Main Menu

Judge Fear's Big Day Out and Other Stories - coming November 2020

Started by Dash Decent, 30 September, 2020, 11:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

Judge Fear's Big Day Out And Other Stories - Paperback, 416 pages, 12th November 2020

New anthology collecting the very best prose stories from the pages of the Galaxy's Greatest Comic!

A shopping mall where droids sell organs harvested from street trash...
A murderous imaginary friend...
A psychotic composer drafting music from pain...
All in a day's work for the Lawman of the Future.

Judge Fear's Big Day Out and Other Stories gathers the very best short stories from more than a decade of the Judge Dredd Megazine, including stories by legends Alan Grant, Gordon Rennie and Simon Spurrier, among countless others...

Not sure how the number of contributors to a ~400 page book can be 'countless'.  It's probably meant to refer to the megazine.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

AlexF

There's really a market for collections of prose stories? I'm sure some of them are good but I just can't bring myself to read them when they're published in a comic. My brain can't cope making the switch from one kind of reading to another.

I, Cosh

Quote from: AlexF on 01 October, 2020, 01:07:52 PM
There's really a market for collections of prose stories?
Haven't there already been a couple of digital only collections of this stuff? I tend to agree that it's not for me but it looks like we're on our own.
We never really die.

leethomson

I'm with you! These were always an auto-skip in Annuals and Sci-Fi Specials, etc. Features were fine, but prose stories just didn't belong.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Judge Fear's Big Day Out is an incredibly clever short story and well worth reading.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Richard

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

There were some really good text stories in the specials.  Most of the best ones were by John Smith - his Animal House was set in MC1 and the Cursed Earth and was excellent. He also did a really good Strontium Dogs text story, and his Rogue Trooper (Friday version) text story was pretty much the only good bit of new material in an otherwise Fleisher-heavy Rogue annual.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

judgefloyd

The only one of these I remember is Judge Fear's Big Day Out, which was excellent.  In general, I'm not a huge fan of comics going to prose - it feels like getting the audio sound track to a movie instead of watching the movie, but if it works, it works.  Will check out out.  Great cover.