Main Menu

Achewood

Started by Aonghus, 06 October, 2012, 12:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aonghus

Are any of you lot fans of Achewood? It's a webcomic (www.achewood.com) that's not been updated in about a year, and is substantially different fodder to what's usually read and discussed around here, but I have an abiding love for it.

For those who don't know, it's a story about a bunch of cats, a retarded otter, two bears, and a drunken tiger, and their dysfunctions. The humour is odd yet incredible, the writing is idiomatic and addictive, and once you get into it, the story arcs are not only excellently written, but also so beautifully integrated that it's hard to believe that one man wrote it all, not to mention 7 in-character blogs, a cookbook, and in-universe 'zines.

Discuss here.

Al_Ewing

I love Achewood! It's one of my favourite webcomics, and it's a real shame it's become so irregular. Part of me now wonders if Cornelius and Beef are ever going to get out of that car.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Aonghus

Quote from: Al_Ewing on 06 October, 2012, 01:12:52 AM
I love Achewood! It's one of my favourite webcomics, and it's a real shame it's become so irregular. Part of me now wonders if Cornelius and Beef are ever going to get out of that car.

Delighted to hear you approve! In a way I'm more eager to see Ray trade n Grover Cleveland for a decent shave though. And I odn't know about you, but the Honour System Shop has become a boon to me; Onstad may not be updating, but it's great to get all this extra content that I missed out on the first time round. Not to mention that the Cookbook also resolved one or two culinary questions that've plagued me for ages...

Goosegash

God, Achewood was brilliant for a while there. The cast of characters were extraordinarily well developed, and Chris Onstad has a knack for idiosyncratic speech rhythms that feels like something completely unique in humour terms. At it's height the tone could shift effortlessly between humour, pathos, surrealism at the drop of a hat, and it did it all really well. Here's a few favourites of mine:

Ray meets Charlie Brown
Oregon Trail
The Cartilage Head arc

Unfortunately it seems like a combination of creative burnout and messy real life issues led it to all falling apart a couple of years ago, in the middle of a really long story involving Teodor being abducted by Nice Pete and Ray calling David Lynch to come and save the day.

The comic actually started again this year after an extended hiatus, but after the initial flurry of activity, updates have gradually trickled down to nothing again. I'd understand totally if Onstad just wanted to end it - he has a respectable career as a food critic now and presumably doesn't need funny animal comics to provide his only living - but he seems determined to keep it half-alive despite having lost interest in producing new content.

Aonghus

Agreed Goosegash, at its height it was a thing of beauty.

I reread the last two years' worth of strips last night actually (not hard, there's maybe 20) and Ray's detox arc actually had some of the most ominous alienating writing I've seen in Achewood- I really felt it was regaining its old momentum, albeit in a more ominous vein, so it broke my heart to see it peter out. Makes you wonder what Onstad's going through... (does he suffer from depression, does anyone know, or am I confusing him swith someone else?)

Goosegash

Quote from: Aonghus on 06 October, 2012, 05:11:32 PM
Agreed Goosegash, at its height it was a thing of beauty.

I reread the last two years' worth of strips last night actually (not hard, there's maybe 20) and Ray's detox arc actually had some of the most ominous alienating writing I've seen in Achewood- I really felt it was regaining its old momentum, albeit in a more ominous vein, so it broke my heart to see it peter out. Makes you wonder what Onstad's going through... (does he suffer from depression, does anyone know, or am I confusing him swith someone else?)

Yeah, I think he has talked about depression affecting his ability to work - seems Roast Beef is very much his avatar in that respect. Also I understand in the last couple of years he's become separated from his wife and daughter, so he can't have been having the best of times.

Aonghus

Man, that explains a lot alright. That's terrible to become seperated from your family too, poor guy. I wonder

Oh well, at least we'll always have the Great Outdoor Fight.

Mikey

Ahem...

[spoiler]Shivering anus![/spoiler]

I discovered Achewood last year - well, me Mrs did - whilst visiting that there New York. It's magnificent stuff, I've got three collected books on my shelf and the text story of how they all got together is genius!

A couple of personal faves that always makes me chuckle:

Jack Daniels

Ketel One

I like ones not about drink too.

Lost cat pt1

Lost cat pt2

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Aonghus

Quote from: Mikey on 07 October, 2012, 04:45:49 PM
Ahem...

Man, I never knew that that was what that was! That's brilliant.

Beef's wedding was a high point for the strip I think- I love Iorwerth's fury here

Mikey

Quote from: Aonghus on 09 October, 2012, 02:15:44 AM
Quote from: Mikey on 07 October, 2012, 04:45:49 PM
Ahem...

Man, I never knew that that was what that was! That's brilliant.

Heh! Glad to be of service! The benefit of having the collected books...he revealed it due to popular demand. Soon as I saw that one I was hooked...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.