Main Menu

THE OFFICIAL 2021 2000 AD COVER OF THE YEAR VOTE

Started by Pete Wells, 20 December, 2021, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Well, if there's one thing this messageboard is lacking, it's any kind of vote or poll! So, once again, it's time for the annual 2000 AD Cover of the Year vote! You can see all the covers (by my reckoning that's progs 2213 - 2262) here , and of course, click 'em to enlarge 'em:

https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/2000-ad/2021

Alternatively, you can check out the official 2000 AD Covers Uncovered part of the site by the Godlike Richard Bruton for really in depth breakdowns of most of em, unsullied with silly nonsense like logos and taglines! Go here:

https://2000ad.com/news/tag/2000adcoversuncovered/

I'd like you to CLEARLY list your THREE favourites, in order. THREE points will be awarded to your fave, TWO points for second and ONE point for third. Please try and be explicit with this and maybe give a little comment to say why you chose each cover as it makes it a bit more interesting for the rest of us!

The closing date is midnight on Sunday 2nd January 2022...

A Meg thread will be along shortly...

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

1. 2260
2. 2251
3. 2232

all completely different in design and execution, but all stylish, accomplished and arresting. 2260 is peerless, though, a classic artistic vision as well as a great nostalgic homage to some classic ensemble covers from decades ago.
great year for covers.

WhizzBang

Richard

1) 2244. I live the grotesqueness of the maggot with a human head, and Patrick Goddard is one of the best artists.
2) 2252, dynamic action from veteran artist Cliff Robinson.
3) 2248. A striking image, and I love what they've done with the arms. Also I like all the skulls.

Runner-up: 2251, colourful and I like The Out.

Funt Solo

1st place is prog 2213: Durham Red by Cliff Robinson & Dylan Teague
Great staging and off-kilter coloring make for a powerful, dynamic cover.

2nd place is prog 2232: Thistlebone by Simon Davis
The symmetry and stark simplicity add to the chilling nature of the blood-soaked visage.

3rd place is prog 2248: Jaegir by Cliff Robinson & Dylan Teague
The Hindu goddess of death posed behind Atalia doing a crucifixion pose layers on the religious symbolism, powered by a subtle accent color complementing the fiery rays of destruction.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

1) 2225: Tom Foster, glowing skull on the floor, Dredd looking pensive
2) 2234: Plummet of the Ape by PJ Holden. Love a good 'falling' cover.
3) 2259: Jurassic Shark by Tazio Bettin. Immaculate composition.

(Bubbling under - the (un)dead badger, and the one where Dredd is crushing a mound of robo-skulls)

Barrington Boots

Really spoilt for choice again this year and difficult to narrow it down to just three.
I'm going for:

2217 - Incredible Dan Cornwell Dredd image, the cityscape and the colours are brilliant here
2232 - Simon Davis' Thistlebone badger. Simple, stark and loaded with menace.
2248 - Cliff Robinsons Jaegir cover. Christ and Kali imagery and a very striking image.

I was really hard pressed to leave out the 2260's Klegg Jazz Hands cover and Dave Kendalls Mechastopheles cover for prog 2237 - this should be on the front of a heavy metal album. I also especially loved 2219 (Pat Goddards skysurfer cityscape) and 2259 (Bettins fantastic dinosaur)
You're a dark horse, Boots.

abelardsnazz

1. 2250. Great to see McMahon back on the GGC.
2. 2237. No-one does this stuff better than Dave Kendall.
3. 2234. Great homage to Vertigo.

Lorenzo

1: 2228 - Leonardo Manco by about a thousand miles. The finest cover I've seen in years, the details, the poise, everything about it is perfection.

2: 2252 - Cliff Robinson & Dylan Teague. When does Cliff ever draw a bad cover?
3: 2248 - Cliff Robinson & Dylan Teague. In fact, does this guy ever draw anything that isn't either stunning or brilliantly dynamic?

moldovangerbil

Colin YNWA

Sod it I'm just going to go for it otherwise I will flim flam and change my mind a gazillion times - what a strong year.

I make this call just looking at the thumbnails as it give you a really good sense of which one would pop off the shelves and demand attention, which is the covers job after all. On that basis I go

1st - 2232 Simon Davis - I mean come on its as creepy all hell and if it doesn't scare you away, it will pull you right in, with those bloody piercing dead badger eyes.

2nd - 2234 PJ Holden - brilliant design that uses the intrigue and mystery of the brilliant original and throws in so humour notes to make you aware this story will be immense fun... but something more.

3rd 2246 Steve Roberts - It follows a colour plalette that so many of the Regeneds do but pops such a fun central image that you gonna want to read it ... well in some cases, some folks don't but as at outsider...

There are so many I could give an Honourable mention to but I will pick out one, Mark Harrison's 2245, while his The Out covers are great this Sinister Dexter one is so much more direct, clear and action packed, love it.

Thanks as ever for running these again this year Lovely Pete.

BPP

1st - 2253 - the colours, beautiful.
2nd - 2232 - the brutality, terrifying
3rd - 2224 - the dynamism, thrilling.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

As ever: argh. So. Many. Covers. Picking just three seems wrong. As ever, I'm going for what makes a good cover, rather than just a good image.

1. 2260: An excellent cover that warms the nostalgia cockles, smartly reworks the 2000 AD logo, and would make any lapsed reader wonder what the heck is going on, making them pick this up.

2. 2257: Powerful use of a limited colour palette here, and the combination of human figures and tentacles has a properly creepy vibe.

3. 2220: Great angles and figure work make for a high-impact cover that should draw in readers, young and old.

Lots of HMs (sorry):

2234: A really striking graphic that very nearly made it into my top three. Lovely stuff.
2253: Vibrant and beautifully rendered Martian invasion action.
2221: A lovely tribute to a much-loved great—and you gotta love those chunky black outlines.
2213: A divisive strip, but this version of Red looks superb, like she'd snap you in two, rather than a glamour model fantasy.
2252: More Cliff Robinson goodness, this time with a composition that feels decidedly old-school in nature.
2230: One of many brighter and more cartoonish covers that really stood out for me this year.
2229: An old master returns to Dredd with a punch. Here's hoping he has time for more in the future.
2214: Bright and dynamic—just the kind of cover you want to engage you with a new strip.
2222: Another cartoony cover that stood out and made me want to jump to what was inside.

Swerty