Main Menu

Prog FCBD 2012

Started by BPP, 04 May, 2012, 11:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Ewing

Sob! Left the house too late and missed everything.

I'm at Bristol next week, so if anyone wants to bring a copy for me to sign, don't be offended if I sit and read through the Dredd first.

(And also your copy of Dinosaurs vs Aliens.)
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

BPP

You've missed the point Al, as a creator you were meant to give yourself free. Didn't you see the queue of nubile young maidens behind you?
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Pioneer

Just arrived home after picking up, the shelf was bare but the guy in the shop had some behind the counter so could only get one copy. Sorry guys, did say he would be getting more in next week so will try again in a few days if you don't get any luck elsewhere.

TordelBack

Bah, tram took forever.  All I got my mits on were New 52 and Spiderman, and I even felt guilty about them as there were only a few left and a mess of hopeful-looking brats children came in as I was leaving.  Should have left them to it, as on reading neither were really suitable for my kids.  The Spidey was an extract from yet another of these misguided mind-numbingly boring Season 1 efforts (pages of things that, might I add, did not actually feature a costumed Spiderman), but surpisiingly the New 52 one was actually a pretty good read and has made me interested in Earth 2 and Earth's Finest, which looked good.  Tell me this, oh DC nerds*, has the Phantom Stranger always been [spoiler]Judas Iscariot[/spoiler] and has Huntress always been [spoiler]Batman's daughter from another universe[/spoiler], or are these reboot developments? 

Happy to report that both FP and Sub-City were jumping, so I suppose that's job jobbed. By way of compensation/guilt assuaging, I picked up Fury Max No. 1.  Great stuff - I think Ennis has struck gold here.  An unageing cynical soldier who serves in various frontline/intelligence roles in every war from WWII to the present?  The pre-Vietnam stuff is fascinating if riddled with Ennisisms, and this could be a fantastic vehicle for all his favourite tropes, with the added benefit of a Marvel-size audience.  Will keep an eye on this one.

*Colin, basically.

Emperor

Quote from: Al_Ewing on 05 May, 2012, 05:16:05 PM
Sob! Left the house too late and missed everything.

I'm at Bristol next week, so if anyone wants to bring a copy for me to sign, don't be offended if I sit and read through the Dredd first.

(And also your copy of Dinosaurs vs Aliens.)

But you're in it!!

You should have gone to to your local comic shop and held an impromptu signing bagging a copy for yourself an ageing relative whose heart would be filled with joy by this simple gift.

Quote from: blixab on 05 May, 2012, 12:20:14 PM
There's quite a few on EBay at present which is basically the P&P cost.

Just got a couple sent through by "A place in space" in Croydon for 99p each

About to devour it so must go!!

My APiS order turned up today too, I've just not had any time to get stuck into them yet. :)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

WhitBloke

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 May, 2012, 05:51:00 PM
Tell me this, oh DC nerds*, has the Phantom Stranger always been [spoiler]Judas Iscariot[/spoiler] and has Huntress always been [spoiler]Batman's daughter from another universe[/spoiler], or are these reboot developments? 

I can't say much for recent DC stuff since I've given up on them entirely at least until they reboot again.  (Which will probably be sometime next Friday.)
I don't think I have it anymore but I do remember a Secret Origins Phantom Stranger issue in which four different versions of that enigmatic character's origin were put back to back.  I think the [spoiler]Judas Iscariot [/spoiler] version was written by that beardy bloke what did Watchmen (a modestly popular strip, I hear) and maybe some 2000AD strips, if I remember rightly
This was around the time of pre-Vertigo DC, I think.  Around the time of Crisis On Infinite Earths, so I guess it was '85.  It was either Moore showing him as having been [spoiler]Judas or as the Wandering Jew[/spoiler], bad memory serving, but I think I'm right that it was in that comic that the [spoiler]Judas Iscariot[/spoiler] origin first cropped up.
I expect somebody more informed will be able to give you a fuller accounting of the whole thing, and current status, but... yeah...  that's all I've got.  A comic Alan Moore wrote some stuff in plays a key part.  I think.

