Main Menu

Best 2000 AD strips of 2022

Started by norton canes, 03 January, 2023, 11:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

I don't know if it's because of the avalanche of GOAT voting rounds earlier in the year but there don't seem to be any 'Best of 2022' threads appearing, so I thought I'd at least keep the 'Best Non-Dredd' tradition going

No major thrills made their debut in 2022, so the list has a familiar look to it. This time round I've decided not to include exclusively Regened strips and focus on the regular prog. I haven't included any of the Zombie-themed strips either, as they weren't ongoing; neither have I included any strips that started their run in the Xmas prog - so if you're bursting to vote for Joe Pineapples, you'll have to wait until next year!

As ever, please let me know if I've missed anything

Please rank your favourite three strips. Your top choice will be awarded three points, your second choice two points and your third choice one point. I'd be grateful if you could only vote using this format (although obviously feel free to add comments!):

1. [Favourite strip - name of strip as in list]
2. [Second favourite strip - name of strip as in list]
3. [Third favourite strip - name of strip as in list]

No reverse orders please as it invites mistakes on my part. Also no joint rankings, thanks

A reminder of previous years' results: 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017

Here we go, then. Vote now!

Brink
Chimpsky's Law
Enemy Earth
Fiends of the Eastern Front
Future Shocks/Terror Tales
Hershey
Hope...
Indigo Prime
Intestinauts
Jaegir
Kingmaker
Proteus Vex
Saphir
(Sinister) Dexter
Skip Tracer
The Crawley Man
The Order
The Out

[edited to add The Crawley Man – IP]

norton canes

Shall we say the voting deadline is end of next Tuesday (10th)?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Smart work NC!
For me:

1. The Out - stellar as always
2. Jaegir - only bad thing about this is that we didn't get more of it
3. Saphir - absolutely beautiful stuff from Dave Roach. 

Brink, Fiends and Kingmaker, which I'd have thought would have been my auto-picks, had some disappointing stuff this year by their usual high standards so I've had to miss them all off! Chimpsky & Vex just miss out.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

1. The Out
2. Proteus Vex
3. Chimpsky's Law

Lots of other good stuff in the mix too. A good year, overall.

norton canes

1. Proteus Vex
2. Jaegir
3. (Sinister) Dexter

It felt like Vex really fulfilled its potential last year, and 'Desire Paths' had a properly epic greatness. Jaegir's always been one of my favourites and it was nice to see it get a longer chapter. (Sinister) Dexter sneaks in third because Malice in Plunderland was such a brilliantly executed story.

Chimpsky was an ape's cape away from third and I was tempted to go for The Out until I realised it only had two episodes at the start of the year and one in the Xmas prog

Trooper McFad

1: Jaegir
2: (Sinister) Dexter
3: Chimpsky
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Timothy

1. Brink
2. Chimpsky
3. Proteus Vex.

WhizzBang

1. Chimpsky's Law
2. Kingmaker
3. The Out

Was there no Pandora Perfect in 2022?

broodblik

Quote from: WhizzBang on 03 January, 2023, 05:33:02 PM
Was there no Pandora Perfect in 2022?

Yes, in prog 2288. I think Norton include any regen stories
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

NapalmKev

1: The Out.

2: Proteus Vex.

3. Hope...

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

maryanddavid

The Out,
Proteus
Brink

Honourable mentions to Jaegir (much more please) and The Order.

Colin YNWA

The Prog is full of such great strips at the moment that my list omits some firm favourites such as Proteus Vex, The Order, Hershey and many more. Which is a shame in one way but absolute testament to Tharg's continuing innovation.

My top three are:

1. The Out
2. Brink (a little surprised the last story doesn't get more love, but I guess the review threads cover the reasons for that.)
3. Chimpsky's Law

Grush

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 January, 2023, 07:57:37 AM2. Brink (a little surprised the last story doesn't get more love, but I guess the review threads cover the reasons for that.)
It fell out of my top three this year. I'm not sure why, but this series just didn't click with me to the same degree as previous ones. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I suspect it'll read far better collected than it did in weekly chunks.