Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Well i'll add to the chorus and list off my own pull list, been neglecting this wonderful thread for far too long...

Ongoing:
Savage Dragon
Paper Girls
Saga (Hiatus)
Cinema Purgatorio
LOEG: Tempest
Batman/Maxx
Go Bots
Usagi Yojimbo
Black Hammer
Mage
GI Joe - Sierra Muerta
Lone Ranger
2000AD
The Megazine
My Hero Academia
One Punch Man
The Promised Neverland
Dr. Stone
Black Clover

Trades:
Jojos Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Golden Kamuy
Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye/Lost Light
Antares

The Adventurer

I didn't even think to include the weekly manga I'm reading via VIZ Shonen Jump app (just $2 a month!)

Cause I'm reading a lot there too...

One Piece
My Hero Academia
Black Clover
The Promised Neverland
Dr. Stone
NeO;Lation
Hunter X Hunter (on hiatus)
Chainsaw Man
World Trigger (monthly)
Sereph of the End (monthly)
Blue Exorcist (monthly)
Dragon Ball Super (monthly)

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Rushed my list and forgot a lot of Jump titles! I'm currently playing an almost year catch up game on both Jump and 2000AD so a few things slipt my radar.

Colin YNWA

Its been a while folks. I don't seem to be as pulled to my LCS as I used to be. Mind looking at the haul this time there is no understandable reason why that should be. Comics are GREAT. No other medium with give me such brilliant, diverse imaginative tales and this folks is why I love comics right here.

Well not all of them. Criminal 3 should be but for whatever reason I'm just not feelin' this like I should. I suspect if my pull list wasn't dieing on the vine by itself this one would probably be on watch.

Two James Bond comics 005 and Origins7 these aren't brilliant but I'm enjoying them. Almost the opposite of above, these should be on watch as they ain't that good... but somehow it never occurs to me that I'm not going to find out what happens next so somethings working... damned if I know what?!?

Paper Girl 26
see this series start its last arc.... how the hoopin' heck is this going to get to an ending in just 4 more issues AND this issues sets up loads of interesting stuff.

Also returning is Lazarus with Risen 1 and as mentioned elsewhere on this glorious site its a bumper old beast. Great value even with a $7.99 and its fantastic to have this back. Speaking of back, speaking of back its GOON 1 YES- get that GOON 1 ... so good I said it AND bought it twice, couldn't resist that Kevin Nowlan cover.... love Goon, love Kevin Nowlan... and yes I'm cheating 'cos I only read this series on Digital a year or so back but still so happy to have this coming back to floppies as its brilliant. Its was brilliant then and this is as brilliant now... or even possibly more so. SOOOOO good... infact why isn't this book of the haul... cos it is book of the haul just I've got a cheap line for that later....

Few more number 1s Black Hammer '45 1 another great Black Hammer mini, I should hate Matt Kindt's art, especially here where it feels really out of place... but somehow it really works... go figure. Assassin Nation 1 - I came for Kyle Starks name and I'll be staying for Kyle Starks brilliant tales. Erica Henderson does some nice art too.

Two issues of Immortal Hulk 14 and 15 and both keep the standard, all be it I'm not Kyle Hotz biggest fan on issue 14, though he does some of his best work here. I just fine it too... liney and the darkness seems forced. That literally all you can fault here. Literate and entertaining and compelling.

Honest any number of comics could have been book of the haul here and Gunning for Hits 3 this comic is brilliant, absolutely brilliant from Jeff Rougvie's supreme insight into the 80s music business wrapped in a compulsive story to Moritat's effortlessly sinister artwork. Just comic perfection.

So why isn't this book of the Haul well cos just 5 pages of new The Maxx in the 100 page special is better than any other comic out there. Its just genius in a different level to anything else you can read...

... okay yeah cheap line The Goon 1 is really comic of the Haul BUT 5 pages of The Maxx does run it close...

Hawkmumbler

This weeks pulls...

Assassin Nation #2
Transformers #3
Golden Kamuy #9
Junji Ito's Smashed

Shonen Jump
2000AD

The Adventurer

This week...