As for the Huntress, her origin [spoiler]as Batman's daughter[/spoiler] dates back to pre-Crisis DC Continuity, back when there was the original Earth-1 and Earth-2.  She came from Earth-2, [spoiler]the daughter of that world's Batman and Catwoman[/spoiler].  This is the world in which [spoiler]Batman eventually retired after being active since 1939 and, I think, became commissioner or mayor of Gotham[/spoiler].  I have some of these comics still but, frankly, I'm going by memory in stating that this character (this version of the character) was active at least in the 1970s through to her last appearance in Crisis On Infinite Earths, often teaming up with an adult Earth-2 Robin (an ambassador during the day, I think!) and the rest of the Justice Society of America - who were as much family friends as super-colleagues given her Bat-Dad had been a member back in the day.  Before that, I don't know, but it might be worth bearing in mind that Earth-2 stuff was far less prominently published by DC at the time than the Earth-1 stuff that was their mainstay default universe.  The annual Justice Society/Justice League stories were a regular inter-dimensional crossover but Earth-2 wasn't especially frequently visited, though a couple of second-tier titles maintained that universe's stories.  And then Crisis ended all that for quite some years to come.
Another post-Crisis purple-and-black clad Gotham superheroine Huntress was [spoiler]decidedly not Batman's daughter[/spoiler], showing up in Grant Morrison's run on JLA in the early 2000s for a while as well as her own title.  So, it sounds like the Huntress you ran into is perhaps more of a reboot-reversion character.  I'm almost tempted to have a look-see at some of those new DC titles.  Almost.

But others* are likely better qualified to fill you in less flakily.
*Colin, basically

Quote from: Somebody with far less flake between their ears...
WhitBloke, you berk, just go on Ebay and get one.

Quite right!  (Duh!)
So this is der place then, Johnny?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Emperor on 04 May, 2012, 10:16:09 PMNot a glowing review from BC:
Mm, but then they also gave Transformers 80.5 9/10, so they clearly know piss-all. (Note that I'm saying this both having actually read TF 80.5 and as a fan of the original comic, to the level that I have all of the Titan trades.)

vzzbux

Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

COMMANDO FORCES

I can't believe people are actually asking for money for these. When anyone asked me for a copy I sent it for free, as first class was only £1.20 (second was £1.10). Let me make it clear, I paid for my progs in advance (so as not to have the comic shop owner being out of pocket) just in case people think I just walked into the shop and took the lot.

Colin YNWA

Oh damnit I'm about to lose all my DC nerd credentials here but while I knew all the Huntress stuff WhitBloke has already said all I could have and more... and as for the Phantom stranger Judus stuff... well errr... who knew... well Whitbloke it would seem. All I had was he has a number of origins I think in an attempt to make him all mysterious and stranger like, all of which should be treated as apocryphal (and I had to look up how to spell that too). So, well and truly beaten on that one.

All I can add in the Nu52 Huntress will once again be from Earth 2 but seems to have been transported to Earth 0 (is it still Earth 0... more credentials out the window there) with Power Girl. But I've not been to my Nerd shop yet so haven't picked up the earth 2 issues yet...

... really lets get back on topic... ahem...

Colin YNWA

And of course I was arrogantly assuming the 'Colin' in question was me and not Colin Zeal or any other poor bugger who happens to be saddled with that name (I should be glad to have it until the doctor confirmed that I was a boy to my unbelieving parents after my birth I was called Helen and nowt was going to change that... true story.)

Or Colin MacNeil...

vzzbux

I hope no one thinks I am getting at anyone on the forum (unless you are said seller).
Just the guy who is selling the lot on E-Bay. He has sold 22 already and still has more than 10 for sale.
To me that smacks of supplier keeping what he knows will be profitable to him and totally ignoring what FCBD is all about.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Emperor

If people are still looking I did a quick check an A Place in Space seem to have found 3 more for 99p:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FREE-COMIC-BOOK-DAY-2012-2000AD-JUDGE-DREDD-SPECIAL-/380436553474

No I don't get a cut from them for this ;) they just happen to be the only other seller on there with them at the moment.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Robo-K33F

I will be bringing some copies of the 5/10 Progs to Kapow - available from the 2000 AD booth while stocks last.