Main Menu

Odd thoughts

Started by Pagangirl, 10 October, 2002, 05:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Generally Contrary

----In purely geological terms of course, we are a function of the planet that comes into play to pare down the evoloutionary paths to the most succesful species, once we have fulfilled that role we ourselves will be discarded to history.----

What nonsense.  You really don't understand evolution do you?  We are not a 'function of the planet' in any meaningful sense.  We are not here to 'pare down the evolutionary paths'.  There is no driving force behind evolution, no grand plan, and there will be no climax of the process in a perfectly evolved species.

critter

"American shows have been particularly devoid of innovative thought and originality."

I can't agree with you completely. But there are two shows I really hated Farscape and Lexx. Never saw a full episode of either, couldn't sit through 'em.

Judge Krites

paulvonscott

Well, gawd bless you pagan girl, you are clearly mad.

I got into Survivors through the bargain bin route, and picked up the first four videos.  It sounds like you havn't watched it from the start, which isn't the best way to do the series (I've converted other people who just saw a bit in the middle and thought it was on a par with emmerdale farm).  You certainly seem to have missed out!

Farscape was by no means the worst SF series on tv, but then it wasn't one of the greats either.  I heard that the Sci-Fi channel wouldn't give them the money they want and rather than let production standards slip (which are good) they decided there would be no more.

As for the planet business, as I said, mad.

Quirkafleeg

There as already been a Prisoner strip. A sequel in graphic novel form during the 80s that was a loony as the original. All I can remember from reading a mate?s copy: agent (black, female?) goes to a now-deserted village; an old penny farthing on the beach; No6 is now No1; nuclear missiles under the village; all completely mad.

Survivors whilst a product of it's time (worries about environmental collapse, over population, getting back to nature) is still superb.

The current series of Farscape currently being shown shows worrying signs of shark-jumping... As Warren Ellis has recently pointed out one of the reasons it was cancelled was that it was not growing its audience. Its gone so far along it's twisted, spiralling, arc that new viewers don't stand a chance. The last series was deranged and brilliant, so far the new series is deranged and incoherent with massive plot holes and too many central
There as already been a Prisoner strip. A sequel in graphic novel form during the 80s that was a loony as the original. All I can remember from reading a mate?s copy: agent (black, female?) goes to a now-deserted village; an old penny farthing on the beach; No6 is now No1; nuclear missiles under the village; all completely mad.

Survivors whilst a product of it's time (worries about environmental collapse, over population, getting back to nature) is still superb.

The current series of Farscape currently being shown shows worrying signs of shark-jumping... As Warren Ellis has recently pointed out one of the reasons it was cancelled was that it was not growing its audience. Its gone so far along it's twisted, spiralling, arc that new viewers don't stand a chance. The last series was deranged and brilliant, so far the new series is deranged and incoherent with massive plot holes and too many central

paulvonscott

The issues in survivors have never been more relevant with biological warfare attacks in America.  In fact, the way society and technolgoy has preogressed, it would be even more difficult for people to survive now than it would in the seventies.

DavidXBrunt

The Avengers Comic! Wagner and Gibson and Steed and Peel. Nice.

satchmo

Why worry about the future? Our star will die in 5 billion years time anyway.I think its got beyond the point where we're as natural a force as glaciers and volcanos,and while it wasnt Tony Blair who caused the death of the dinosaurs,the contempt politicians and monotheistic religions  have for our planet is not a reason to party while we can.Humanity will eventually be only a heartbeat of the lifespan of our planet,there won't be a 22nd century the way things are going.
I've been reading a lot of Pat Mills recently,and I'm in a foul mood,but to me this century has started about as badly as it possibly could have. The only thing we all have in common is our beautiful home the Earth.
As for Survivors,this time last year all I'd ever seen of it was a photo of Patrick Troughton next to a canal,it hardly screamed "watch me!",now I've seen it from beginning to end I think its more relevant than its ever been.Its certainly influential again,Reign of Fire and 28 Days Later are full of Survivors homages,and that kind of Wyndham-esque science fiction is something 2000Ad could do with,to get back to the point of the thread : )
programmes like Survivors that had no budget,you have to look at them in context and from the beginning to get anything out of them.
If its true Farscape is packing in becaues the budgets were cut a little bit,then good riddnace to the muppeteering,whining sods.

Devons Daddy

just a thought

Why worry about the future? Our star will die in 5 billion years time anyway.

so what will my copy of prog 1 be worth on ebay just before that takes place then?

im with the clangers idea me for a great tooth story, but since its not ours then a cross over with dredd,i can see it now. a deep space mission to bring the soup dragon back to feed the mega citys population,.
some one call ennis to get started on the script,
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Woolly

What about The Dead Zone? That could be pretty cool, Frazer Irving on art ,etc.
And what about some Argento seriels in the Meg? Opera and Tenebrae as comics? Surely my ideas arent as bad as they sound?

Woolly

Addition to my earlier message, what about Z-Cars by Abnett & Staples? OK, so its not sci-fi, but it could be good for a larf......(I'll get me coat)!

Tu-plang

I still think Doctor Who would go best in 2000ad, with writer and artist cycling every story.  I've seen Junkyard Demon drawn by McMohan (written by Mills?), and I've seen Frazer Irving's Cyberman image for the Perfect Timing charity anthology (scary shit!),and the comic strips in DWM have never really cut it.  See what Tharg can do with it.

Wow, that'd also mean that basically all of Doctor Who fandom will take up 2000ad, for the sake of completion.

Trout

I was always suspicious of Mr Ben, to go back to an earlier point in the thread.

Just what was that shopkeeper up to?

I'd like to see the lost episode: "Mr Ben gets an anal probe."

I didn't say that; it was too offensive.

- Never forget the Trout is evil...

VegasRudeBoy

I liked Farscape even if this last season was just toooo weird.  it tried to be inventive.  Dead Zone?  With what's-his-chops Hall?  Bleah.  It's on over and over again right now.  it's okay, but don't stay home.

In fact, there's nothing on Sci-Fi at all right now unless you really want to watch a crappy lizard movie.  Why do I pay my cable fee? waffle etc...

HiEx

How about the Professionals? Bodie & Doyle would be great drawn by Arthur Ranson.

HiEx

Mk13

>There as already been a Prisoner strip. A sequel in graphic novel form during the 80s that was a loony as the original. All I can remember from reading a mate's copy: agent (black, female?) goes to a now-deserted village; an old penny farthing on the beach; No6 is now No1; nuclear missiles under the village; all completely mad.

Yeah, you're spot on. It was put out by Titan many years ago, and is now well out of print. Wasn't too bad if I remeber rightly, though nowhere near as classy as the series.

I also have a sneaking suspicion that both the Professionals and the Avengers have appeared in comicbook form at some point, though that may just be my memory playing tricks...