Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 May, 2022, 07:41:50 PM
The reason most Tories won't oust Johnson is because they don't believe there's anyone better as a replacement.

Yep. You only have to look at the shower of sycophantic cretins whose pictures appear next to the dictionary definition of "Dunning-Kruger Effect" that comprise the entire Tory front bench to see the fundamental problem here. In the past, even the Tories I'd thought of as fundamentally evil bastards were at least vaguely competent evil bastards... this lot, though...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Funt Solo on 24 May, 2022, 05:52:43 PM

I suppose Johnson thinks he's Winston Churchill...

To be fair, he has nailed the "Tory with a drinking problem" aspect
You may quote me on that.

Barrington Boots

Just reading the Gray report. I can't help but feel he's going to get away with it.

He'll never resign, no matter what: the rules simply don't apply to him. He'd need to be removed by his own party and as IP says, there's nobody seen as viable to replace him, because anyone competent has been removed and replaced with the current gaggle of yes-men and lunatics who comprise the current cabinet. I don't think they believe the likes of Hunt or Truss can win an election and they'd rather have Johnson squatting atop the party like some kind of malevolent toad whilst they hedge their bets that we'll all get distracted by something else.

The number of sycophants who are lining up to excuse him is unreal and stomach churning. I suspect if he was photographed in an act of necrophilia there'd still be Tories giving excuses: 'He just happen to fall on top of the body', 'he was only inside it for a second' and so on.

Blood-boilingly angry as it all is, there's serious repurcussions if this is all hand-waved away, because it sends out the message that you can basically get away with anything if your press is good: it opens the door to a much more Trump-ian style of politics. It's despair and rage in equal measure.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

sheridan

Quote from: Tjm86 on 24 May, 2022, 06:50:03 PM
Bigger problem is that far too many in British politics should never have run for office in the first place.  At the risk of lighting the blue touch paper Sharkey, the 650 'honourable' members of the House of Commons are the best argument I know for your way of thinking.  Less said about the 800 odd 'lords and ladies' in the other place.

There was a meme going around in the 2000s about a workplace that contained $however-many bankrupts, $however-many sex offenders (the list went on - you get the picture).  The punchline was that the workplace was Congress (or possibly the Senate or House of Representatives).  It'd be interesting to see how the numbers match up in the UK for Parliament.  And then compare them to similarly sized prisons - Dartmoor has 646 (roughly the size of the Commons), Brixton has 798 (Lords) and Birmingham has 1450 (both houses).

IndigoPrime

If nothing else, this is why we ideally need the polling to hold reasonably form, and for Lab/Lib to party like it's 1997. ~300 Labour MPs with confidence from ~30 Libs, in return for PR would be transformative. It would be extremely unlikely we'd end up with another shower like these odious toads, unless the entire country lurched very heavily towards the right.

But, yes, he'll get away with it. The report itself lays the foundations for that. He lied repeatedly in the Commons. His colleagues have lied repeatedly about what happened and what he was nicked for. And despite saying how humble and sorry he was, he used it as an opportunity to demand Starmer's resignation—which chunks of the press are calling for. (Starmer doesn't look to have broken any laws, of course; but even if he is judged to have done and falls on his sword, you can see that the response will be about how awful Labour is, and how the Tory leader didn't resign.)

Funt Solo

I expect he'll be quaffing champagne in celebration while Elsie, keeping warm in a bus, is driven past a few blocks away from Downing Street.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Sorry to double post, but this is one of those days where the news is all just too grim to read.

Here's a macaque to cheer us up:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Amber Heard and Johnny Depp's 'Trial by TikTok'

Well, that was disappointing. Spoilers: he gets $15million, she gets $2million.

I'd have awarded them each one dollar and told them they were both over-privileged prima donnas with substance abuse issues who have behaved appallingly to one another. Just ... no shame at all.

There's a temptation to give her the dollar and Depp nothing, purely on the basis that there's a misogynistic fervor online at the moment that are holding him up as some kind of ideal of manliness. He's a fucking car crash of a human. Get a grip, Internet. (Oh ... wait, my expectations are ridiculous.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Aye, I used to think Johnny Depp was a fairly cool fella but it would seem he's a bit of a gobshite. How big a gobshite we'll probably never know but he's definitely a bit of one. Hopefully the pair of them will fade into obscurity now this thing is over.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Are we absolutely sure the whole thing wasn't just a long form performance art piece?

In other news, the closing of food banks to celebrate the jubilee of a multi-millionaire who gets part of my paycheque every month is a perfect encapsulation of Britain in 2022.

Funt Solo

Well, at least the focus of this jubilee is a new Royal Charter to prevent child trafficking.

Wait - it's not?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Well, at least the focus of this jubilee is equal billing of all the Royals, regardless of perceived ethnicity.

Wait - it's not?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

disturbing to hear a little child on the news saying that the queen "has done a good job".

and macron has just called the queen "a source of great wisdom".

i bear no personal animosity towards this elderly woman (and i obviously have some sympathy towards her regarding the behaviour of her dysfunctional family). but what is this "job" i keep hearing about? hasn't she been paid a salary beyond anyone's dreams for the "job" of merely existing?

also, there have been too many articles in the guardian urging republicans to join in with the festivities.

sorry. i forgot.
i forgot that she was officially chosen by god.
my bad. rule britannia.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mister Pops on 02 June, 2022, 09:08:30 PM
Privatize the Monarchy!

Absolutely - the perfect meld of anarchy and capitalism. If you do want to donate some of your earnings to supporting them, then do it - if you don't, don't. Problem solved.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]