Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Will Cooling on 01 October, 2015, 12:29:52 PM
Of course the thing that is often ignored is that there is no country in a worse position to survive a nuclear war than Britain. Small, densely populated and large population centres in costal areas (Oh and we're right next to Russia).

Netherlands? Singapore? Bangladesh? Japan? Israel? Don't think the UK as a whole is even in the Top 50 Countries in the Worst Position To Survive a Nuclear War, never mind Britain.  It is however high in the Top 18 Countries Who Could Actively Participate in A Nuclear War.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Tordelback on 01 October, 2015, 01:06:13 PMNetherlands? Singapore? Bangladesh? Japan? Israel? Don't think the UK as a whole is even in the Top 50 Countries in the Worst Position To Survive a Nuclear War, never mind Britain.  It is however high in the Top 18 Countries Who Could Actively Participate in A Nuclear War.

Wouldn't a nuclear strike on The Netherlands go for the dykes and just submerge the whole country?

TordelBack

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 01 October, 2015, 07:03:36 PM
Wouldn't a nuclear strike on The Netherlands go for the dykes and just submerge the whole country?

Either you've been reading too much Apocalypse War or you're a raging homophobe. Which is better?  There's only one way to find out...

Hawkmumbler

If Greece where to be hit by a nuclear strike, would the national debt be dispersed to neighboring countries in a marble effect? Or does nonexistent money burn as well?

Old Tankie

No, but it would be a tragedy.

Professor Bear

Austerity has doubled the wealth of the 1% who own and run our countries, there's no way they'll pass on a chance to reintroduce or expand it whenever they can and I'd even suggest that it would be in their interest to cause a depression or set off a nuke somewhere - so I imagine we'd all have to chip in and pay for the humanitarian effort to clean up what's left of Greece, triggering Austerity Measures Mk2.  Naturally, the Tories will blame Labour for causing the attack.

The Legendary Shark

Yep, that's pretty much how it works. First we reduce a country's infrastructure to rubble on the pretext of it, for example, possessing WMDs, then we lend it lots and lots of money so it can afford to pay our contractors to put it all back together again. Sweet. Nukes aren't really any good for this because you need a few survivors to pay the debts.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

If they did blow the dykes in the Netherlands (oh er), you'd be fine after all you're an otter!! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JayzusB.Christ

In a nuclear strike on Europe, we'd ALL be a little 'otter.

Sorry, I'm leaving now
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

When I heard there'd been another school shooting in the US, I genuinely couldn't believe it - it's Friday again already?  Where did the week go?

TordelBack

Some of the witness vox-pop was deeply weird. When a student's first reaction to gunfire on a college campus is to wonder whether it's a low calibre weapon or using a suppressor you really have to question the culture. 

sheridan

Quote from: Tordelback on 02 October, 2015, 01:09:30 PM
Some of the witness vox-pop was deeply weird. When a student's first reaction to gunfire on a college campus is to wonder whether it's a low calibre weapon or using a suppressor you really have to question the culture.

Also, believed to be a copycat shooting, so let's give this one lots of publicity, shall we?

Richmond Clements

And then there the local Christian minister interviewed who said that - and I actually heard this on the radio - if the students had been armed, this wouldn't have happened... I cannot get my head around that at all...

JayzusB.Christ

I seem to remember that in Columbine, the students were armed.  They were the ones who did the killing.  Cracked did an interesting podcast about the American fascination with guns; it's here if anyone wants to listen. http://www.cracked.com/podcast/the-gun-show/
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 02 October, 2015, 02:00:00 PM
And then there the local Christian minister interviewed who said that - and I actually heard this on the radio - if the students had been armed, this wouldn't have happened... I cannot get my head around that at all...
When that cinema shooting happened, people said it would have been better had everyone been armed, ignoring what would have likely occurred had dozens of people been shooting in a dark cinema.