New Hellboy Film.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 19 February, 2023, 10:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Daveycandlish

I'm not going to get too excited about it until they announce some cast.
I thought the last one was half decent but needed an extra pass through the editing suit.
I still prefer Ron Perlman as Ol' Red but that ship has sailed.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

RookieNerd

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 19 February, 2023, 04:47:45 PMI'm not going to get too excited about it until they announce some cast.
I thought the last one was half decent but needed an extra pass through the editing suit.
I still prefer Ron Perlman as Ol' Red but that ship has sailed.

De-aging and face mapping tech so they could stick his face on any body. He can still talk well enough between his odd video rants?

IndigoPrime

I mean, fair enough that they're having another crack at this, but it does feel like a property that's just not landing with the mainstream. Interesting, though, that they're going for the angle that this will be the first 'authentic' version of the strip on film.

I think that at least is fair enough. I enjoyed the Del Toro films, and when I interviewed Mignola, it was clear he was no bystander. But they were very different propositions from the comic in key ways. This wasn't too much of an issue, though, because their world building was solid, the performances were great, the films looked good, and the second one in particular had a kind of otherworldliness that made it feel very Hellboy, even if it was some way from the source.

I did eventually watch the Harbour film. I thought he was good, but the film itself was a mess. It was trying to do too much and ended up saying relatively little. It was also odd that films would try to use a story towards the end of the run (and one that in the comics was transformative) as the set-up for a new run of films, but there you go.

Honestly, I'm not optimistic about another film, and as much as I loved Crank, that's an odd choice of director for this property. But who knows? It'd be great if it manages to be profitable and kick off a series of movies, rather than for the third time running aground.

Richmond Clements

This just feels to me like a knock something out to retain the rights type thing.

GordonR

Has there ever been a less successful but somehow continuing movie franchise than the Hellboy movies?

The first Del Toro movie wasn't very successful, and it took four years and a change of studio to somehow do the second one. Which was even less of a success

The Neil Marshall 2019 reboot was an all-round disaster, but here we are again with a fourth stab at an IP that's never made any money as a movie.

Maybe there's hope for Dredd yet.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: GordonR on 20 February, 2023, 06:55:55 PMHas there ever been a less successful but somehow continuing movie franchise than the Hellboy movies?

I believe Starship Troopers is up to film 5 - but I'm not sure this counts as the first film is a classic while the rest... aren't. Good CGI, though.

Quote from: GordonR on 20 February, 2023, 06:55:55 PMMaybe there's hope for Dredd yet.

I think there is.

Hell, even Metal Hurlant got two seasons - and that's French*.

*Satire. J'aime tous les humains de la Terre.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 February, 2023, 07:15:44 PM
Quote from: GordonR on 20 February, 2023, 06:55:55 PMHas there ever been a less successful but somehow continuing movie franchise than the Hellboy movies?

I believe Starship Troopers is up to film 5 - but I'm not sure this counts as the first film is a classic while the rest... aren't. Good CGI, though.

Quote from: GordonR on 20 February, 2023, 06:55:55 PMMaybe there's hope for Dredd yet.

I think there is.

Hell, even Metal Hurlant got two seasons - and that's French*.

*Satire. J'aime tous les humains de la Terre.

I agree that Hero of the Federation  was completely crap at its core, but Marauder...? That was a vast improvement to its previous instalment by a wide margin.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

The Legendary Shark

True, but a vast improvement on complete crap only gets us (in this case and imo) to mediocre. The later cgi installments do, however, suggest that a full-on animated Dredd (or SD, or RT, or just about anything) could be great.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

The Del Toro films hold a special place in my heart for the time for reasons I can't quite describe as they're merely risible at best, though I will admit it's been the best part of a decade since I saw either.

Hellbore 2019 was pish, THAT stunk of IP retention for days, and a second attempt at rebooting the series can only improve upon it's forbears sins.

Link Prime

Hellboy is an odd one for me.
I was indifferent to the first one, LOVED the second one and didn't even make it through the trailer for the third one.
Is Harbour even coming back for this or did he bail?

IndigoPrime

Given that they're starting again, I imagine that'd mean a new lead. He was good, FWIW. The film as a whole... was not.