the 13th Doctor's series got about 8 million views, have viewing habits changed so much in a relatively short time?. The UK midnight release on iPlayer has impacted on the viewing figures I think. Will be interesting to see a total once those are collated.
Prog / Re: Prog 2382: Beware Iron Tee...
Last post by Barrington Boots - Today at 12:19:11 PM
Good shout on Iron Teeth initialising as IT!
Also agree on Jake Lynch's work on Vex. It's fantastic. This thrill feels like a genuine top-tier banger that should be up there with Thargs best.

Saturday Prog for me, a rare delight!

Dredd didn't have much here to engage me tbh, but lets see where it goes.

Aquila wraps up well and with a surprisingly merciful act. This series has felt a bit like two Aquila series compressed into one in places - a couple of characters and events have not had perhaps the impact they might have - but equally I've enjoyed the pace and the story very much, especially when things haven't been resolved by hack and slash as per the last two weeks, so I wouldn't change anything. Series finale coming up and I'm looking forward to that, especially as I have no idea how it will end.

Intestinauts is always welcome back imo. Lovely artwork and an interesting final page.

Very strong Brink this week.

Proteus Vex really great this week too. The reveal on the Flesh Pilot had me delighted, and then the second reveal on the final page (we didn't know that, did we?) just elevates things even more. Absolutely love this strip.

Brink and Vex in one Prog is superlative stuff. Great issue.
Last post by Vector14 - Today at 12:02:15 PM
Same here, our kids introduction to TV came via streaming services. No going back to live now.

Only thing I watch on broadcast TV is live sports too.

Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 11:34:58 AM
Quotekids really don't watch live TV any more
Can confirm, at least in this household. I think the last thing we watched live with our 9yo was the women's World Cup final last summer. She these days watches a lot on iPlayer, but nothing live. She wants to watch things when she wants to watch them. TBF, so do we. Even with the very rare 'live' TV we watch (mostly things like Sewing Bee), we watch on iPlayer.
Last post by Jim_Campbell - Today at 11:09:57 AM
Quote from: judgeurko on Today at 10:35:29 AMOnly a couple million. The general audience don't care anymore.

There's no way to infer that from the viewing figures. Those numbers don't include iPlayer or Disney+ — if the show is being more directly and firmly targetted at a younger audience, kids really don't watch live TV any more.

[EDIT: Ninja-ed by IP.]
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 11:07:02 AM
The ratings are broadcast. They don't include people watching on iPlayer, which may well be a significant number when factored in. And I suspect the numbers on Disney+ will be more important in the long run.

That said, I'm unsure whether these are the episodes to get people on board. I can imagine a lot of "what the fuck was that?" And the horribly messy way in which we transitioned from 13 to 15 hasn't helped. A clean break and starting completely afresh would have made more sense, but there you go. It's not like the show has ever made a lot of sense. It's always been messy to some degree.