Main Menu

Best Xmas Prog Ever?

Started by AlexF, 10 December, 2021, 08:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

It's a fair question, but I think the way it's presented in this Prog (and in Prog 2004), the Sinister Dexter text stories ARE meant to be treated as just another dose of the series, rather than as suprise treats as in the Dredd text story from Prog 2013 (or whichever one it is). But yes, if I had scored it as a non-thrill it'd have dragged that score down but allowed the Thrill score to be noticeable higher! But not as much higher as all that, it's only 1 bad stip out of 9 great ones. So I don't think it'd have knocked the Prog to a higher rank overall.

Not sure I'd be willing ot live in a Universe where a COMIC with a text story in it was ever declared as 'best'  :D

AlexF

Time to reveal the BEST Xmas Prog EVER!

(But stay tuned for a different statistical analysis, and a diversion into the best 'any' Prog ever...p)

AlexF

No but really, which Xmas Prog has the best collection of stories in it?

MumboJimbo

This has been a great read. If you feel a sequel coming on any time soon, may I humbly suggest a look into the best APNIAMOFJOP of all time? See the review thread for prog 2250 if my jargon eludes you.

AlexF

Well, I didn't specifically pull out all the APNIAMOFJOPs, but I will get into a bit of discussion about them, and indeed pick out a couple of faves, tomorrow morning...

AlexF

And without further ado, never mind the best XMAS Prog, what's the single best PROG?

Hope you enjoyed the ride!

Colin YNWA

Bold move, glad you dodged it! Fantastic article.

MumboJimbo

Quote from: AlexF on 24 December, 2021, 08:01:09 AM
And without further ado, never mind the best XMAS Prog, what's the single best PROG?

I very much enjoyed this! And agree with you about 500. I remember having to wait until finishing my paper round to read this, and having to deliver it to a few homes before I could settle down to read it properly! What a great line up, especially artistically with Talbot, Fabry and Ewins/McCarthy leading the charge.

And you're so right about prog 723, the first all-colour one. What a disappointment! I cancelled my regular order a few weeks later.

On a more positive note, the run beginning with Prog 650 was a classic, and totally agree with your 5/5 rating.

My own personal faves are the run starting with prog 335 and the run circa 400. 335 onwards started a run of Nemesis Book 3, Dredd The Graveyard Shift, Strontium Dog The Moses Incident and shorter Slaine and Rogue Trooper stories.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: AlexF on 24 December, 2021, 08:01:09 AM

I loved it, thanks, Alex! And I'm with you on the top pick. Merry Christmas!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"