SPIDER-MAN: LIFE STORY 02
ELECTRIC WARRIORS 06
CALAMITY KATE 02
NAOMI 04
EAST OF WEST 42
MAGE  BOOK 03 - THE HERO DENIED PART 2

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Arh - in my haste to tidy up the comics pile that sits in our living room, a sometimes heaving massive of new comics I'm waiting to cataglogue, bag and board, before they transcend to my nerd cave I sorted and elevated my latest haul before passin' comment here.

So that end I'm very quickly going to mention:

James Bond Origin 8 and James Bond 6 - both decent
Immortal Hulk 16 - excellent
Papergirls 27 - hurtling towards conclusion - with no real sense of how?
Assassin Nation 2 - chopping folks down too quickly as it turns out we're only going to get 5 issues of this (boo!)
Cinema Purgatorio 17 - also nearing its end and boy am I looking forward to reading 4 of the 5 tales here in one go - when I get to that.
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 41 - celebrating now simple good comics can make it past any expectation.
Black Hammer '45 2 and Black Hammer - Age of Doom 9 - celebrating now not simple great comics can head to an ending...

...and...

Gunning for Hits 4 - sadly lamenting the fact we're only going to get 6 issues of this piece of undisguised genius.

I might also lament how the number of comics I love that are ending, combined with those that didn't make it and are now on seemingly endless hiatus and or cancelled mean that my pull list is getting decimated and I'm not sure now its gonna recover... but that's for later.

I promise to labour this short bullet point far more next time and focus on infliciting my opinions on comics in far more detail on you next time rather than being tidy and organised next time.

Theblazeuk

Christ has it been so long since Cinema Purgatorio #16?

Colin YNWA

So before I get to my planned rant about the state of comics, we get an interesting haul and one that both speaks to what I might, eventually get around to saying and speaks against it.

Oh would you hark on me try to sound all intriguing and insightful - as if - let's just whitter about comics shall we.

I got Turok 3, but only cos my shop got it in before I cancelled - its still a bit rubbish and it gone.

Paper Girls 28 sees us with 3 2 issues to go and I've no idea how. This one needs a re-read and it deserves it too.

Criminal 4 still lacks what I think its lacked all the time. I love Brubaker and Phillips but this lack that narrative thread they do so well. Small vignettes are all well and good but I find it lacking somewhat.

Dick Tracey Forever 1 Oeming on Dick Tracey it can't go wrong, right. Well its a series of short stories and I don't know if its just not what I was expecting but it didn't work for me at first pass. I mean it looked stunning and I will go again...but

Have we lost Natacha Bustos from Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 42 proves why that would be a crying shame. Ray-Anthony Height is a decent artist, just not for this comic and this cute little one shot is all the weaker. Alas Ms Bustos doesn't seem to be coming back, next 2 issues have subs and I'm guessing this will end at 50. Please end with the funbang you deserve.

Black Hammer '45 3 is probably book of the haul by default. Its fun, its energetic, in many a haul it would get a look in however as it not that good, its juts very very good.

I kinda think Sex Book 6 (issues 35-39 in reality) I was so stoked when I save this. We where promised when the ongoing was stopped that we'd be getting a series of graphic novels to continue. I wasn't convinced we'd see them but here they are. The problem is given the change in format, for whatever reason and these folks have to find a way to make it work, I kinda assumed we'd get a change in the narrative. In reality its like we're all having to trade wait? I shouldn't mind, as I say they have to make this work in a way that works for them (them being Joe Casey and Piotr Kowalski) and I should be happy they are giving this a go AND I should be happy it reads like the comics in trade. 5 distinct chapter basically just issues... but I found reading it in one a little disappointing. I expected the tale to hang together better as a story, rather its just a continuation and with no real beginning middle or end ... works well month to month read in a chunk found it a little flat and lacking. Let's see I ain't going anywhere and hope they don't... hope the story does.

Colin YNWA

Mini free comic book day haul.

Zagor - The Alien Saga - man I was so looking forward to this, love me some continental comics and while some of the art of was good, if a little unenergetic, it does show its age and was a bit of a trial. Still paid nowt and got to try this before buying (or not as the case is) so no complaints

The Strange Things - which I got cos it has a Black Hammer feature - I didn't know this but those lovely folks at Sheffield Space Centre did so tucked one aside from me. I love my LCS. Anyway I also loved this comics. Free more Black Hammer I mean it can't go wrong can it. It was a nice overview but felt really relevent and in place. Brilliant.

