Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

it does seem to be a theme now...
DDT did a job on me

Leigh S

If Chibnall is working up to a Gallifey IS in Ireland, I will be smashing my screen Ian Levine style!  :lol:

Dandontdare

Quote from: von Boom on 25 February, 2020, 03:48:21 PM
Doctor: Stay here. I can protect you. Trust me.

30-seconds later, two dead.

Doctor: I can't protect you, run.

Erm, yeah.

To be fair, she also said "stay in the buildings and don't run"

And the doctor has long form in this - Recently  watched the Titanic Xmas episode and he made the same promise to the fat brummie couple (deceased).

judgeurko

Quote from: Leigh S on 25 February, 2020, 04:36:15 PM
If Chibnall is working up to a Gallifey IS in Ireland, I will be smashing my screen Ian Levine style!  :lol:
He's not.

Leigh S

I wish he had been

Has he never heard of Chekov's Death Particle?

Tosh doesn't begin to cover it.  dull tosh?  Dull, illogical tosh?  Dull, self important, illogica tosh?

I know saying that it felt like it was plotted by a 5 year old is lazy criticism, but not  fraction as lazy as this was.

"Only I can detonate the death thing... "  "Goodbye Doctor...."   "Hang on, I could do that, thinking about it!"  Cliche mounted on cliche, like a writer whose only exposure to fiction was old episodes of 80s cartoons ala Captain Planet (which come to think of it would explain the "theme of the week" as well)..

When the woman did the "The myth of the death particle" speech, I have to say that is some of the best acting I have seen in Doctor Who - to be fair, they all knocked their socks off to be able to deliver this static exposition heaped upon exposition - the catharsis of spurious morality had nothing on this beauty.

Colin YNWA

Yes there were some glaring bits of terrible overblown Force Awaken style action contrivance. Yes I'm not sure I need the Doctor to be... whatever the Doctor was there ... and christ The Master was an overblown panto villian and would have been so much more effective and creepy if dialled down about a notch or two... or twelve actually... as would the Cybermen if a simple story decision had been to limit their number, make things all the more plauisable and them all the more creepy, but you know what despite some terrible bits and all that I really enjoyed that.

I mean why the Doc let Ben Kenobi do [spoiler]the self sacrfice [/spoiler]bit just after he'd turned off the tractor beam seemed very out of character but I still liked it... not loved it for the various reasons above but it did, somehow, wrap things up well and make the second half of this season a satisfying whole.

moly

I enjoyed the final few episodes of the series and hope it continues like that next series, the less preachy episodes have been good and can't wait for the daleks

Leigh S

At one point I did think it was being deliberately awful, in a "I am a terribly clever writer and will SHOCK you as I twist this round" - when the Doctor blows the Matrixes mind by showing it 12/13 lives (despite it containing the whole of Timelord history) and she is lying on the floor, and the fam came in, it looked momentarily like it was filmed differently - like 80s video - I thought it was going to do a meta - fiction within fiction reveal that would set up an arc for next season maybe? Something Matrixy? Something that would explain the absolute howler that was the Death Particle (when your woman mentioned she knew all about it, I was convinced we were in meta territory!)

I'm reminded of Grant Morrison's time on X-Force(?) where he got loads of complaints from comics fans that he was being too poncey, so he deliberately wrote the most cliched episode he could.  when ll the plaudits started coming in "Morrison finally gets it!" etc etc, he sneered at his new found fans, claiming that it showed who he could write the shite everyone else did, but he was much too Superior for that....

This reminded me of that, but sadly, without the smug revelation that the writer could do anything more than Saturday Morning serial....

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 March, 2020, 08:18:06 PM
Yes there were some glaring bits of terrible overblown Force Awaken style action contrivance. Yes I'm not sure I need the Doctor to be... whatever the Doctor was there ... and christ The Master was an overblown panto villian and would have been so much more effective and creepy if dialled down about a notch or two... or twelve actually... as would the Cybermen if a simple story decision had been to limit their number, make things all the more plauisable and them all the more creepy, but you know what despite some terrible bits and all that I really enjoyed that.

I mean why the Doc let Ben Kenobi do [spoiler]the self sacrfice [/spoiler]bit just after he'd turned off the tractor beam seemed very out of character but I still liked it... not loved it for the various reasons above but it did, somehow, wrap things up well and make the second half of this season a satisfying whole.

IndigoPrime

Well, I thought that was fun.

Leigh S

I thought it was the very definition of not fun! sluggish pacing, sloppy exposition, cliched cyber action and convenient death particle, Doctor not willing to kill, but happy for others to do it for her (loving  the Cybermen and the Master  letting them have that little debate and giving her time to run to the TARDIS, great drama there...)

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 March, 2020, 09:40:05 PM

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 March, 2020, 09:40:05 PM

Yep. I've enjoyed more episodes (on balance) than I haven't, and the back end of this series has been great. I'll stick my neck out and say I think it's been as good a series as any since the revival.

(Which isn't to say it's delivered a high point as high as some of my favourites in previous series, but the clunkers haven't clunked as badly as some, either.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Monarch

I am with Jim on this!

Also i think that clears up the whole brain of moebius snarl in a tiny bow now :lol:

Bolt-01

That was proper silly fun.

Thoughts - Grahan & co now have a working TARDIS that looks like a house.
Was the 'mystery' Doctor potentially a pre-Hartnell incarnation?
How did the Judoon teleport into the Tardis? I thought that was not allowed.

Glad to see that Jodie is still going to be around for at least 'some' of the next run.

Hawkmumbler

Looms.

They canonised The Looms. The absolute nutters.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 02 March, 2020, 12:14:46 PM
Glad to see that Jodie is still going to be around for at least 'some' of the next run.

I thought she was signed up for the next season and did a search and yep she'd let slip earlier this year
Quote'I'm doing another season.'.
I mean that implies a full season right? Doesn't it I was hopeful. Though there was clearly a point (or two) in the last story that seemed built in for her to regenerated if needed!