Main Menu

The Joker

Started by Link Prime, 04 April, 2019, 02:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 April, 2019, 01:25:49 PM

More accurately, in Killing Joke it was the Joker's proposition that anyone exposed to a series of devastating personal experiences would go mad, that the entire world is just "one bad day" away from being the Joker. Crucially, what Killing Joke has and this movie appears not to have is the counterpoint of Jim Gordon, who disproves the Joker's contention by not going mad.

The Joker's insane - doesn't that invalidate his argument or the necessity for a counterpoint?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 April, 2019, 02:47:36 PM
The Joker's insane - doesn't that invalidate his argument or the necessity for a counterpoint?

The number of people who think that Rorschach is the hero of Watchmen, or that Judge Dredd is a good model for law enforcement suggests to me that one should never underestimate an audience's capacity for missing the point.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Reported to Judge Pal.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 April, 2019, 02:50:11 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 10 April, 2019, 02:47:36 PM

The number of people who think that Rorschach is the hero of Watchmen, or that Judge Dredd is a good model for law enforcement suggests to me that one should never underestimate an audience's capacity for missing the point.

It's not that they think they are the hero. It's that they want them characters to be the hero. Different thing altogether.
They know what they are doing is morally wrong but they like it. It's a catharsis.
We all want to punish the rude dickheads in life but these characters do it giving the reader an escape.
In my opinion.
I don't think they have missed the point at all.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 April, 2019, 05:02:44 PM

I assure you that there is a non-trivial chunk of internet comic fans that has very much missed the point of Dredd, at least.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 April, 2019, 02:50:11 PM

The number of people who think that Rorschach is the hero of Watchmen...

The older I get...

Quote...or that Judge Dredd is a good model for law enforcement...

The older I get...

Quote...suggests to me that one should never underestimate an audience's capacity for missing the point.

Any discussion forum, on any subject, will teach you that.

Regards,

Robin

Mattofthespurs

It must be small, surely?

Robin Low

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 April, 2019, 05:40:08 PM
It must be small, surely?

There's no need to get personal.

Regards,

Robin

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 April, 2019, 05:13:19 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 10 April, 2019, 05:02:44 PM

I assure you that there is a non-trivial chunk of internet comic fans that has very much missed the point of Dredd, at least.

The 20th July 2012 Colorado shooting was nearly 7 years ago. And yet as far as the collective Internets abilities to recall, it never happened. There really are nutters out there utilising their fictional idols to justify their warped world views.

Mattofthespurs

Link Prime

"The Joker takes home top prize at Venice film festival". WTF?
I was anticipating something a little more adult and interesting than the usual popcorn super-heroics, but this is starting to sound like it might be different beast altogether.
Roll on October 4th.

Tiplodocus

That last trailer took me from WTF? to "must see".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"