Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 April, 2020, 05:54:17 AM
Quote from: Bad Andy on 22 April, 2020, 11:13:23 PM
The Red Seas has 703 pages - what's that four volumes?
I think that's 685 pages (or 708 if you count the covers as well). Barney has the count wrong on Twilight of the Idols and Beautiful Freak.
Dunno what you're talking about ... The Red Seas
We never really die.

Bad Andy

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 April, 2020, 11:43:02 AM

QuoteIf the reboot stories aren't top-draw thrills then I'd really rather they left it at 3 books and gave us something else (especially if it's humour is going to rely on homophobic/racist tropes).
Some of the reboot is among the worst stuff 2000 AD put out during its darkest era. I would be genuinely amazed if these strips saw the light of day again. I'm not OK with some of the dodgy racial stereotypes in e.g. classic Dredd, but the Millar stuff was beyond the pale. Again, it's a pity there was no space for the Hogan/Hughes run, which was mostly rather good. But it's not good enough to warrant an entire book of reboot material. (And, let's face it, the Samantha Slade stuff never went anywhere, and was piss-poor as well.)

Don't remember too much. Remember a bit of  Return to Verdus story that I seem to recall was a bit of a romp, although at the time I didn't appreciate what had happened to Cutie.

But the artistry was beautiful. That's the main draw for me.

The Williams stuff was more workmanlike. And the story where there were multiple Sams was crap.

Trooper McFad

Just had an update from FP on the delays to the remaining Dante's 🙁 August now to get to the end just finished reading 7 and really enjoying the complete read through from the start of this character
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Jade Falcon

I don't know anything about this 'dark period' of 2000ad. As I have said before, I stopped reading, at a guess before Hitman Rogue. I know that's not an exact time but it was post classic era, when they tried the peace treaty and before that.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 24 April, 2020, 12:20:02 PM
Just had an update from FP on the delays to the remaining Dante's 🙁 August now to get to the end just finished reading 7 and really enjoying the complete read through from the start of this character

Yeah got that 1st week in July for volume 8 and then mid August for the final volume. I'll settle for that. Especially since I got a similar one form them for volume 7 and it arrived a fair bit earlier. The only thing I'll feel bad about is if my nerd shop is open by then I could have ordered from them, but this is the one thing I wasn't prepared to take a risk on!

Bad Andy

Haven't opened my Dante's yet. Read the first 4(ish) books before so looking forward to finding out how things developed. Even got original Simon Fraser artwork from the first book on my wall.

235 pages of Lobster Random as well

125 Bec N kawl, but that wasn't really for me.

Was this Grey Area any good? Seemed to run for a while.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bad Andy on 27 April, 2020, 12:27:08 AM
Was this Grey Area any good? Seemed to run for a while.

Its had its ups and down but laterly its been very good.

IndigoPrime

Lobster Random was good, but did it ever reach the end? (I vaguely remember that it stopped just before what looked like a final series.) Bec & Kawl already in trade. It's fine, but I'm not sure that's needed in the UC.

Grey Area's an odd one. When it's good, it's really good. The art is often fantastic, too. But it's laced with an oddly sexist streak throughout that I find very odd, not least coming from Abnett.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 April, 2020, 10:27:49 AM
Lobster Random was good, but did it ever reach the end?

No, but it doesn't really matter - collect the first three series together, and, like the Stickleback volume, you have a nice little trilogy and an ending (even if not the ending).

Be nice to have some Spurrier in the collection.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Would need The Vort also, presumably, or can that just be cut out without any issues?

Dark Jimbo

No, that's the thing - series 3 ended with a successful heist and Lob and Klik jetting off into the sunset with the ill-gotten loot. Besides a little coda where [spoiler]the Lobster Elder-God threatened escape[/spoiler], there were no loose ends at all by that point. Perfect for a one-off volume, in my eyes.
@jamesfeistdraws

Swerty

The Vcs will be in the extention surely?

sintec

Quote from: Swerty on 27 April, 2020, 11:47:06 PM
The Vcs will be in the extention surely?

No one knows for sure at this point.  But if they're looking for some early material to include then VCs and Flesh seem like the obvious choices to me.

Jade Falcon

Has anyone that gets their issues from newsagents got them lately? I'm still missing from the last Nikolai Dante onwards and hope I don't miss out.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 30 April, 2020, 03:17:18 PM
Has anyone that gets their issues from newsagents got them lately? I'm still missing from the last Nikolai Dante onwards and hope I don't miss out.

My newsagent had the latest Dante volume on the revised issue date of April 15th. The next issue (Slaine: Book of Scars) is due on May 6th so it looks like you've only missed one, hope you track it down.