Main Menu

Which Apex Editions would you like to see?

Started by IndigoPrime, 25 September, 2023, 12:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawman of the Present

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 25 September, 2023, 07:32:21 PMYep. Actual size. He draws that stuff actual size.

No... I couldn't believe it, either!

I had the pleasure of meeting Phil a few years ago at a small street art event in Birmingham. Naturally being Brum, the event was so poorly promoted that virtually nobody turned up, and in the absence of anyone else in line, we ended up talking for a good few hours.

I'd paid for an A4 Dredd headshot sketch, and Phil kept drawing the entire time! The end result was simply wonderful ('sketch' certainly doesn't do it justice) and makes me feel mighty inferior an artist when I look at it.

Le Fink

More Apex suggestions - I don't think Chris Weston has been mentioned yet. He came to mind when I commented on the recent Hachette Slaine book where he has a lovely cameo.

There's his Indigo Prime work, pretty and wild.

I vaguely remember Canon Fodder, and a quick image search shows up some good stuff.

Bar that and his early Dredds, has he done much else for the prog/Meg?

Lorenzo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 September, 2023, 12:03:38 PMI'm a big fan of art that's stylised more than great draughtsmanship. So while I appreciate, say, Brian Bolland, I don't feel upset at having missed out on his book. And I'm not sure I'd go for one by Steve Dillon, for similar reasons.

I'm the exact opposite! Love Bolland and grew up with Dillon, so I couldn't be more pleased to hear that Steve is the next Apex Edition:
Steve Dillon Apex Edition announced

IndigoPrime

To be fair, I'm not sure my resolve will hold. I was very clear that I would not buy the Kev O'Neill one, but I've seen people flicking through the thing on YouTube and, well...

13school

I wouldn't have thought Dillon would be a must buy Apex edition for me, but I'm pretty sure over the coming months I'll end up putting in an order for it. They're great books in general - haven't regretted one yet!

GoGilesGo

A question for all owners of Apex Editions.

Where do you keep them?

My finger has hovered over the buy button for the McMahon book and the Steve Dillon edition looks beautiful, but jee-zus they are big. I don't have a shelf nearly tall enough to store anything like that and all potential 'coffee table' real estate is taken up by the other half's books on CoCo Chanel, YSL and the like.

Funt Solo

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 15 October, 2023, 05:05:15 PMall potential 'coffee table' real estate is taken up by the other half's books

Controversial, perhaps - but have you considered divorce?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 15 October, 2023, 05:05:15 PMWhere do you keep them?
Despite owning one, I'm asking the same question. Right now, it's 'stored' horizontally on a shelf in my office.

Le Fink

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 15 October, 2023, 05:05:15 PMA question for all owners of Apex Editions.

Where do you keep them?

My finger has hovered over the buy button for the McMahon book and the Steve Dillon edition looks beautiful, but jee-zus they are big. I don't have a shelf nearly tall enough to store anything like that and all potential 'coffee table' real estate is taken up by the other half's books on CoCo Chanel, YSL and the like.
The McMahon book is pretty awesome. I would have loved to have seen a bit more Judge Child and Block Mania than the earlier pieces, but I'm grateful for what I've got, and the fully coloured stuff at the back is tremendous.

I have Kev's as well. Mine are vertical, but on the floor, propped up against the wall. It is... not ideal.

oshii

I'd absolutely buy a Belardinelli.

Fabry and Chris Weston would be pretty high on the list too.   

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 15 October, 2023, 05:05:15 PMWhere do you keep them?

Propped vertically against boxes of books in a walk-in wardrobe.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Le Fink

Quote from: oshii on 15 October, 2023, 09:25:12 PMI'd absolutely buy a Belardinelli.   
If some of the standout scenes in Dragonheist could be acquired, I'd be tempted by a Belardinelli. I just feel a connection with that story, the visuals blew my mind as a youngster.

Le Fink

Quote from: Lorenzo on 14 October, 2023, 10:15:39 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 September, 2023, 12:03:38 PMI'm a big fan of art that's stylised more than great draughtsmanship. So while I appreciate, say, Brian Bolland, I don't feel upset at having missed out on his book. And I'm not sure I'd go for one by Steve Dillon, for similar reasons.

I'm the exact opposite! Love Bolland and grew up with Dillon, so I couldn't be more pleased to hear that Steve is the next Apex Edition:
Steve Dillon Apex Edition announced
I'm a Steve Dillon fan, particularly his Dredd. So an Apex is tempting. The reported content isn't quite making this an automatic buy for me yet (is it likely to change at this point?)

I've seen some Block Mania pics (great!) - but no Cry of the Werewolf or City of the Damned as yet. Rogue is mentioned but I'm guessing it's limited to the John Higgins collaboration (which is lovely) and no Cinnabar?

The Emerald Isle story - I recall when I read it at the time I was somewhat put off by the colouring, and presumably that's not something that can be removed. Sorry, this is rather a grumble!

I'm sure masses of work goes into these editions and we're lucky we have the chance to buy them. And getting hold of the original art is going to be impossible in many cases. Can't help wishing though.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Le Fink on 16 October, 2023, 07:37:24 AMThe Emerald Isle story - I recall when I read it at the time I was somewhat put off by the colouring, and presumably that's not something that can be removed. Sorry, this is rather a grumble!

I'm not sure about that... ISTR that when art was hand-coloured by someone other than the 'main' artist during this period, it was generally done on high-quality copies of the art, rather than onto the original pages themselves. (Might be that 'Emerald Isle' wasn't done this way... I'm afraid I don't know, but it's at least possible that the original Dillon linework still exists in B&W.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Lorenzo

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 15 October, 2023, 05:05:15 PMA question for all owners of Apex Editions.

Where do you keep them?

Yeah, they are kinda ridiculous for storing or displaying. If I don't have one of them on my coffee table then they are "stored" in their delivery box underneath the coffee table! I'm hoping to include a specially made shelf in my office to show them off eventually.