Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Middenface McNulty vs. Shako Round 2 Heat 71

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 March, 2022, 06:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnetica

A difficult one. I only read Shako for the first (and only) time 5 years ago. Let's say I probably would have enjoyed more if I'd read it when it was first printed, as I would have been 8 or 9 years old. So it doesn't benefit from rose tinted nostalgia in my case.

Solo Middenface wasn't great. As other's have said, he was a much better character in the main SD strip, even when he was briefly the lead /co-lead.

So that all adds up to my second abstaining in a vote today.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Shako- because Shako is still, after forty-five years, probably my favourite thing the prog has ever printed.

And I still want a hardback edition with a white furry cover, and rubber bear claws slashing through and the logo dyed on in red.

And a Shako furry hat.

SBT

Barrington Boots

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 18 March, 2022, 07:21:53 AM
Shako- because Shako is still, after forty-five years, probably my favourite thing the prog has ever printed.

And I still want a hardback edition with a white furry cover, and rubber bear claws slashing through and the logo dyed on in red.

And a Shako furry hat.

SBT

DROKK. Definitely this!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 March, 2022, 08:07:13 PM
A difficult one. I only read Shako for the first (and only) time 5 years ago. Let's say I probably would have enjoyed more if I'd read it when it was first printed, as I would have been 8 or 9 years old. So it doesn't benefit from rose tinted nostalgia in my case.

Funnily enough I first read Shako when I was 8 or 9 - or at leat, the parts that were reprinted in the 1987 annual - and found it a bit of a slog. It was only when re-reading it all in an Extreme Edition (I guess I'd've been in my late 20s by then) that I fell for its OTT charms. It didn't help that Ramon Sola's weird, distorted art is miles above the other 2 or 3 artists who worked on the strip; there are quite a few epsiodes where Shako looks more cuddly than deadly which confused young me I think.
It's not all about the bear - the Cold War subplot, and the Mills-on-Toast dialogue spouting from CIA chief Foulmouth/Falmouth is hilarious, too.

Colin YNWA

Will Shako make a guest appearance in Round 3? Looks like, but you vote today, I'll count in the morning and we'll know for sure then.

Magnetica

Having said I'll abstain, I've changed my mind and decided to do an Everton* I.e. after a match of (allegedly) very poor quality score in the 9th minute of added on time: Middenface.

* and as a Red it's hard to do an Everton.

JayzusB.Christ

Middenface. He's one of the best characters ever created by anyone, ever. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well Middenface made quite a come back at the end there but Shakp had bitten way to far into a lead to be pull back and McNulty was little a walrus to the slaughter on this one. Just like Hershey one of the comics lead character second must popular co-star has lost all its iterations by the end of Round 2

Shako

however is still on the fanboys most wanted list going into Round 3