Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Q. Twerk == Cute Work.

Just got that now.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

I, Cosh

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 12 December, 2023, 04:13:16 AMQ. Twerk == Cute Work.

Just got that now.
Me too. Except I didn't finally get it, I had it explained to me by Pete Wells.
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 November, 2022, 12:02:39 AMWow. Like I said, I was 11.  The telly was showing the Real Ghostbusters to my age group, while Tharg was providing a naked man drinking his own bath broth shortly after shagging a goddess in front of a crowd, and ripping someone's heart out through his throat.

I only found out last month that Winston in the Real Ghostbusters was played by Arsenio Hall* (best known to British audiences from the role in Coming to America).

* series one to three only.

JayzusB.Christ

I really wasn't a fan of Ennis's A Clockwork Pineapple, or any of his early Dredds, but I've just realised that story fixed what I thought was a bit of Wagner / Grant dodgy Dredd continuity.

Namely, why did the Apocalypse War establish that there was a Sov language, but Dredd could somehow understand and respond to the Sov Judges when they spoke to each other? Garth was on the case - all MC1 judges are taught Sov, for defence reasons!

(There may have been something in the war story that contradicts that but I'm filtering it out. Also the fact that Garth's Sovs are called Markimarkov, Brylkreem and Traktorfaktori.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GordonR

30-plus years on, those Sov Judge names continue to be Total Cringe.

But thank goodness he fixed a minor story logic glitch absolutely nobody cared about.

M.I.K.

Well Mr. Ennis obviously cared about it enough to address it and Jayzus noticed, so that's two folk.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: GordonR on 11 January, 2024, 11:04:11 PM30-plus years on, those Sov Judge names continue to be Total Cringe.

Well, I'm not arguing with that, they were awful.  Trying to write someone called Traktorfaktori into a later story about a cool, supposedly sinister assassin just made the whole thing farcical.

With about two or three exceptions, I didn't like any of Ennis's Dredds back then, and resented the fact that all those years of intricately crafted continuity were cast aside for a clearly inferior and inexperienced writer (albeit one who has since become one of the best in the business, fair play to him).

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

GoGilesGo

I totally failed to realise the Uplift deputy from Lawless shares his name with the tallest mountain in Africa.

Guess I must have been concentrating so much on his first name, and its murderous implications. 

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 12 January, 2024, 08:08:54 AMI totally failed to realise the Uplift deputy from Lawless shares his name with the tallest mountain in Africa.

Guess I must have been concentrating so much on his first name, and its murderous implications. 

That's what Dan Abnett does best.  I suspect I've missed about half the punning names in SinDex over the years.

Cleverest one ever for me was the eatery called The Hot Pot 'n' News on the Square.

Dash Decent

It's the 'on the Square' that real makes it.

I'm clearly in the minority but I think Josef Traktorfaktori is a brilliant name for a Sov.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

JayzusB.Christ

I think you might well be in a minority there alright, me old squaxx! The daft names are all well and good in a short, knockabout comedy Dredd tale, but imagine the Apocalypse War had been orchestrated by Supreme Judge Skodamekanik and War Marshal Teskotroli.

I thought Al Ewing did a better job of comedy Sov names in the Mars Attacks crossover, which iirc occurred in a slightly different continuity. Judge Brianklov was my favourite.

Dash Decent

Yes, I think Rogue Trooper is great and Souther should rhyme with mother.  I'm definitely, definitely in the minority!  And now I want a story with Judge Skodamekanik in it.

Brianklov = Brian Clough?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 January, 2024, 10:07:24 AMWar Marshal Teskotroli.

The fact I found this unreasonably funny is probably quite telling.

Funt Solo

Judge Dredd - no problem - he's something to dread.
Judge Goodman - no problem - he was too good for his own ... wellness.
Rogue - no problem - he has gone rogue.
Nick Stone - no problem - he's rugged!
Maeve the Many-Armed - check!
Judge Traktorfactori - fuck off - he's not a factory, he doesn't shit tractors!

Sorry - just had to think that through.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dash Decent on 12 January, 2024, 02:54:46 PMYes, I think Rogue Trooper is great and Souther should rhyme with mother.  I'm definitely, definitely in the minority!  And now I want a story with Judge Skodamekanik in it.

Brianklov = Brian Clough?

Whilst I haven't a clue about football, yep, that's the one.

I always said Souther like mother too, but then heard that a souther is a kind of wind and is pronounced like Leslie Crowther, which I think is how I said it on Eamonn's podcast.