Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

It's all very discouraging, isn't it?

I generally only use FP now, but as Hachette were the only ones that had those particular books, i went with them.

As you say, IP, why they and other sellers don't just use a little bit more packaging, expensive mistakes would easily be avoided.

It's exasperating!

IndigoPrime

I can only imagine most people don't complain. I've had enough of that. If I'm buying high-end collectable books, they'd better bloody arrive in good condition. But even stuff like the Hachette collection should be free from major prangs/crushed edges/corners.

karlos

I'm suprised Hachette are as slapdash as they are.

This latest parcel really does take the biscuit: shipping books out in a box that wasn't sealed at all - madness!

Jade Falcon

This is why I went to a newsagents. Someone said a while back that a direct subscription would have been more efficient, but the tales of woe with late books and bad deliveries put me off.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

They are varying degrees of hopeless, but to date I've never missed a book, and I've had replacements for every issue where I deemed the damage to be unacceptable. So the customer service broadly works (and the new lot are more responsive online than the old ones, and appear to have a better grasp of English). The baffling thing is why the packaging is periodically so poor in the first place. My guess is the savings per item add up and compensate for the people who demand replacements. Although the bin-bag incident was perhaps a step too far.

Colin Zeal

Working as a postman I know very well the complaints people have about how items are delivered. We don't do many Hachette deliveries so they clearly have a contact with someone else. I would like to say that whichever company delivers your parcel, if you think it's damaged and you want to complain then take photos of the parcel before you open it. Take photos of the actual item once opened. If you can,complain to the driver and ask for their name. I doubt it will come to this but you never know.

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 06 June, 2020, 06:04:37 PM
....  if you think it's damaged and you want to complain then take photos of the parcel before you open it. Take photos of the actual item once opened.

We had a new desk for our daughter delivered by DPD.  Driver knocked on the door and scarpered sharpish leaving the package in the car port.  The state of one corner of the box said it all.  Stove in didn't begin to describe it.

Emailed DPD and the company we bought it from.  Pics to the company as requested before we'd even thought about opening the box. Waited until the company told us what they wanted to do next.

Company offered a full refund and told us to keep the desk (presumably more expensive than sending out a new one plus they were now out of stock ...)  DPD fobbed us off with a "well, all our records show there was no damage."  Fair point but it arrived in a state so that means it was the driver ...

Colin Zeal

DPD drivers get paid  £1.50 for every item they deliver. If it isn't delivered somewhere they don't get paid. It's why they will leave a parcel in the bins, with a neighbour two streets away or throw it through a window. It doesn't make it OK but it makes clear why an individual items doesn't mean that much to them. Obviously us royal mail staff have never dropped a parcel and we treat every item as if it was really delicate.

The Monarch

considering recent events I am kinda looking forward to rereading [spoiler]ichabod azrael[/spoiler] in a few months

leethomson

Durham Red's a bit...European isn't it?

Jade Falcon

In what way.

I haven't read it yet, three books waiting in my newsagent in the nearby town, and that's a pain in the ass having to get them all.  They say I don't have to take them all, but its more expense on fuel splitting the uplift.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

leethomson

Euphemistically, in quite a Heavy Metal, neo-gothic tits and ass way. Felt a bit much to me.

sintec

Quote from: leethomson on 07 June, 2020, 10:21:03 PM
Euphemistically, in quite a Heavy Metal, neo-gothic tits and ass way. Felt a bit much to me.

The T&A did feel a bit unnecessary and detracted from the story towards the end. I guess vampires don't feel the cold.

It was a shame cos I think there was a good plot in there but the first story was rendered somewhat incoherent by the art and the later stories whilst more comprehensible did feel a little skeevy.

Bad Andy

I really didn't care for Red when she was rebooted in the prog, so I'm not looking forward to the collection with any relish at all.

Bolt-01

Conversely this was one of the volumes I've looked forward to most of all. The fact it is 'all' of the Abnett/Harrison run is fantastic.

I'll also say I've not read this in many years and recall that the storytelling is a little tough in places.