Main Menu

A sense of Loss - Freakish?

Started by CraveNoir, 18 June, 2004, 06:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

I've realised tonight that I seem to remember everything I've ever lost. And so I present...

Everything I Have Ever Lost

1) A die-cast dump truck when I was 3 or 4. I accidentally brought home the nursery school's toy truck instead of my own. I swapped them the next day, but the fact that this is the only thing I can recall from my time at nursery is interesting.

2) A toy F1 car I swapped with an older friend when I was about 8. I think he got the better deal.

3) A luminous cutlass for a ghostly pirate action figure. I think it must've slipped down the back seat of my dad's Cortina.

3) A ?5 note lost in Brum in my early teens.

4) A box containing every issue of DC's Superheroes comic, and two Not the 9-o'clock News books that my mum threw out in a misunderstanding about which boxes to throw out! Happily, many years later I managed to replace the comics.

5) A load of Marvel comics (Super-Adventure, Spider-Man, Rampage, Kung-Fu/Death-fist? etc) I agreed to sell to a kid at school who never got around to paying me. Fucker!

6) A necklace with a cross pendant that changed colour with your body heat. It was the 80s!

7) ?1 I lent to a friend while performing at the Edinburgh Festival, and never saw again.

8) Part of the facia of a Walkman on a college coach trip to London.

9) A Wrestlemania 10 video I lent to a friend, and never saw again.

10) A pair of sunglasses in their case that I left on a BA plane coming back from LA.

11) A ?20 note which today I either lost or was short-changed. Not amused!

Since I expect there to be a lot of 'collector' mentality types around here, does anyone else harbour a sense of loss for misplaced possessions? Or am I simply odd?

Noisybast

Not at all. You are, however, very lucky if that's everything you've ever lost. I lose that amount of stuff most weeks.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

CraveNoir

Whoopie!!!!!!!

I just found that ?20. Deep joy. I could weep.

It occurs to me that trying to regain or replace lost items from the past (without spending any money) would be a good Dave Gorman type show.

Oddboy

With only 11 items on your list (some of which you've since found/replaced anyway) I'd say you're either very lucky - or you *have* forgotten some of the things you've lost.

How about that red biro?
The pad of post-it notes?
A missing sock from a pair?
Half a pint of beer, left unattended for only a minute?
Better set your phaser to stun.

CraveNoir

Can't recall losing any socks, but I think I lost a shoe on a bus coming home from school once. I was wearing high heels, and one of my normal school shoes must've fallen out of my rucksack. No, I'm not going to explain. It counts as school uniform though, and not something precious to me. I can't even remember what kind of shoe it was.

Like everyone I've lost little things like buttons, and small change. I'm talking about the stuff that I still pops into my mind from time to time.

Something Else I've Lost:

7b) In '89 I was in a college production of Chicago, and left a tatty old wallet which used to belong to my grandfather in a suit which was returned to the theatre it was hired from. If it had been important I could've probably tracked it down.

Queen Firey-Bou

holy moly, like pat, i loose that much every week, not to mention all the people ive lost over my lifetime so far, or the homes...

or my main current irk, is the amount of stuff per week that gets broke, wrecked , trashed, lost by the kids n dogs, mostly the eldest. Id be better listing things that are still in one peice... ive had my 'new' car for 2.5 weeks now & no-ones danaged it yet, excellent !

i like collecting yes, but i save my sense of loss for things like, emotions, people, opportunities, youth. Objects arent ours, we only borrow in life.

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Max Kon

carnivore is a girl?!?!?! or a transvestite

petemaskreplica

"trashed, lost by the kids n dogs, mostly the eldest"

Is that the eldest dog or the eldest juve? ;)