Main Menu

Sideshow Vote – War of Nations vs The Great War

Started by broodblik, 21 February, 2022, 03:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Out of the pages of Battle Picture Library two of the most fondly remember characters were born, one was a fly boy the other fighting in the trenches different world wars the one in the east the other he west. We are talking about Johnny Red and Charley Bourne.  Whom of these two classic characters are your favorite (This is not about which is the best strip).
•   Johnny Red
•   Charley Bourne
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Much as I love Johnny Red this one is easy

Charley's War

is one of the greatest comics of all time.

rogue69

paddykafka

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

charley's war had the magnificent joe colquhoun.

but johnny red had john cooper at his rough, kinetic mightiest.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 21 February, 2022, 03:28:06 AM
Whom of these two classic characters are your favorite (This is not about which is the best strip).

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 February, 2022, 06:30:20 AM
Much as I love Johnny Red this one is easy

Charley's War

is one of the greatest comics of all time.

See its not just my own votes I mess up in. I voted for the strip, read the blurb and now have to flip about - sorry Broodblik.

Charley is a good character in a magnificent strip. But Johnny is a Red* from Liverpool and as a kid I always thought his rugged charm was soooo cool. So in the end - when voting proper like, I'll go

Johnny Redburn

While acknowledging Charley is the better crafted  and developed character.

*Just to note that I know 'in the real world' he's called 'Red' due to his surname in my head cannon its cos he used to go stand on The Spion Kop!

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 February, 2022, 01:13:45 PM
*Just to note that I know 'in the real world' he's called 'Red' due to his surname in my head cannon its cos he used to go stand on The Spion Kop!

The Spoin Kop real name is Spioenkop which if you translate it literally means spy-head. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 21 February, 2022, 01:49:35 PM

The Spoin Kop real name is Spioenkop which if you translate it literally means spy-head.

I know it related to a battle during the Boer War so interesting to have the insight of a 'local' - not sure now near you are to Ladysmith?

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 February, 2022, 03:03:09 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 21 February, 2022, 01:49:35 PM

I know it related to a battle during the Boer War so interesting to have the insight of a 'local' - not sure now near you are to Ladysmith?

It is about 400km from where I am staying, Centurion. The only reason why I know about this is that we "won" but it was right in the beginning of the Second Anglo-Boer War. At the end the bigger result was inevitably.

maryanddavid

This is a tough one. Two great, if very different character, both let down by their ending a little. Charley gets the vote.

Barrington Boots

This is really, really difficult.
My kneejerk reaction was to say Johnny Red, but having thought about it Charley Bourne is the better character. He's more rounded whereas Johnny has a bit of the generic tough guy about him.
John Cooper's Johnny is one of my favourite thing in comics though.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Rogue Judge

Yeah this is tough but Charley Bourne takes it. He's the more well developed, more relatable character IMO.

Love both comic series though.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm afraid I've never liked Johnny Red, so Charley walks this one for me. Never mind the strip is likely the greatest thing ever published in British comics, Bourne himself is all our (great?) grandads, isn't he?

SBT

broodblik

Air or Land your choice I will call this one on Monday

broodblik

So we have a clear winner here.

Voting closed the winner:

Charley Bourne