As was Grumble vs The Goon. I mean free for more Eric Powell Goon and an introduction to gambling pug dog Grumble, a comic I'd been thinking about picking up but never got to. Its really good fun, looks astonishing AND throws in some free Hillbilly - I mean can one ask for more. I looked the answer up and the answer is NO you can't ask for more than that... well while remaining reasonable that is!

So they were the only things I read. The Girl enjoyed Under the Moon - a Catwoman tale , but be warned, yes she can be a sensitive soul but she came down after reading it in buckets as a [spoiler]cat dies [/spoiler] but she is desperate to read the whole thing.

The boy, much to Rebellions's delight currently favours Funny Pages BUT a caveate he is saving his Spidey comic for last as he thinks it looks best.

Colin YNWA

Well not the best haul. I've just looked back at my list of 'Comics of the Year 2017' and my current stuff, though often very very good, just doesn't have the strength in depth of a couple of years ago. Maybe I'm not getting the right titles? Maybe its that I'm getting less, as I trust fewer and fewer to get beyond issue 5 or 6 (you can't complain too much, these bloody creative types will insist on not just eatting but also having a roof over their heads, why can't they just serve my nerdy needs?). Maybe the market is thinning out a little? Who knows and there are certainly some great comics coming out  BUT my pull list is diminishing AND many titles on it are coming to an end and I'm not seeing much coming to replace them...

... huuummmm I'm getting distracted from my haul and I feel there's a seperate post here, so I'll get back on track.

There's actually not a bad comic in my haul looking at them, just not too many absolute blinders either. Let's see if that holds to scrutiny...

Two Bonds, James Bond 7 and James Bond Origin 9. Both are fine. I actually like the fact that Dynamite are making no attempt to jar things together into any form of continuity, they're just trying to tell good stories with a character with a lot of potential. So we get 'Origins' set during World War II and therefore contemporary with the books (I'd guess). Then the 'regular' on going is set in the modern world. Both are fun but not world shaking.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 43 is okay. Its a crossover with the latest Marvel event thingie and it tries its best but doesn't quite land. I think this title is coming to an end, but to of had a Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur comic for almost 50 issues is pretty mindblowing and so can't complain. Marvel have been very good to keep this book alive.... well or making cold hard cash beyond the direct market as I hear it does! I miss Natacha Bustos on this title.

Assassin Nation 3
I adore the work of Kyle Starks and this is fine, just not as good as the other stuff I've read by him.

Immortal Hulk 17 is a solid issue by the standard Al Ewing and Joe Bennett have set.

Now to the really good stuff... well one exception I'll get to soon... While The Goon 2 might not quite be this series at its best its still brilliant and Eric Powell remains a joy on the eye.

Black Hammer 10 sees this series really work its magic as it closes in on its conclusion.

I wanted to make Cinema Purgatorio 18 book of the haul to celebrate the closing of this truly imaginative series, alas its a bit frustrating. The best conclusion goes to the title strip, just is a little ironic as these have been a series of done in ones rather than an ongoing story, but this final episode by Mr Moore and Mr O'Neill brings things together quite brilliantly. 'Modded' does its best, alas doesn't quite stick its landing for me. Maybe when I find the time to re-read it as one it'll fare better? Still at least it tried. After 18 issues both 'A More Perfect Union' and 'The Vast' have less committed endings with promises of more to come. Where and when we don't know (well I don't) and the half endings we get feel a little like selling us short. I'm sure I'll change my tune when I get my hands on more of these two, as I surely will when I get the chance, for the moment however I found it a little annoying. Still I'll miss this series.

So if I can't give book of the Haul to that one as I wanted to it'll just have to go to Gunning for Hits 5. Pretty sad this one ends next issue as while it does feel like it will happily tell a tale with a good beginning, middle and end I'd have happily hung around Martin and his repugnant rock and roll world some more. This issue really, brilliantly cranks up the stakes and tension as Martin's delusions of Bowiesque Brian Slade are finally shattered and he determines some quite drastic actions to save his career.

Colin YNWA

Best thing about this comic haul is that we get the news that there's MORE Gunning for Hits to come after issue 6 brings this series to a close, more of that later. Any way this isn't cos this is a weak haul, far from it, rather the fact that Gangstas, Goths and Guns (what a title) has got me super excited!

