Main Menu

Custom 70's style comic rack

Started by Krakajac, 24 September, 2013, 11:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakajac

(Stay with me - there is a 2000AD connection!)

As a wee lad in the 70's, I remember buying comics from the corner-store (in New Zealand they were called 'Dairies').  The comics were displayed on spinner racks, such as this...

The comics were about 30 cents each.  :)

I've tried to acquire an original spinner rack for a while - but no luck here in Australia (you can still pick them up in the US though).  So I decided to make my own.  My rack doesn't spin like the originals - but it does the job!  The racks only cover three sides, so the whole unit can be positioned neatly up against a wall.  It can hold approximately 96 Marvel/DC-sized comics - of which I've filled about 50%.  I'll fill it up in time, no doubt.

Due to the dimensions, I couldn't really display any of my 2000AD issues - so I settled for a couple of Eagle Dredd's - the perfect size - and great Bolland covers to boot.

Here's some pics of the finished product.  I've concentrated mainly on Marvel/DC comics from the mid to late 70's, although there are a few exceptions here and there.  The idea was to emulate what I would have seen in the corner-store circa 1978!  Because the comics are old - they even have that musty smell about them.  :)

Hope the pics have induced some flash-backs to the olden days!  ;)

Dragonfly

Haven't seen comics in racks like these since the early eighties when Forbidden planet used to be in Denmark Street and was only a small store. I remember taking one out of the spinner rack to flick through it and when I tried to put it back I couldn't get it in without bending a corner back, and this was before comics were sold bagged.  Brings back memories, and I like the range of comics you have there, many I still own myself! I would love to have a collection on racks like that but I don't think the girlfriend would approve!

The Adventurer

I saw spinner racks around until the about late 90s, but they've pretty much gone the way of the dodo outside of a few still kicking around local comic shops.

Personally I've never been a fan of spinner racks for display. As gravity will inevitably bend your comics to hell and back across those metal rungs. But they sure are nostalgic.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Krakajac

"As gravity will inevitably bend your comics to hell and back across those metal rungs."

Perhaps with the original spinners, but not with mine.

Each of the 24 comics that rest against the 24 metal rungs are reinforced with a piece of sturdy cardboard placed just behind the front cover.  I've glued small squares of adhesive paper to each card - like 'post-it' notes - these help to keep the cover straight.  If I want to read an issue - it's simply a case of taking out the card and putting it back in when finished.

Dark Jimbo

Most Waterstones and other chain bookshops used to have most of their graphic novels displayed in spinner racks as recently as a few years ago. I think a few still do.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

You can normally get them from library suppliers but they do charge a lot for them.

Takes me back the first newsagent I went to when I first got into American comics had these things.

Recrewt

Great stuff Krakajac - that looks the biz and what a fantastic way to display your comics!  Reminds me of the old comic shops displays also.

SuperSurfer

I haven't seen spinning racks like that since I was in Orbital comics yesterday looking at the small press comics.

ROM in that bw 70s photo and then Human Fly in your photo. You call that wholesome?

Just joking Krakajac. Good stuff.