Main Menu

Prog 1807 - We love Gavin Leahy!

Started by Pete Wells, 27 October, 2012, 09:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

I'm going to go back and have a re-read too. Would anyone be kind enough to compile a complete reading list? I'm thinking the black ops stories that introduced Bachmann and any that contain that God city thing as I must admit I'm struggling a bit with that...  :-[

Steve Green

I think the first mention of the god city was in Si Spurriers Domino stories, although she's not re-appeared (yet)

2000 AD #1482

Judge Dredd Megazine #245 (I think that's the neo-cuba one)

Then there would be the Family Man story in the Megazine # 312 and 313

Not sure if there's any others.

Mikey

Absolutely fantastic cover - stark, brooding and eye catching. Lovely.

First of all, in a way I feel a bit sorry for Gavin Leahy as he got inna prog the week the rug was pulled. Not that much though -  WHAT A WEEK TO APPEAR IN! Congratulations Gav - your block on the page and a mention in the script!

I'll start with the others first; Brass Sun is continuing to be an absolute pleasure and a bit of a masterpiece if you ask me. It's been at or near the top of the thrill tree since it started for me, but this week I can only say it's fourth or fifth!

ABC Warriors is also a top thrill. I'm loving it and it feels like one of the most accomplished and enjoyable ABC outings for a while for me. Again it can only be fourth or fifth this week. Great stuff.

Now...the [spoiler]Judge Cold Simping Low Life Deck.[/spoiler]

Congatulations to the creators. Perfectly executed.

Tharg, I love you.

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

WhitBloke

I can't type any manner of rational 'review' for this thrillgasm of a Prog.  JOYOUS! goes some towards covering it, though.
I've been an absolute bliss-bag reading and re-reading it. 

ABC Warriors dipped, though... :(
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Pete Wells

Quote from: Steve Green on 28 October, 2012, 10:34:07 PM
I think the first mention of the god city was in Si Spurriers Domino stories, although she's not re-appeared (yet)
2000 AD #1482
Judge Dredd Megazine #245 (I think that's the neo-cuba one)
Then there would be the Family Man story in the Megazine # 312 and 313

Thanks Steve, my bedtime reading is sorted!

Pioneer

My copy arrived this morning, just read in my lunch break....

Absolutely amazing stuff! After jumping back on in 2008 buying GN's then subscribing to both comics in 2010 I have been on one long quest to collect everything Dreddverse I possibly can, and have been compiling a timeline for the order in which to read everything, starting with Case Files One.

The fact that a major Dredd story has linked into not one but two other spin off tales running at the same time is the sort of thing that puts a massive smile on the face of a continuity obsessed nerd like me!

Could this be the dawning of a new era where it could be common practice for a team of writers to work together on projects such as this? I for one sincerely hope so, as this issue has cemented the notion that subscribing (and rediscovering two years previous for that matter) has been one of the best moves I've made in recent years!

What with the recent film, DOC etc there has never been a better time to be a Dredd / 2000ad fan.

Pioneer

Edit : Even more impressive is reflecting on John Wagners Facebook post a few months ago, where he posted something along the lines of "... I'm interested to see what the other writers do with the pieces I've left them" in the wake of Day Of Chaos.

Ewing, Spurrier and Williams have stepped up to that challenge and then some!

Steve Green

I'd love to see interviews with those concerned once the story has run its course.

scrotnig

Wow...what an AWESOME piece of execution that was...truly stunning, and took me totally by surprise. How brilliant is it when any piece of fiction in any medium can actually surprise you in such a way? Fantastic.

Can't praise that enough, and after everything we've had in the past twelve month, to be able to pull off a surprise like that, and so masterfully done as well...words fail me this time.

Of course, with hindsight we should all have guessed something was coming...but I didn't.

A game-changing prog.

scrotnig

Oh and on top of that, to have all THAT going on in a prog, and then have the gumption not to put any of it on the cover!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: scrotnig on 29 October, 2012, 06:50:52 PM
Oh and on top of that, to have all THAT going on in a prog, and then have the gumption not to put any of it on the cover!

Yeah that's a very good point. A true example of something being done for story reasons not for marketing. The American big two so often claim that but I doubt they'd do something like this.

Mind having said that hope they play it for all their worth on the cover next week!

Kerrin

GRUD ON A GREENIE!!!

That was just unbelievable. It took me a good couple of minutes to twig what was going on in Simp then like some goldfish brained gump I was forced to emit an audible "F#ck!" at the relevent moment of awesomeness in Lowlife - it's a Monday, I feel it is unreasonable to expect me to be "on point" on a Monday.

BRAVO GREENBONCE!! And a resounding HOLY SH*T to the writers.

Off to read Brass Sun. I just felt I had to express my awe at the first three strips this week. I was already enjoying them but after that...well, shoot.

Dandontdare

I've just had a reread of the last few weeks, and I think I've figured out quite a bit of who's doing what and why, but one nagging question won't go away: [spoiler]Why did Dredd wait and let the list get transmitted? [/spoiler].

(Oh and one other question, whose obvious answer is PLOT DEVICE - ie [spoiler]why would an undercover judge whose undergone deep tissue body modification have a big Justice dept tattoo?  :lol:[/spoiler]

Dandontdare

dammit who's, not whose

Is there any rhyme or reason to the coming-and-going modify button or is it just random?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just noticed the tea dunking in low life! Dredd's mystery caller has more influence than I thought
Lock up your spoons!