Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Quote from: JWare on 25 November, 2022, 01:35:56 PMI remember the coronation in Sláine the King causing a bit of a stir.
It would have been a much bigger sensation if Mills hadn't bowdlerised his source.
It would never have been published if Mills hadn't bowdlerised his source. Slaine always felt a little more adult that other 2000AD strips of the same period, but there are limits.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

M.I.K.

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 May, 2023, 09:57:27 PMI've probably mentioned this before, but it took me about 30 years to get the 'Time Wastes' in Nemesis.

JayzusB.Christ

:D  :D

Feck me pink, I'd forgotten that song existed. I remember liking it when I was about 11 or 12.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

I remember wondering how one mills pebbles. "Very strong millstones," my Dad told me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Starting to learn Welsh and never really realised the name of England in Welsh is Lloegr.  Which is also the name of the big-bad in Zenith.  Intentional or coincidental?

JohnW

Something to do with many Angles, perhaps?
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Hawkmumbler

Pretty sure Lloiger is also some techno-gubbins in Lovecraft lore.

100% whatever it's context in said lore, 'ol Howard probably used it in a derogatory manner.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnW on 01 October, 2023, 05:50:38 PMSomething to do with many Angles, perhaps?

Now that was a good one - fair absolute play.  I spotted a town in Wales called Llantrisant.  100 points to whoever can say where in the prog a lantrisant can be found.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tjm86

Don't know where in the prog but it's the site of the hospital our youngest was born in.  Just up the road (okay, over the hill on the other side of town ...) from us.

Barrington Boots

Lloiger is an August Derleth thing connected to Lovecraft.

Lloegr is supposed to mean 'Lost Land' although I think that's disputed. My brother did some research on it for a music project so I've heard a lot about it!

Llantrisant is near my in-laws! Wales FTW.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JayzusB.Christ

I better say it, as it's a bit obscure - it was from Firekind. Memory is a bit hazy but I think a lantrisant (pronounced differently, I know) was some kind of symbiotic life-form that helped the dragons produce hexacrin.

JayzusB.Christ

Following on from Threadjacking, the most off-topic of the Off-Topic threads, I've just realised that the 'Let's knife!' catchphrase that Friday Rogue Trooper developed when things got very silly was a reference to an album by Shonen Knife, that Japanese pop-punk band beloved of Kurt Cobain and many more with-it 90s musicians.

Pretty sure I at least had a listen or two to that album back then, and should have made the connection.  Good band, awful catchphrase.  There was absolutely nothing about the character in Gibbons and Simpson's successful reboot strip that needed a fun soundbite, or indeed any follow-up stories at all for that matter.  Especially not those follow-up stories.

JohnW

That's one I'd never have spotted.

But speaking of musical references in nineties progs, wasn't there an allusion or two to the Pogues in something that Garth Ennis wrote?

I shouldn't mock. Ennis was in good company. It would have gone over my own head at the time, but there's a stretch of Moore's Swamp Thing that's larded with Tom Waits quotes.
(And thus we return to where this started in Threadjacking! Now if we could only find Johnny Logan songs in, say, an early Mark Millar story, then the circle of posts would be complete.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JohnW on 15 October, 2023, 01:09:54 PMThat's one I'd never have spotted.

But speaking of musical references in nineties progs, wasn't there an allusion or two to the Pogues in something that Garth Ennis wrote?

An astute reader may also have noticed very subtle nods towards Unforgiven, the Northern Ireland troubles, drinking and buggery.

Jim_Campbell

I genuinley can't believe how many episodes of 'Azimuth' I lettered before the "Suzi Nine Millimetre" penny dropped.  :o
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.