Main Menu

2000AD's success is down to the Scots

Started by Emperor, 26 February, 2012, 03:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 04 March, 2012, 12:38:45 PM
That must say something surely? After all with Scotland aiming for independence and Northern Ireland becoming either re absorbed by the South or itself becomes an independent Republic, the break up of Britain and the identity that went with it must surely be on the cards?
Interesting to see it described this way from outside. At least I assume it's from outside. I think it would be nearer the mark to say there is a vocal element in Scottish politics advocating a symbolic move towards independence. It is certainly not a universal viewpoint and, I would contend, not even a majority one in Scotland.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

And I'm as Scotch as Middenface McNulty's auld grannie.
We never really die.

Mardroid

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 March, 2012, 12:21:16 PM
Im English, though blood wise im only slightly more Anglo-Saxon than Celt.
Is anybody 100% anything? Doubt it.

From a blood point of view, I'm not sure there's such a thing as 'Celtic' really. Unless one is referring to people descended from those who were in Britain before the Anglo-saxon invasions.  It's thought the actual Celts were actually a minority ruling a majority, imposing their culture and language, so it's more a cultural than blood thing. From a blood point of view... modern DNA research strongly suggests the majority of the genetic contribution to the British isles as a whole including England were those ancient pre-Celtic British people.

A DNA inventory of Scotland suggested they were not noticeably more British/Celtic than the English. (It was done for that documentary Blood of the Vikings. Remember that?) That's not to say they're not descended from those people. It just means a good proportion of English people are too. No doubt we have Anglo-Saxon ancestry too, but it seems they actually contribute a small proportion of our genetic heritage. (Of course the conclusions might have been erroneous. It fascinated me though as up until relatively recently it was thought the Anglo-Saxons pretty much wiped out or drove away the previous inhabitants, meaning the majority of English were of Anglo-Saxon and Danish origin. Apparently not true! Or rather we ARE descended from them, but only a bit. ;) )

Course it's not really about blood is it? It's how we all see ourselves, cos in the end, it's all in the mind anyway.

Concerning Scottish independence, I'm all for it if it's what the majority of Scottish people want. And I'm English.

And is 2000 AD's success down to the Scots. Sure. Amongst others, but they're certainly major contributors.

Trout

Quote from: The Cosh on 04 March, 2012, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 04 March, 2012, 12:38:45 PM
That must say something surely? After all with Scotland aiming for independence and Northern Ireland becoming either re absorbed by the South or itself becomes an independent Republic, the break up of Britain and the identity that went with it must surely be on the cards?
Interesting to see it described this way from outside. At least I assume it's from outside. I think it would be nearer the mark to say there is a vocal element in Scottish politics advocating a symbolic move towards independence. It is certainly not a universal viewpoint and, I would contend, not even a majority one in Scotland.

I think that's why a proper, reasoned debate is needed. It's about time the issue was settled, one way or another.

I also feel a bit bad when I see some people in the south implying that it's somehow a terrible insult upon them. Nobody's talking about building a big wall along the border. Whatever happens, Scotland's going to be in the same place. It's a political issue and nobody should take it personally.

- Trout

TordelBack

Quote from: King Trout on 05 March, 2012, 01:09:29 AM
Nobody's talking about building a big wall along the border.

Third time's the charm!

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

IAMTHESYSTEM

Jamaica is making moves towards Independence. I think this has to be the shape of things to come since inevitably times change and relationships do either souring or becoming too brittle to be worth maintaining.

What has an Island in the Caribbean to gain by being associated with an Island off the coast of Europe? Not much. Better to go it alone make your own fate or feel you are then be tied to a country thousands of miles away.

Such movements are like the Plates beneath the Earth shifting. It's always very slight but a constant drift and whatever common bonds held it together becomes fractious till they break. They're replaced by another idea based on ideology or geography or both.

Ever gone back to somewhere you thought you knew and found it almost alien? It's because change is constant sometimes quick but mostly imperceptible. What once was, was and can never be again.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

the 'artist' formerly known as Slips

being a Scot living in England, I find all the reporting on the Independence issue rather strange.  There seems to be an overwhelming view that all Scots want independence, in my own personal experience that isnt true.  Amongst my family its about a 50:50 split, amongst friends its closer to 60:40 for, even those who want independence dont see it as a cut and dried thing. 