Anyway to matter other than that this is a pretty damned fine haul. Criminal 5 continues the problems I have with this series. I feel I seen the downtroded, hard bitten characters I see in this comic. If not in comics in various other media. While the stories are good I'm just not getting anything fresh off all this. I think I'll give it to the end of the current story, about a gumshoe falling hard for the woman he's been asked to find... not fresh I know, and decide whether to cut this one of not.

Mind I've had similar periods of not really loving Paper Girls but issue 29, the series' penultimate brings things together and leaves me wondering what issue 30 will offer. This feels like a bittersweet end in itself so I'm super intrigued to see what's next and also to do a re-read some time soon(ish).

Black Hammer '45 4 is the last of the mini that have so illuminated the main series. Two issues of the core title to go and while for most cases a cross over with Justice League would seem a vanity project, in the hands of Jeff Lemire I suspect it will be so much more. I'm happy to spend as much time exploring this universe as I'll be allowed!

James Bond Origins 10
has the series best issue to date. I just loved Bond out of the environments you expect him. He's in the back streets of London and unlike the Bond I know primarily from the movies having to appeal to folks in away I've never seen. Great stuff.

Immortal Hulk 18 continues to this series fine, fine form... though I don't quite get the idea that its Marvel's answer to Alan Moore's Swamp Thing its not that good.... its BLOODY GREAT, but not that good....

Dick Tracey Forever 2 just goes to show sometimes you have to be in the right place for a comic to click with you, struggled with this last time ADORED it this.

Immortal Hulk 19 makes a mockery of my comments of 18. This is the first issue where I've genuinely gone OH MY GIDDY AUNT thats's why this gets all that fuss. Its bloody supreme! And was soooo close to being book of the haul, but alas for it it came up against...

... Gunning for Hits 6. When there's a trade of this series it will become the go to comic I give to my music loving friends to tempt them into reading comics. Just divine. It lands the ending SO well. Its just brilliant. Its like the very best crime thrillers, managing to brilliantly wrap up all the plot twists and turns in one thrilling finale while doing what Criminal doesn't for me by doing it with fresh and original characters due to its music industry settings. Just a delight if a series and I can't recommend it enough to you fine folks who read comics and love music. Oh if there's a better cover this year than Billy Butcher's cover to issue 6 I can't wait to see it. Jeff Rougvie and Moritat come back to us soon. Please!

Apestrife

Superman Year One #1 by Frank Miller and John Romita Jr. I must confess, I really hoped for this to be either outrageous like allstar Batman and Robin or methodical like Batman Year One. But it's neither. It's a little superman origin number which plays it quite nice outside a twist or two, and an interesting development towards the end. A nice little comic overall. Didn't mind reading it, but I'd like it if parts two and three played it a bit less safe.

American Carnage #8 by Bryan Hill and Leandro Fernández. Best Vertigo book I've read since sheriff of Babylon. A really tough story. Just a shame it's ending early on issue 9 instead of 12. This issue felt like it sped up some development, but it didn't feel rushed. Quite sure Bryan will do well with the issue he has left. Feels like he's set up all the characters for a nice collision.

Hawkmumbler

Oh hey i've actually found myself with a few moments to not only read my comics but talk about them? Must be that once every 3 month blue moon.

Anyway, Giant Days vol. 10 is wonderful, we all know that, people should be reading this it's one of the best comics right now that's not getting nearly enough recognition. Assassin Nation #4 is fine dandy and a lot of fun. Will look forward to rereading once this mini is over.

The Weekly Shonen Jump selection is fantastic as ever. My Hero Academia continues to be the most original super hero comic in the world, DR. Stone is brilliant fun and really inventive, The Promised Neverland subverted all expectations and Black Clover is still wonderfully daft. and self aware. It's a shame not many of the newish titles have stuck with me, but if anyone wants a bit of feudal Japanese supernatural horror, read Kimetsu No Yaiba. Thats some good ass comics.

Book of the week however goes to Stan Sakai and Usagi Yojimbo #1. A very bold and controversial choice to restart the numbering after many, MANY years at Dark Horse the new leaf turned at IDW opens with a strong and dependably wonderful start. Very happy to have Usagi back.

Theblazeuk

Walk Through Hell continues to be intense and compelling. Sometimes you could forget Garth Ennis is the product of a Catholic upbringing but when he meditates on sin and eternal suffering, well...