There are a couple of things Ive noticed about this,
1.  Alex Salmond has more charisma and drive than any politician in Westminster.  He's driven by his own ideals but he doesnt seem to play to the media, at least in Westminster. 
2.  A lot of the problems the English have with Scottish independence comes from their own lack of representation at a national level.  There is no English Parliament, only a 'British' one and its powers affect always England.  Of course the fact that those whose powers are devolved just exasserbate the problem by voting for things which dont affect them.   

Personally, Ive lived in England nearly all of my adult life.  Im proud to be a Scot, but Im not entirely convinced by Indpendence and Id say its not really my choice.  not having lived there for 20 odd years.  One thing I have noticed is this fudging by politicians of the number of questions, adding in 16 and 17 year olds, etc.  To avoid fallout and problems, the question needs to be a simple yes or no.  Anything else could be spinned politically, which would just give resentment some way or another. 

yer Viking, Anglo-Saxon Celt Slips
"They tried and failed, all of them?"
"Oh, no." she shook her head "They tried and died"
Mostly Sarcastic & flippant

Emperor

Quote from: Judge Jack on 04 March, 2012, 01:12:03 PM
What if Scotland wins 2000ad in the divorce settlement - thanks to the Heralds bold claim standing up in court, and they refuse to sell it to England?
Its all got very "Argentinian", dont ya think?

Don't worry, I realised the implications of this as soon as I read the article and I now have David Cameron's personal word that he is taking The 2000AD Situation as seriously as the current Argentinian threats about the Falklands. There is an SAS "protection" squad in the woods near John Wagner's house - he is a national assest and we won't be having any of this theft of the stone of Scone nonsense again.

Quote from: vzzbux on 04 March, 2012, 10:18:08 AM
None of you half breeds or like me quarter breeds.
The way I see it if one of your parents is English and you are born in England then you are English.

My parents are English (or at least born in England - they'd probably say they are British) but I wasn't born in England... so I'm British.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

vzzbux

As I said in a later post I see us as a United Kingdom of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland first. That comment was for the nit picking nationalists from all over the world who see themselves as, for say, Irish because their great great grandad was from Ireland yet for their whole life have lived in Outer Mongolia.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Old Tankie

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 05 March, 2012, 01:14:58 PM
Jamaica is making moves towards Independence. I think this has to be the shape of things to come since inevitably times change and relationships do either souring or becoming too brittle to be worth maintaining.

What has an Island in the Caribbean to gain by being associated with an Island off the coast of Europe? Not much. Better to go it alone make your own fate or feel you are then be tied to a country thousands of miles away.

Such movements are like the Plates beneath the Earth shifting. It's always very slight but a constant drift and whatever common bonds held it together becomes fractious till they break. They're replaced by another idea based on ideology or geography or both.

Ever gone back to somewhere you thought you knew and found it almost alien? It's because change is constant sometimes quick but mostly imperceptible. What once was, was and can never be again.

Err!  Jamaica's been independent for 50 years!  Glad to see you're keeping up with world events!!

WhitBloke

Quote from: Slips on 05 March, 2012, 01:43:42 PM
A lot of the problems the English have with Scottish independence comes from their own lack of representation at a national level.  There is no English Parliament, only a 'British' one and its powers affect always England.  Of course the fact that those whose powers are devolved just exasserbate the problem by voting for things which dont affect them.   

That's a regrettable truth, Slips.  I certainly agree with you, though I can't help but suggest a further element is that an independence referendum for Scotland would inherently give Scotland a rightful choice that many in England would, bizarrely enough, appreciate sharing.  Namely, the option to tell the city-state of London they want nothing to do with them anymore.
Maybe I more accurately mean Westminst...  Westmin...  Westm....  Oh.  Oh, dear.  I feel a politely-rejected but definitely-rejected Future Shock submission coming on...  Excuse me.
So this is der place then, Johnny?